Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm working on a banner for the Dundee game, rough draft so far is "Our wee club, punching above our weight every year, riding the rollercoaster and improving people's lives relentlessly."

I believe in the rollercoaster 

45 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm working on a banner for the Dundee game, rough draft so far is "Our wee club, punching above our weight every year, riding the rollercoaster and improving people's lives relentlessly."

Catchy...or...Owcpaoweyrtraiplr...for short.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

That's a verbatim reply to a club tweet announcing new roller shutters for the pie stands in the Cooper.

Edited by Swello

Guest superward
12 hours ago, ropy said:

For each new season I look out for our first goal, then our first point, then our first win, these have all happened in that order, I can only imagine a KVV hat trick is due next week.

I already miss the big guy. Just want him back playing. Hopefully Saturday 

I see we've binned the injury bit on the website. Which is completely fine with me and I get it. As much as I like the info it's clear GA keeps things a bit closer to his chest on that respect. 

Anyone know what's up with SOD? Injured or just actively rested?

Edited by superward

1 hour ago, superward said:

Anyone know what's up with SOD? Injured or just actively rested?

My 'mate' who's dodgy stream meant he could only get the Livi TV commentary on Saturday reliable informs me that Marvin Bartley, who was doing the co-comms, mentioned that SODS unfortunately has tested positive for Covid.

I also noticed that Donnelly and Maguire were missing from the squad on Saturday. Hopefully that was just injury precaution and they don't have it as well. 

Wishing a speedy recovery for SODS.  

26 minutes ago, dezz said:

My 'mate' who's dodgy stream meant he could only get the Livi TV commentary on Saturday reliable informs me that Marvin Bartley, who was doing the co-comms, mentioned that SODS unfortunately has tested positive for Covid.

I also noticed that Donnelly and Maguire were missing from the squad on Saturday. Hopefully that was just injury precaution and they don't have it as well. 

Wishing a speedy recovery for SODS.  

The SSN ticker had SOD as a "doubt" due to "illness" prior to the game.

On Donnelly my initial thought was that we were just resting him given the way Alexander had been talking about his injury, the whole "fragmented" pre-season and injury management pre-game:

“But without a shadow of a doubt we’ve had a fragmented pre-season period together. Quite a few lads are coming back to playing from a long time out or not playing for their previous club.

“That takes time to get them up to speed. Ideally, in a beautiful world we’d have six to ten friendlies to get them up to speed before competitive action but that’s not the scenario.

“We’ve had to throw them in straight away because we know that they’re good players.

"We know the performances will improve but I still feel that the performances in the last three games have been close to winning games.

“I don’t understand the process of coming back after a year injury because it didn’t happen to me as a player.

“I don’t understand how you get back to full fitness after Covid because I’ve never had that."

Link

Given Livi's pitch it would have seemed smart not to risk Donnelly because...'knee' anyway. Who knows though, maybe he's got the 'rona as well.

The wild thing about SOD having the lurgy is that if he also missed the Dundee game because of it Alexander would have probably avoided a fair bit of grief for fucking about and being perceived to have been resting players if the club had announced that was why he wasn't playing.

Fucking weirdos.

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Given Livi's pitch it would have seemed smart not to risk Donnelly because...'knee' anyway. Who knows though, maybe he's got the 'rona as well.

I reckon you're probably right on Donnelly re the pitch. If I remember correctly, he didn't play on the plastic against Airdrie either but has appeared in every other League and League Cup game that's been on grass. 

2 hours ago, dezz said:

I reckon you're probably right on Donnelly re the pitch. If I remember correctly, he didn't play on the plastic against Airdrie either but has appeared in every other League and League Cup game that's been on grass. 

Aye, he was on the bench but was unused. We didn't have either of O'Hara or Grimshaw available as midfield options at that point though and Slattery hadn't signed.

Alexander seems to have been making an argument for using 'the squad' rather than having a set XI week in, week out. With that in mind it wouldn't be shock if we've 'rested' Donnelly. Equally, given the amount of 'knee' we had last season it wouldn't be a surprise if we were conscious of the load put on players coming back from injury or just in general tbh.

Then again, if we're keeping +ve cases of the 'rona on the QT to avoid giving a heads up that a player is unavailable for 10 days or whatever then that wouldn't be a surprise either.

I notice the 'Team News' tab has been removed from the Squad page on the official as well.

Edited by capt_oats

Guest superward

Aye, it's a balance between fans knowing what is going on and not actively putting all the info out there about injuries. Granted players talk and all that but why offer up the info publicly when you don't have to...I'm fine with the latter.

Guest superward
11 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I can't believe it's gone, it was always so informative, precise and kept up to date.

We couldn't afford to employ a full new body last year to keep it up to date. 

Wild that we're being used for clicks by the local press in Leeds.

Gotts is turning into a saga. I hope he’s worth it if he does end up signing.

I’m already doubting if Mich’el will ever play for us. To be nowhere near the team with the state the midfield has been doesn’t say much for him.