Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I see this has resulted in us now getting it in the neck from Rangers fans, as it apparently proves we're "even more a time wasting negative side than Motherwell".

Its great stuff tbh, Rangers fans have been melting down on Twitter about our lack of ball boys since the game and I've no idea why.

I thought you guys were just being cheap by not using ball boys.

Is there any stats available for average dead minutes in different leagues?

37 minutes ago, bennett said:

Is there any stats available for average dead minutes in different leagues?

Shouldn't the 20x wage gap and thus calibre of player equate to you dominating and winning games rather than trying to find any other outlyer angle as an excuse?Gerrard's summer signings haven't yet improved on what you had, you're a bit all over the place and flat emphasised by I don't think you've had the same goalkeeper and back line yet this season. As for your forwards, it's near impossible to pick any of your players guaranteed a regular start.

But you'll be glad to hear as you only concern yourselves with what going on in the East End, the other half of the arse cheek have gone from being world beaters after their two 6-0's to "ahhh well it's a rebuilding season" again.

5nobwn.jpg

I see this has resulted in us now getting it in the neck from Rangers fans, as it apparently proves we're "even more a time wasting negative side than Motherwell".
Its great stuff tbh, Rangers fans have been melting down on Twitter about our lack of ball boys since the game and I've no idea why.
Your xBB score is pretty poor tbh, and your BBAR* is embarrassing, but it's being balanced out by your SG/90** and HDTTTWO***

* ball boys above replacement
** Seethe generation per 90
*** how dare they try to win outrage
**** Four asterisks

7 hours ago, bennett said:

We've not had ball boys since Covid hit for obvious reasons.

I've enjoyed Rangers fans twisting that into some machiavellian scheme to destroy Rangers one second at a time though by making their players jog to get the ball.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We've not had ball boys since Covid hit for obvious reasons.

I've enjoyed Rangers fans twisting that into some machiavellian scheme to destroy Rangers one second at a time though by making their players jog to get the ball.

You could at least have these little cars with a ball on top, especially for games against the Glasgow overlords.  Give Gerrard the remote and the hordes would be happy.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

You could at least have these little cars with a ball on top, especially for games against the Glasgow overlords.  Give Gerrard the remote and the hordes would be happy.

Little tractors IMO.

Not to wilfully give "RangersReview55" traffic but in light of the whole 'dead time' narrative that was being pushed yesterday this breakdown of our goal tickled me.

As Lyon manager Peter Bosz explained in midweek: "Change side every time as then it was going to be difficult for Rangers as they have to run a lot and will get tired and it will open up for you."

How did this combine for the equaliser? Motherwell went backwards to go forwards.

During the Euros, tactical writer Michael Cox explained how Italy would often attack by first going backwards, enticing the opposition out of their shape and exploiting the subsequent areas opened up.

Without a recognisable No.10, they relied on creativity from deep and to utilise that, coaxing the opposition into a press was necessary.

A similar tactic was used by Graham Alexander's side yesterday and explains why they often looked long. The above stats regarding their long kicks show they believed they could open Rangers up by making the pitch big and creating gaps.

We've been taking our cues from Mancini's Italy lads...I mean, maybe we have IDK.

Perhaps the media team can ask #Grezza or get him on The Coach's Voice to do a bit, you can't avoid Jack Ross on that account at the moment. In fact Lasley was a speaker for them the other week as well.

Edited by capt_oats

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Not to wilfully give "RangersReview55" traffic but in light of the whole 'dead time' narrative that was being pushed yesterday this breakdown of our goal tickled me.

We've been taking our cues from Mancini's Italy lads...I mean, maybe we have IDK.

Perhaps the media team can ask #Grezza or get The Coach's Voice to do a bit, you can't avoid Jack Ross on that account at the moment. In fact Lasley was a speaker for them the other week as well.

I've read a few places that the first half was Rangers' best performance of the season - but I never felt like we were getting a doing at any point. Arguably Aberdeen and Dundee were every bit as effective "box to box" and created some better chances. Maybe says a lot about Rangers season so far or that I'm already used to opposition having tons of possession. 

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

I've read a few places that the first half was Rangers' best performance of the season - but I never felt like we were getting a doing at any point. Arguably Aberdeen and Dundee were every bit as effective "box to box" and created some better chances. Maybe says a lot about Rangers season so far or that I'm already used to opposition having tons of possession. 

Neil McCann said it on Rangers TV then on Sportscene.  As you, I thought Aberdeen and Dundee looked far more dangerous in the first half against us...

16 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
2 hours ago, ropy said:
Is it time to consider pizza slices at the kiosk?

I'm sure we did pizza years ago. They were absolutely rotten.

After getting caught behind a crash on the M74 a few years back and only getting into the ground about 3 minutes before half time I got saddled with a macaroni pie which was horrendous. But then Lionel done this and it was all sound. 

3 hours ago, Swello said:

It's not the same thing but I've been thinking for a while about the difference between this team/set-up and the positions we found ourselves under Robinson where post-match he'd have the excuse (for want of a better word) about us being a "young" side and talk about naivety or whatever. That game against County where we were up with 15 to go and ended up down to 10 men and shipping 2 springs to mind.

This version of the team and #Grezzaball seems to put us in a much better place in terms of "game management" and a player like Slattery (who's still only 22 and has a handful of first team games) seems to be absolutely massive in making that work.

I suppose the point I'm getting at is that while teams are having a shitload of possession against us it feels less "backs against the wall" than it would have previously because there's more of an element of control in what we're doing. Or something.

Also, just to add, it was an absolute treat to find @thisGRAEME was doing The Terrace pod after the result on Sunday and after my initial caution I'm more than happy to fall in line with his shout that we've had the best window of any team in the league.