Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Quote from Gerard today is interesting as it is almost word for word what McPake and Glass have said in the previous 2 games - almost like there is something deliberate going on...

“I think box to box today we played some outstanding stuff. We got there on numerous occasions but our last pass, our final cross and us taking our chances just wasn’t there today.

7 minutes ago, Desp said:

Didn't he also say they should have won 3 or 4-0 today? 

He's a helmet. 

Didn't say that in the STV article where I saw the quote - but it wouldn't surprise me as OF managers have to come out with that sort of pish on a weekly basis. It wasn't even close to being a 3 or 4 goal game and he knows that fine well.

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

No he wasn't, it was a rid neck.

100%, He'll be on a ban before October's out at this rate.

Blatant ones like that are just fucking stupid. You need your game changers on the park, not sitting in the stand suspended for being a dick.

Love the guy, but he's got to cut that shite out before his reputation preceeds him and he ends up missing out on genuine claims too.

It'd require a lot of luck- and possibly a change in Grezza's ehhh..  attitude towards the League Cup- for this squad to match the achievements of the 2017/18 season, but I do think taking the basic principles of the Thunderdome and adapting it to accommodate a few genuine quality footballers- KVV, Watt and Slattery right now- could be a bit more conducive to a high league placing.

6 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

van Veen's shithousery is Machievialian. However, based on that dive, that part of his game was as amateur and effective as a Charlie Nicholas comeback.

Van Veen and Watt need to take lessons from Slattery on how to fall over and get a foul.

The guy is pure class at it also the way he breaks up the play and gets away with it …… think he’s only been booked once.

Pure dead brilliant !!!!!!

I'm still not delighted about our League Cup performance, but if we are talking about playing the long game, I would rather we waited to sign Slattery, Ojala and Johansen when we did, rather than panicking to sign L1/L2 jobbers on July 1st as it seems to be paying off in our performances so far. Even Woolery, who I have been critical of at times, arrived saying he was behind everyone else and in the past couple of weeks we can now him coming on to a game.

For next season, it's refreshing to know we will be going in to day one of pre-season (unless there are transfer bids) with Kelly, a back four of O'Donnell, Carroll, Johansen and Ojala, with Slattery sitting in front, all contracted. That's a good spine to begin with.

McGinley certainly showed himself as a capable replacement for Carroll and to be honest, there were one or two moments where he looked to me to use his recovery pace in a situation that's normally a rash challenge from Carroll. I guess you have to weigh that up with the fact that we did probably miss Carroll's deliveries as I really don't rate O'Hara at them and I'm almost of the old fashioned opinion that someone who is 6'2" and decent in the air should always be in the mixer.

Grimshaw isn't perfect in midfield and certainly has technical lapses, but his sheer attitude and willingness to put himself about keeps him in there for me just now. That certainly beats the games where you were forgetting some of our midfielders were actually on the park.

2 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I'm still not delighted about our League Cup performance, but if we are talking about playing the long game, I would rather we waited to sign Slattery, Ojala and Johansen when we did, rather than panicking to sign L1/L2 jobbers on July 1st as it seems to be paying off in our performances so far. Even Woolery, who I have been critical of at times, arrived saying he was behind everyone else and in the past couple of weeks we can now him coming on to a game.

For next season, it's refreshing to know we will be going in to day one of pre-season (unless there are transfer bids) with Kelly, a back four of O'Donnell, Carroll, Johansen and Ojala, with Slattery sitting in front, all contracted. That's a good spine to begin with.

Been thinking similar myself. If we have a longer term plan with important players tied up on longer deals then the very early part of the season was basically collateral damage while we got what we needed. It is still very early but the signs so far are that it was a price worth paying. Of the longer deals, only Shields hasn't contributed much so far but there is clearly time for him to adjust to our level and play a part.

1 hour ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Van Veen and Watt need to take lessons from Slattery on how to fall over and get a foul.

The guy is pure class at it also the way he breaks up the play and gets away with it …… think he’s only been booked once.

Pure dead brilliant !!!!!!

Yep, agreed. However, I don't think to say Slattery gets away with stuff is totally fair.  Aye, there's times where he gets his body between him and the ball and gets bundled over, but a lot of the fouls against him are because he's very quick to react. Over a few yards he's mentally and physically sharp so often gets to the ball first even when he's not the favourite. That usually leads to taking a boot from the opposition. There were a few examples late on yesterday where I was genuinely surprised he managed to get to the ball first. 

The body position stuff can be taught, but that sharpness... maybe not.

Been thinking similar myself. If we have a longer term plan with important players tied up on longer deals then the very early part of the season was basically collateral damage while we got what we needed. It is still very early but the signs so far are that it was a price worth paying. Of the longer deals, only Shields hasn't contributed much so far but there is clearly time for him to adjust to our level and play a part.
I'd forgotten about Shields. Has he recovered from his injury?

8 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
26 minutes ago, Swello said:

He has. He started against St. Johnstone and Dundee in the league cup and was about the bench a lot. I think he's been a victim of our good performances in that the subs we've used have been to protect leads rather than chase the game.

5 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
23 minutes ago, Swello said:

Surprised Shields has not really done anything with you yet.

He was outstanding for us last season power pace goals .

Is he out a bad injury .

Send him back to us we will give him game time when fit 

51 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Surprised Shields has not really done anything with you yet.

He was outstanding for us last season power pace goals .

Is he out a bad injury .

Send him back to us we will give him game time when fit 

When everyone is fit in our team, Watt and Van Veen will be stick on starters - so Shields is up against Woolery (who has been coming onto a game) and Amaluzor. There haven't been many minutes for sub forwards so far and he is probably a victim of that.