Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Are we all ok Dossers?

As much as I like international fitba it's a bit shit when the Motherwell side of things is quiet.

I find international breaks a boring inconvenience and I was just getting into the season after being at a few games in a row - so next weekend can't come fast enough.

On the other hand, I went to a (reasonably) local game to me yesterday and saw Vale of Leithen pumped 8-0 by Gala Fairydean - and there was a gate in the wall of the ground that took you straight into the beer garden of a local pub - so that was quite fun.  

Quite enjoying the idea that we've paid €400k for big Sondre lads.

The suggestion in this article is that he's Mjøndalen's record sale.

I mean, we've clearly paid something going by the quotes attributed to their manager.

- When the bid was as high as it was, it was a good choice in the end. Especially when Sondre wanted so much too. We want to be a selling club. This is our biggest transition ever.

- We informed Motherwell that they were close to giving us a satisfactory price and there was an increased bid at the very end which we were happy with. It got pretty hectic at the end there with all the formalities.

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Patterson has pulled out of the Scotland squad for tomorrow night, along with Fraser and McLean, with Paul McGinn coming in.

O'Donnell almost certain to start now.

Always was a certain starter if fit.  

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Quite enjoying the idea that we've paid €400k for big Sondre lads.

The suggestion in this article is that he's Mjøndalen's record sale.

I mean, we've clearly paid something going by the quotes attributed to their manager.

We're massive now for real aren't we...

2 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

We're massive now for real aren't we...

I mean, I'm sceptical of the idea that we've paid €400k for him given he was heading out of contract at the end of their season and also...'really?!' but it's an interesting point in terms of the change in recruitment strategy and an apparent willingness to go 'above and beyond' for players who were on our shortlist.

I think @thisGRAEME mentioned the other day but now that the dust has settled it doesn't feel like we've missed (m)any of our priority targets. I mean, I'm sure we might have but Gotts is the only one who probably stands out in that respect.

Alexander was saying at the end of last season that he anticipated bringing in between 7-10 players (presumably pending on who if any re-signed).

As it is we've brought in 12 players (with 17 leaving in the summer). If you include Roberts 5 of them had contracts at other clubs (technically 6 I guess as Shields was a pre-contract so was at QoTS when we signed him).

Does that make them "better" players? Dunno.

Does it mean it was worth using the LC group and games in August as pre-season? Dunno.

Would Robinson/Foyle have made these signings? Probably unanswerable question but I'm guessing not?

Either way it feels like there have been two very different threads of recruitment...very obvious punts and players who have obviously been brought in for the first team:

6 months - Mich'el Parker
1 year - Justin Amaluzor, Darragh O'Connor
2 years - Kevin van Veen, Juhani Ojala, Sean Goss
3 years - Connor Shields, Kaiyne Woolery, Liam Kelly, Calum Slattery, Sondre Solholm Johansen

I'm sure we all know this, but there's fucking no chance we've spent £300k plus on a centre half from the Norwegian league.

I'm looking forward to seeing the big handsome b*****d on Saturday, right enough. 

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, I'm sceptical of the idea that we've paid €400k for him given he was heading out of contract at the end of their season and also...'really?!' but it's an interesting point in terms of the change in recruitment strategy and an apparent willingness to go 'above and beyond' for players who were on our shortlist.

I think @thisGRAEME mentioned the other day but now that the dust has settled it doesn't feel like we've missed (m)any of our priority targets. I mean, I'm sure we might have but Gotts is the only one who probably stands out in that respect.

Alexander was saying at the end of last season that he anticipated bringing in between 7-10 players (presumably pending on who if any re-signed).

As it is we've brought in 12 players (with 17 leaving in the summer). If you include Roberts 5 of them had contracts at other clubs (technically 6 I guess as Shields was a pre-contract so was at QoTS when we signed him).

Does that make them "better" players? Dunno.

Does it mean it was worth using the LC group and games in August as pre-season? Dunno.

Would Robinson/Foyle have made these signings? Probably unanswerable question but I'm guessing not?

Either way it feels like there have been two very different threads of recruitment...very obvious punts and players who have obviously been brought in for the first team:

6 months - Mich'el Parker
1 year - Justin Amaluzor, Darragh O'Connor
2 years - Kevin van Veen, Juhani Ojala, Sean Goss
3 years - Connor Shields, Kaiyne Woolery, Liam Kelly, Calum Slattery, Sondre Solholm Johansen

Not a chance, it’s a big change in the way we are doing things this season. In all honesty things did need to change, the policy of quantity over quality was bit by bit killing us

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

Not a chance, it’s a big change in the way we are doing things this season. In all honesty things did need to change, the policy of quantity over quality was bit by bit killing us

To that point.

Edited by capt_oats

Interesting to hear we have a more "relaxed" work permit situation than England. Especially given St Johnstone have been waiting for what seems like forever for their Finnish boy.

Also, the refit of the dressing room looks magic.

Edited by capt_oats

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Interesting to hear we have a more "relaxed" work permit situation than England. Especially given St Johnstone have been waiting for what seems like forever for their Finnish boy.

Our manager talked about everyone at the club "learning" from the Vertainen saga, so there's perhaps a hint it was an issue with the club more than anything, but I doubt we'll ever know.