Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Apart from centreback I think our biggest issue is still linking midfield and attack. Whether this is solved by Slattery settling in more, Watt dropping deeper or a new signing I'm not sure.

I think it will be solved by not carry two passengers in midfield.

Maguire was anonymous for most of the game and Donnelly was doing more harm than good.

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Maguire was anonymous for most of the game and Donnelly was doing more harm than good.

That was exactly my assessment of the midfield today. I forgot Maguire was playing at times and as you say, Donnelly was making plenty of mistakes. I also think he appears to have come back lighter and is getting knocked off the ball a bit easier than he used to.

Tbf to Donnelly he's kind of being thrown in at the deep end after a long lay off due to a lack of midfield options. Maguire on the other hand hasn't ever really shown anything other than being a reasonable squad player. O'Hara will be an improvement on Maguire when he's back and hopefully we will bring in at least one more quality addition in that area. 

Edited by Londonwell

24 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Apart from centreback I think our biggest issue is still linking midfield and attack. Whether this is solved by Slattery settling in more, Watt dropping deeper or a new signing I'm not sure.

A new signing for me please.

16 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I was shocked at Donnelly’s performance and, I love a left back but, Carroll was poor today, he plays so much more narrower than SOD.  Is that the plan?

6 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Tbf to Donnelly he's kind of being thrown in at the deep end after a long lay off due to a lack of midfield options. Maguire on the other hand hasn't ever really shown anything other than being a reasonable squad player. O'Hara will be an improvement on Maguire when he's back and hopefully we will bring in at least one more quality addition in that area. 

I still have faith in Maguire but not necessarily as a starter week in week out.  Get him lots of game time this season and see if he kicks on next year.

17 minutes ago, ropy said:

I was shocked at Donnelly’s performance and, I love a left back but, Carroll was poor today, he plays so much more narrower than SOD.  Is that the plan?

It seems to be a bit of a theme from last season that our full backs don't shut the cross down and we almost hope to defend it? Seems mental to me but I'm just a c**t on his laptop venting at an Internet forum.

5 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

It seems to be a bit of a theme from last season that our full backs don't shut the cross down and we almost hope to defend it? Seems mental to me but I'm just a c**t on his laptop venting at an Internet forum.

Impeccable qualifications 

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

It’s been like that ever since I’ve been going to Fir Park, Stevie Hammell infuriated me with it. Think it’s just a lot more visible now as folk have been watching on screens the last year or so.

Edited by supermarv

It seemed like a more definite tactic under Alexander last season than it did under Robinson. I guess you place a gamble on the crosses not being of great quality, or being easier to cut out at the corner of the box rather than the touchline. There’s also more numbers in the box for any second ball.

Today, I struggle to find many players who had pass marks. The front three were anonymous and when Woolery did have that one break his decision making was awful. Bevis and Lamie were decent defensively but their distribution didn’t help us at all. Slattery was quite bright, other than that I’m thinking only Kelly really.

I don't think I've witnessed one performance from O'Donnell in C&A that made me think he should get a call up let alone a start. It's legacy of his time at Killie and his then manager. That and that particular position having the same quality available as the left side. I'd have been surprised if McTominay wasn't pulled to the side for a private chat with Clarke where he was asked to give a bit of extra protection. Captaincy at our club is a poison chalice.

Bevis when he comes forward with the ball seems jittery and no composure unlike Aldred or Kipre. Lamie is constantly a source of frustration and questionable decision making. Today again, skinned 6 yards out and spralled on the floor only to be given a get out of jail card by Kelly. Carroll blows hot and cold, I'd have him for his deliveries but not his temperament or ability to defend.

Midfield has been given instructions (according to a few in the know on here) that if true are going to get the fans frustrated at the monkey rather than the organ grinder. It's been a while now since we've had a functioning midfield that went toe to toe with our opposition and came out on top. Slattery is a welcome addition and shows his pedigree in parts. Donnelly has demonstrated what he has but many a long lay off has killed a career and McGuire at times seems like Houdini. A loan at a championship club would be my preference (but it means a 2 year commitment if it pays off). O'Hara would be a welcome addition to the squad but still feel a quality player from a decent level academy like Baningime at Hearts is out there, wanting game time and available.

VanVeen was quiet compared to last week. Surprised Tony was demoted to the bench but not overly critical based on the past month. I think GA is still tinkering with what he feels is his best option here. A target man and two wingers, strike duo, sole striker and trequartista. You're looking for a click and players to compliment each other.

As most of the big money has been spent this summer I guess its loans or under the radar business left. I'd say midfield is a necessity, I'd be happy with another centre half, I think no money will be spent on left or right backs. Up front is maybe considered a luxury now too.

It gets on my tits too but it must be a tactic. There was a moment in the first half today where O’Donnell actively ran away from the winger he was chasing rather than staying tight to him, and only turned back to face him up when he reached the right hand line of our box.

1 hour ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

I wonder how much of that was down to last week having a decent crowd, a bit of atmosphere, and a live TV audience; while this week was, er, St Johnstone away. 

To that point when was the last time we actually played well in Perth.

Like, not we won the battle, did enough to win and pick up a good result but rather we were actually good?

I'm guessing you probably have to go back to the early 10s McCall era for a performance that wasn't attritional.

Edited by capt_oats

I wonder how much of that was down to last week having a decent crowd, a bit of atmosphere, and a live TV audience; while this week was, er, St Johnstone away. 

The new Ged Brannan then...

If he keeps his performances for Fir Park then that is a sort of consistency

Van Veen was never gonna live up to the hype of last week. 

If he was hitting those levels every week, he’d be nowhere near Fir Park. In his defence, his work rate or attitude both looked spot on and that’s all you can really ask from him. 

Good to Slattery last the full 90, him wrapping a pass into Watt through the lines for the goal is exactly the kind of thing we’ve been missing. Still think we’re a body short in there, judging by the Gotts news it sounds like Alexander agrees. 

I thought Lamie had a very good game, especially 2nd half and will be interesting to see who out of him or Mugabi makes way for Ojala. Also fair play to the much maligned Lawless as well, showed that while he might not be a regular starter he could still have a role to play this season.  

Edited by Casagolda