Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

14 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Not really seeing the point of this one.

We probably have too many midfielders already.

I think the re-emergence of Donnelly has helped with the midfield but O'Hara's injured and hasn't kicked a ball since the start of November and I'd say this probably puts more of a question mark over whether Crawford stays.

It'd also probably rule Grimshaw out of being viewed as a midfield option.

In that case it's Maguire, Slattery, Donnelly, Goss, Tierney, Cornelius for the 3 midfield spots.

I've thought that while we've a number of bodies in midfield there's still a slight issue with the balance/blend so I get why we'd be looking at another midfielder.

Having said that, I know next to f**k all about Shaw other than he got Sheffield Wednesday fans bent out of shape by moving to Celtic for a reduced training compensation.

Edited by capt_oats

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I think the re-emergence of Donnelly has helped with the midfield but O'Hara's injured and hasn't kicked a ball since the start of November and I'd say this probably puts more of a question mark over whether Crawford stays.

It'd also probably rule Grimshaw out of being viewed as a midfield option.

In that case it's Maguire, Slattery, Donnelly, Goss, Tierney, Cornelius for the 3 midfield spots.

I've thought that while we've a number of bodies in midfield there's still a slight issue with the balance/blend.

I know next to f**k all about Shaw other than he got Sheffield Wednesday fans bent out of shape by moving to Celtic for a reduced training compensation.

I don't think we have been short of bodies in the middle of the park in the first half of the season. Cornelius has shown he is good enough to be considered for the startng eleven.

If we could punt Crawford then maybe it makes sense but even then it would be replacing a guy who has played zero minutes in the league.

I had a good laugh at the Terrace podcast, i think it as Thom Watt who saying we had a settled midfield despite not starting the same 3 midfielders in back to back games since October. That was Grimshaw, Slattery, Goss in the loss to Utd and then the draw with St. Mirren. And I am not sure what Alexander's preferred midfield is other than Sean Goss is in it.

8 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I don't think we have been short of bodies in the middle of the park in the first half of the season. Cornelius has shown he is good enough to be considered for the startng eleven.

If we could punt Crawford then maybe it makes sense but even then it would be replacing a guy who has played zero minutes in the league.

I had a good laugh at the Terrace podcast, i think it as Thom Watt who saying we had a settled midfield despite not starting the same 3 midfielders in back to back games since October. That was Grimshaw, Slattery, Goss in the loss to Utd and then the draw with St. Mirren. And I am not sure what Alexander's preferred midfield is other than Sean Goss is in it.

Aye, I don't think we've been short of bodies either but it feels like we're heavy reliant on Goss so if I was adding to the midfield I'd be looking to take some of that weight off him as IIRC he was prone to some injuries when he was at Shrewsbury and is fond of a daft booking.

Digging about the Sheffield Weds forum to see what they were saying and found a few posts in their Liam Shaw thread, aside from the general mewling about him fucking off to Celtic this seems to be what he's about:

"You can already tell how talented he is 

His range of passing, bursts of movement and he's finding spaces and riding challenges from big blokes - he'll be a very, very good player if he moves away ASAP."

"Can’t be bothered to read all the posts in this thread but Shaw was our best player last night, some of his passing was great and better than the captain’s who is meant to be some passing genius, last seen in 2016.

Shaw seems to still be putting the effort in so I would play him till he runs himself into the ground.  Won’t be our fitness problem over the summer anymore"

Oh, and this one's for the position massive (looking at you @Busta Nut).

1655833129_ScreenShot2022-01-06at00_30_00.png.d9074ae1630b6b9a26c4e217d9d1848c.png

Edited by capt_oats

I'd only be interested in taking a player from them if a) we were short or had a distinct need b) there was a means to secure him ourselves (see Jack Hendry) if it works out.

If it's merely padding out a part of the park we now seemingly have a bit of depth in because a number of players have grown in stature over the past few months (when it was looking shaky as the window closed in the summer) and bettering a player for a rival, then I see no benefit.

However players are not the priority as I see it, nobody (even the top league scorer) has had more effect on where we are now than the manager. An extension for continuity and security would be top of my list of January deals.

6 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Good to see the club not fucking about. Sign our Nadir? We'll take your top transfer target in retaliation.

Our top target is Cameron MacPherson. I believe it would strike a real blow if another team managed to pinch him from under our nose.

Where did that best role thing come from? @capt_oats

4 minutes ago, Radford said:

Our top target is Cameron MacPherson. I believe it would strike a real blow if another team managed to pinch him from under our nose.

Where did that best role thing come from? @capt_oats

:lol: - it came from the no doubt 100% accurate FM22 database (and as such probably shouldn't be taken too seriously).

We were talking ramdeuters the other day so it tickled me to see the bold Liam listed as a mezzala

Not really arsed about St Johnston signing Nadir. He was okay for us but bar a dead rubber against Accies I don't remember him doing a great deal. If they were to sign Gboly however...

I'm also liking the sound of Liam Shaw. Another midfielder probably isn't the necessity it looked to be a couple of months ago but he has a decent number of appearances in the English Championship and the Sheffield Wednesday fans seem to rate him. I'm not really one for helping develop players for the Old Firm but if he can come in, add to our current squad and play a part in a decent 2nd half of the season then I don't think too many will complain.

As we are seemingly taking a longer term view of building the squad with 3 year deals being handed out all over the place, it's interesting that we're looking to take on a short term loan. I assume this means that we are prepared to wait until the summer window to get a permanent signing in there (which I would be fine with TBH). 

It's also ironic that the club are addressing something that has been a glaring weakness from the early part of the season at a time where with the emergence of Cornelius, the bonus return of Donnelly and the fact that Goss is (against all odds) looking like an excellent signing, that the concerns have gone away to some extent.

10 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

We need to maintain our higher-than-average quotient of "Liams".

Always remember a festive newspaper line which described us as a "Feast of Stevens" in the late 90s/Early 00s?

Presumably, from memory, would be what, Woods, Hammell, McMillan and Nicholas? Maybe Craig and or Craigan?