Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Asking for a friend...  did anyone watching the International subscription MFC TV have a real problem with the streaming?  I.... errrrr ... hear the first two video players weren't working at all and the third was unwatchably choppy.  It could have been Opera browser's built-in VPN connection causing an issue, as it's worked ok until yesterday.   

Ended up listening to the UK commentary instead, and missed the equaliser

Sad The Lord Of The Rings GIF

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

6 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Asking for a friend...  did anyone watching the International subscription MFC TV have a real problem with the streaming?  I.... errrrr ... hear the first two video players weren't working at all and the third was unwatchably choppy.  It could have been Opera browser's built-in VPN connection causing an issue, as it's worked ok until yesterday.   

Ended up listening to the UK commentary instead, and missed the equaliser

Sad The Lord Of The Rings GIF

In response to your friend , my, ehm, acquaintance tells me he watched a stream of the MFC TV coverage via some IPTV service or other on a firestick and the quality was impeccable, so may well have been a VPN issue for your guy.

20 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Asking for a friend...  did anyone watching the International subscription MFC TV have a real problem with the streaming?  I.... errrrr ... hear the first two video players weren't working at all and the third was unwatchably choppy. 

All three players worked fine here, I was switching between them at different times depending on whether I was wanting picture-in-picture or casting to my telly.

TW's volley was very smartly taken, I would have been really quite excited if I'd seen that live.

No wonder Zander Clark was upset with his defence, Tony ended his run bang-smack in the middle of the goal with not a man within 5 yards of him.  We would rip Bevis or Ricki to shreds if they'd been similarly lax.

Thanks Gallus, Well Del,  I'll have to tell my friend to investigate some 'other technologies' ;)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

25 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

TW's volley was very smartly taken, I would have been really quite excited if I'd seen that live.

No wonder Zander Clark was upset with his defence, Tony ended his run bang-smack in the middle of the goal with not a man within 5 yards of him.  We would rip Bevis or Ricki to shreds if they'd been similarly lax.

It really was a smashing goal, build up and everything especially when you realise that Watt originally picked up the ball in his own half and it's worked up the park. As @Casagolda says earlier in the thread, it's a good progressive ball from Slattery and tbh, it's just an all round nice goal.

Watt's finish has a very pure training ground energy to it.

To the points about Van Veen having been low key compared to last week (he clearly was) this St Johnstone analysis Twitter account highlights that it's KVV's run that drags the defender with him and creates the space for Watt (although watching it back their big #6 just leaves Watt completely).

Also mildly interesting that our Plan B at the moment seems to be a switch to a 4231...that's new.

Edited by capt_oats

32 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Also mildly interesting that our Plan B at the moment seems to be a switch to a 4231...that's new.

Twigged this as well which feels like a much better fit in a lot of ways, nah? Slattery and Donnelly holding, Watt/Lawless/Woolery in behind Van Veen?

Watt's finish was very satisfying.

Just now, thisGRAEME said:

The thump as he hits it on the club video on twitter certainly is - his "woo-hoo" afterwards a bit less so :)

TBH - given the two opening league games had the potential to be regulation defeats against two good and  (just as importantly at this stage) settled sides, I'm quite heartened. We've "got away with" playing Donnelly for 180 much needed minutes, we managed to drop Shields in yesterday for his debut and Slattery has now got a decent bit of game time too - all without sacrificing too much in terms of results (and Slattery has made a decent contribution already). 

26 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Twigged this as well which feels like a much better fit in a lot of ways, nah? Slattery and Donnelly holding, Watt/Lawless/Woolery in behind Van Veen?

I would say so. 

I know there were reasons that both Donnelly and Maguire were off it yesterday, but you could definitely have fitted their impact into one player to have another attacking option.

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I mean, it's a nice change to chucking Jordan White on and seeing what happens.

It's been a long time since it's been a shape we've gone to and probably even longer since we've used a 4231 effectively but aye, it seems to answer a few questions in so much as it gets Watt central (which we all know is his preference rather than nominally being stuck wide) if he's playing as a #10 or off Van Veen.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

The thump as he hits it on the club video on twitter certainly is - his "woo-hoo" afterwards a bit less so :)

TBH - given the two opening league games had the potential to be regulation defeats against two good and  (just as importantly at this stage) settled sides, I'm quite heartened. We've "got away with" playing Donnelly for 180 much needed minutes, we managed to drop Shields in yesterday for his debut and Slattery has now got a decent bit of game time too - all without sacrificing too much in terms of results (and Slattery has made a decent contribution already). 

The opening couple of games feel like they've at least shown what #Grezzaball might look like, which is something. Strong work-in-progress vibes but If nothing else you can take plenty positives from the approach and general performance in the Hibs game and while we may not have been particularly good yesterday we still created more than enough chances and it was a really well worked goal (as was the opener against Hibs).

It was interesting that Alexander referenced the bounce game with QoTSA last week and implied that we'd need more of those because (I'm paraphrasing) of the different stages of fitness players are at and there seems to be a general sense that we've not been able to work on things during pre-season on account of the time it's taken to get players in and also the LC group meaning the competitive games limited how much we could reasonably experiment - trying out a 343 against Annan springs to mind.

Edited by capt_oats

21 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Having just listened to the Terrace Patreon with Thom and Duncan having a laugh at folk getting bent out of shape over 'Team of The Week' lists I'll not lie, this tickled me. :lol:

550754212_ScreenShot2021-08-09at15_58_38.thumb.png.1842e7e25b9c2dde239c7fafd8af44df.png

Presumably if Steve Clarke had chosen it, SOD would have been in too

50 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Having just listened to the Terrace Patreon with Thom and Duncan having a laugh at folk getting bent out of shape over 'Team of The Week' lists I'll not lie, this tickled me. :lol:

550754212_ScreenShot2021-08-09at15_58_38.thumb.png.1842e7e25b9c2dde239c7fafd8af44df.png

WhoScored is a wild ride like, they had Shane Duffy in a bunch of times last season as well. I sense their algorithm needs some work.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I’m just recalling all of those call ups and caps that Steve Clarke has given Liam Kelly 😂