Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 hours ago, ZX1886 said:

Tbf, the Daily Record have decided to run with the story and make it look like Gallagher deleted his Twitter following post-match abuse.

The first I heard of his Twitter being deleted was on Friday, maybe he expected abuse on the day of the game and deleted his account to avoid it but the headline is misleading.

Aye, the article literally says "It's unclear if the account was deleted before or after the match." The sub definitely knows what they're doing with that headline.

The idea that "Declan Gallagher deletes Twitter" is news is funny in itself. Conflating it with the fact that his team has just been bodied by Motherwell is doubly so.

That's before you even get to the schadenfreude given the way he left the club...

giphy.gif 

Edited by capt_oats

It seems Robbie Crawford and Lawless will feature again, probably around mid October when 75% of the team will be serving points bans. Then December, mid Feb and April.

If I was a bookie, I'd be offering even money on Lawless and van Veen having the same amount of game time come May.

Those stats do nothing to quell OF bias shouts.

Edited by Kapowzer

I might be in the minority but I really don't have any issue with Gallagher. Came to us, had a cracking season, never really hit the heights in the second but still did a job, then moved on at the end of his contract.

Could be vocal at times on Twitter but I don't have any problem with players giving some back given the amount of abuse they take, especially online.

Guest superward

Have to say - l am very much enjoying the way we set up and play. It's maybe not everyone's cup of tea but it's essentially Robinson's Thunderdome v2, and it looks like it works. For all the 'strength' and 'effectiveness' we exhibit there are some lovely bits of football being played. Which it feels like are getting missed when we get lost in the hyperbole of it all. Which is a good laugh tbf.

Possession is something that's been brought up this season so thought I'd look at our start last year as from memory Robinson kept going on about how we had so much possession in games but weren't tight enough at the back or up front (much like the moans from Glass after the game)

After 5 league games in 20/21:

Average possession was 58.14% and we had 2 points. Ross County, Dundee U, Livingston, Hibs, Accies played.

After 5 league games in 21/22:

Average possession is  38.66 and we have 10 points. Hibs, St. Johnstone, Dundee, Livi and Aberdeen played.

I'd argue this season's start is the more difficult. Long live #grezzaball

Edited by superward

2 minutes ago, superward said:

Have to say - l am very much enjoying the way we set up and play. It's maybe not everyone's cup of tea but it's essentially Robinson's Thunderdome v2, and it looks like it works. For all the 'strength' and 'effectiveness' we exhibit there are some lovely bits of football being played. Which it feels like are getting missed when we get lost in the hyperbole of it all. Which is a good laugh tbf.

Possession is something that's been brought up this season so thought I'd look at our start last year as from memory Robinson kept going on about how we had so much possession in games but weren't tight enough at the back or up front (much like the moans from Glass after the game)

After 5 league games in 20/21:

Average possession was 58.14% and we had 2 points. Ross County, Dundee U, Livingston, Hibs, Accies played.

After 5 league games in 21/22:

Average possession is  38.66 and we have 10 points. Hibs, St. Johnstone, Dundee, Livi and Aberdeen played.

I'd argue this season's start is the more difficult. Long live #grezzaball

I really like the way we are trying to play - but similar to Robinson/Thunderdome, I think what we've seen so far is probably very well suited to playing away games and Aberdeen/Hibs/Hearts at Fir Park as we don't need to make all the running - but I'm very interested to see how we play against teams that will come to Fir Park and sit in themselves, which is where we struggled before. 

Maybe these are the games that you sacrifice a hard-working midfielder for someone more creative (ie - Goss) - but the Ross County game will be interesting.

9 minutes ago, fat_tony said:

I might be in the minority but I really don't have any issue with Gallagher. Came to us, had a cracking season, never really hit the heights in the second but still did a job, then moved on at the end of his contract.

Could be vocal at times on Twitter but I don't have any problem with players giving some back given the amount of abuse they take, especially online.

The only issue was the Daily Record article about armament placements.  Without this we would all love him.

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

The only issue was the Daily Record article about armament placements.  Without this we would all love him.

For me - the Record article only confirmed what we had all seen on the pitch - he was less than enamoured that he hadn't got his move on the back of a great season and his performance levels had dropped massively to the point where he was looking like he didn't give a f**k.

That said - he got a mild boo-ing on Saturday (some of it from Motherwell supporters :) ) and that's fine and should be the end of it.

Edited by Swello

44 minutes ago, Swello said:

I really like the way we are trying to play - but similar to Robinson/Thunderdome, I think what we've seen so far is probably very well suited to playing away games and Aberdeen/Hibs/Hearts at Fir Park as we don't need to make all the running - but I'm very interested to see how we play against teams that will come to Fir Park and sit in themselves, which is where we struggled before. 

Maybe these are the games that you sacrifice a hard-working midfielder for someone more creative (ie - Goss) - but the Ross County game will be interesting.

I think the difference between the Robinson/Thunderdome version and where we are now with #Grezzaball is that we seem to have more creative forwards rather than lumps to hit like Bowman, Main and Sammon. Van Veen presses and "puts himself about" but he's probably closer to a Moult-type.

It's something that I remarked on at the time but does Robinson sign a player like KVV?

Based on his signing record at Fir Park and subsequently at Morecambe (Obika) probably not? There's the other aspect that when you look at the difference Alexander made to Cole and what we've seen so far from Watt and KVV there's a solid enough argument that he gets more out his strikers in terms of goals than Robinson did.

It's still early days but we seem to be far more about getting high quality chances than Robinson's mantra of "get balls into the box".

Edited by capt_oats

When we play some of the teams that sit in there's the potential for the ref blowing his whistle and the ball just remaining on the centre spot while both teams remain in shape.

1 hour ago, fat_tony said:

Wasn't a fan of him signing. Wasn't a fan of him being here. Not a fan now he's gone.

Had a good first season, won't miss him.

12 minutes ago, RetroMan said:

Well fans, 

we have reproduced the classic 94/95 away shirt.

https://retroshirts.co/products/ols/products/motherwell-fc-199495-away-shirt

any questions you can message me.

Love it - still have the original though as it is a favourite of mine - one of our best ever.

29 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Wasn't a fan of him signing. Wasn't a fan of him being here. Not a fan now he's gone.

Had a good first season, won't miss him.

I struggle to remember a Motherwell captain I have been less enthusiastic about. He was great in that first season and atrocious in the second. 

See if he had played well, come to the end of a contract and got a decent contract in Aberdeen I think I'd be sound with it. But all the gun to his head/his contract end date mysteriously moving to after the Euros stuff has me delighted we're rid of him tbh. I mean ffs we were playing Lamie every week even when Gallagher was "fit".

That and he's been replaced with a pair of Scandinavian Gods.