Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Panic ye not...

BBC Breaking news:

"Ryan Lowe has resigned as manager of League One Plymouth Argyle, who have appointed assistant Steven Schumacher as his successor.

Lowe, 43, is expected to be named as boss of Championship side Preston.

Argyle said a club in a higher division had activated a clause to speak to Lowe, who expressed a desire to leave."

3 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Are they? I can only see their usual Gossip link to whatever crap the papers are coming out with.

Alexander was as far out as 33/1 last night. Lowe was odds on, and from the way it played out there were never any other candidates in the running.

BBC posted this Tweet at 10am and Alexander ended up 5/1.

Granted it doesn't usually take much to move manager markets but this is the headline they were linking to (via The Sun).

1349911648_ScreenShot2021-12-07at15_04_52.thumb.png.1a368e0010ffb3a4368f8e5157c10e9c.png

I guess the BBC are after clicks just like everyone else.

10 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

ICT in the cup for the showdown we all want: Goss vs Polworth. 

Unless I'm being whooshed here (very possible), does Polworth not play for Killie....

On 06/12/2021 at 20:30, 'WellDel said:

Quite something if you're a 23 year old 'professional footballer' and that is your entire online highlights reel!!

I checked his "best actions" section on WyScout and nothing appears 😂

Listed as only playing 3 games on there too, EFL trophy in 2019 when West Ham U21s lost 3-1 to Exeter, then 2 games at U18 level for Liverpool. His 1v1 defensive reel is great fun to watch.

On Parker, I was quite pissy when we announced him largely because at that point we'd heard from both Burrows and Alexander that we were changing our recruitment strategy but other than a vague "we'll need to be patient, we want to bring in the right players" promise it wasn't clear what that strategy actually was.

At the point we announced Parker (literally the night before our second LC group game) we'd announced Shields, Amaluzor, Woolery, Van Veen, Kelly and O'Connor.

As it goes, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

In hindsight it feels like there's an argument that the likes of Parker and to varying degrees Amaluzor and O'Connor were more placeholders in the squad than anything. @superward mentioned in a post yesterday "At worst, it means we can play 11 v 11 in training." that doesn't feel far from the truth tbh - I'm not sure it even qualifies as a punt if the intention was to cover the games until the end of the summer transfer window.

Unlike the Robinson Strategy where we'd sign a clutch of players on 1 year deals and hope we could improve enough into serviceable first team players (which we did with plenty tbf) and ditch the rest, of our 12 permanent signings so far this season only 3 have been on short term deals. In Parker's case, the shortest of short.

For the most part, the players we seem to have invested in - the 2 and 3 year guys, have been varying degrees of successful.

Tierney's the first of our January signings and on a 3.5 year deal, I'm genuinely curious as to what sort of movement we're looking at in this window. Especially given Roberts' loan expires, we've already binned Lawleff off and there are question marks over a pile of players whose deals expire in the summer.

Edited by capt_oats