Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

26 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I actually thought Lawless was a good signing on paper, he seemed to do a good job at this level for Livi. Whereas on the other hand I couldn’t believe in Roberts we’d signed a guy who couldn’t get off Hearts’ bench in the championship.

Sadly other than the odd flash in the league cup group and assist against St. Johnstone, he was utterly ineffectual.

I also do struggle to believe it was entirely his decision to go. Not quite sure you would wait until the window has shut and you can’t go anywhere else to bring the situation up. I imagine there was mutual consent somewhere in there.

I don't know if it's from the same press conference or if it's a different interview but he's talking to Alan Temple in The Courier:

“Rather than me being a bad apple — something I never want to be — I went to speak to [Motherwell chief executive] Alan Burrows, who I’ve known for a long time, and said, ‘I can’t be that person in training who brings the place down’.

“We came to an agreement that I would move on. I was quite happy and, although no-one at Motherwell would say so, they probably feel the same way. I wasn’t in the plans.

“But there’s no ill-will towards Motherwell at all. I’ve known Alan Burrows for a long time and I’ve had many years there. It’s just the way football works out sometimes.”

Link

Edited by capt_oats

BBC Scotland Gossip page (via Sunday Post), Clavin Ramsay linked with a £4m move from Aberdeen to Frankfurt. If it is the case and he does go for that and while a decent player and prospect, it seems if using this as a datum, Turnbull went for a song. I get while wingbacks are key in the modern game with Paterson being muted for Everton for crazy money too with little to show for it other than a lot of hype and glimpses of potential. A proven playmaker in Turnbull which are more rare to unearth seems like a bargain and I'd be surprised if most Celtic fans felt any different.

All I'm saying is, get Lennon Miller on a £10m release clause ASAP.

Edited by Kapowzer

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Surely one of our most pointless signings ever.

I mean, aye, in the sense he never actually played a minute but I think there's probably a bit of context.

Whether he was here as a favour to an agent or just someone we wanted a look at I get the feeling that we "signed" him largely because you can't play trialists and we needed bodies for the Betfred groups and to fill out the squad in pre-season through to the end of the summer window.

The short term deal said a lot and when you look at his profile in contrast to the majority of our other signings it feels like it was only ever intended to be the shortest of short term as cover - Donnelly was coming back from long term injury, neither Slattery or Goss had signed yet, Tierney was still in Ireland and the bench was literally school weans.

Edited by capt_oats

So with the bold Mich'el away this is how the squad looks at the moment.

949186946_ScreenShot2022-01-02at21_04_47.thumb.png.97b1a55b404f37fbe6cf63a45f09d2f1.png

O'Hara and O'Connor seem to be long term injuries. O'Hara's last appearance was 6th November against Aberdeen.

There's an obvious question mark over Watt and Roberts' loan is up this month albeit his options are limited to either Hearts or us (or moving to a club on a different calendar).

Also:

Edited by capt_oats

7 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Why would we want any of Utd players? Especially guys classed as make-weights?

If anything Utd should be taking our make-weights. How about they pay 6 months of wages to Robbie Crawford.

Yep - we've got a pretty good squad this season, hard to see how it would be improved  by taking rejects from a team that are currently below us in the league and bottom of the form table. To be fair, this suggestion isn't coming from Motherwell and given that we have been putting a lot of thought into our recruitment recently, it doesn't make any sense.

I bet they offer us Mark Reynolds.

30 minutes ago, Swello said:

Yep - we've got a pretty good squad this season, hard to see how it would be improved  by taking rejects from a team that are currently below us in the league and bottom of the form table. To be fair, this suggestion isn't coming from Motherwell and given that we have been putting a lot of thought into our recruitment recently, it doesn't make any sense.

I bet they offer us Mark Reynolds.

The other thing is even minus Watt it still leaves us with a squad of 25 players. Unless others are planning on being moved out in this window we don't actually need any more bodies.

Even then, while I'm sure we'd be looking to replace Watt should he move I'd imagine we'll have our own ideas of who we want to bring in without having to limit ourselves to whatever dross United have on offer.

I could see you being intrigued by a deal that involves you getting an Appere tbh. Let Roberts loan expire and get a permanent deal done for a younger player.

Can play wide or up front. Physical. Strong runner and likes to carry the ball. Seems a very Alexander signing to me?

If a deal is done it should be cash, but how much?  If we drop a league place and they rise one that is a swing of £170k+. Is that the starting position?  Is it £250k or £400k, what is it worth to United, what is it worth to us?

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I could see you being intrigued by a deal that involves you getting an Appere tbh. Let Roberts loan expire and get a permanent deal done for a younger player.

Can play wide or up front. Physical. Strong runner and likes to carry the ball. Seems a very Alexander signing to me?

That's the only player I'd have thought might even be of vague interest.

He plays "across the front 3" and is out of contract in the summer. He turns 23 in March so they've missed the boat for development money and could walk for free.

This is really the only point where he still has some sort of negotiable "value" (unless he signs a new contract) but he's only started 4 league games, subbed on in 8 so there's an argument we'd be able to offer more game time.

He's one of those where there's potential but it's not like he's a nailed on starter for them. You'd think he'd also fit in our budget in terms of wages as well.

In this scenario I'd imagine Roberts would probably extend his loan but it could be more about replacing Amaluzor in the summer.

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That's the only player I'd have thought might even be of vague interest.

He plays "across the front 3" and is out of contract in the summer. He turns 23 in March so they've missed the boat for development money and could walk for free.

This is really the only point where he still has some sort of negotiable "value" (unless he signs a new contract) but he's only started 4 league games, subbed on in 8 so there's an argument we'd be able to offer more game time.

He's one of those where there's potential but it's not like he's a nailed on starter for them. You'd think he'd also fit in our budget in terms of wages as well.

In this scenario I'd imagine Roberts would probably extend his loan but it'd could be more about replacing Amaluzor in the summer.

Yeah he makes sense. Tbh if you're interested in him I'd find it fucking hilarious if you rejected any swap deal involving him, agreed a PCA to sign him in the Summer, then left Watt rotting in the stands.