Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

I am unsure what our back two will be when Ojala comes in.  It is still heart in mouth time when Bevis has the ball at his feet.

All the new boys are showing something, Amaluzor has got the furthest to go I think.

Woolery twisted his body to get the ball on his right, lash it with the left or drag it round the keeper and it’s a tap in.

Maguire played well.  Great save from Kelly.

The penalty - I am happy for that to be a penalty but will be keen to see consistency through the season, which is unlikely.

Of all the signings I think Justin's the biggest punt we've taken so I can forgive him being a mixed bag. If he can give us a couple of decent games that's probably a success. 

Slattery looks snide as all f**k and I'm completely on board with it. Looks very, very composed on the ball as well as being happy to put it about. If Donnelly stays fit and Maguire can at least keep playing at a decent level this midfield is levels above last season. 

30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Stating the obvious, but off the back of Van Veen and Slattery's showing yesterday along with the arrival of Ojala I'm interested to see who we've got earmarked still to come in now.

Some chat at the game yesterday one of the players we were/are sniffing about was Robbie Gotts of Leeds.

No idea if true but he fits a similar profile to Slattery so would at least make sense in that regard, plus it would be strange name to randomly pluck from nowhere.   

7 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Some chat at the game yesterday one of the players we were/are sniffing about was Robbie Gotts of Leeds.

No idea if true but he fits a similar profile to Slattery so would at least make sense in that regard, plus it would be strange name to randomly pluck from nowhere.   

If Bielsa likes him then I like him. Sign him up.

The situation is similar for Gotts, a midfielder who can play at right-back. He spent the vast majority of last season out on loan with both Lincoln City and Salford City, racking up 22 appearances in League Two and seven in League One. In all competitions, including the FA Cup, EFL Cup, EFL Trophy and Premier League 2, he played 39 times and scored four goals for the three clubs.

Bielsa has long been fond of the 21-year-old and has in the past lamented not being able to give him more opportunities with the senior side, for whom he has featured once in league action, but like Davis he will not be short of offers this summer if another season-long loan is an option.

Link

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

+1 on the Slattery / Nicky Law comparison. He gave us an element of composure and control in the midfield that we've not had for a while and we kind of dropped out the game in that area of the park when he went off.

The fact that he was happy enough to cut about the park putting Hibs players on their arses was a welcome sight as one of my concerns was him coming from predominantly u23s level at Southampton and adjusting to the physical side of the game up here. In that respect he looked fine.

I said it in the match thread but overall it's a sair yin given we were up twice but given the circumstances (half a new team, players still out, a pile of players still to bring in and the ropy LC performances) the game as whole was a pleasant surprise.

If that was a reflection what an Alexander side looks like and what we're going to be this season (physical, direct and fun) then I'm absolutely fine with it.

Stating the obvious, but off the back of Van Veen and Slattery's showing yesterday along with the arrival of Ojala I'm interested to see who we've got earmarked still to come in now.

I said the exact regarding Slattery/ Law comparison. I don’t remember us having a player on the ball as good as that in a long while, possibly with the exception of Alex Gorrin but he was only here for a few months. Slattery his weight of pass is second to none, actually beats a man just with his touch it’s excellent to watch.

Also with the link to Robbie Gotts I’d definitely take that as a signing on loan or permanent. Decent pedigree and was on the cusp of making it at Leeds but I’m sure he had something with gambling and he was out the game for a few months. Seems to be able to play in a variety of positions mainly midfield and on the right hand side so brings in plenty of cover in case of injuries to SoD etc. 

Edited by supermarv

Here's what big Marcelo was saying about Gotts:

Marcelo Bielsa has commented on Gotts’ qualities as a first-team prospect, in which he said told the Yorkshire Evening Post: “He’s a number eight, a midfielder, he is not offensive and not defensive, he’s a number eight.

“I have never seen a player play with such a dynamic. He’s a player with skills. In his position I have played [Adam] Forshaw, [Mateusz] Klich, [Jamie] Shackleton and [Stuart] Dallas.

“There is tough competition in this position, but everybody in the team respects him, especially his team-mates, as we do.

“Also, it’s true he didn’t have games yet. He showed he deserved to play in the first team.

“I wish he would play with the first team soon, but he competes with players with a high level.”

Link

That was 2019. Apparently he's been told he's free to find a new club according to Football Insider.

He looks like he's a midget, then again so does Billy Gilmour.

Since the Ojala signing started as rumours amongst the crowd at the airdrie game, I think we're 100% safe to assume we've signed tbis guy and we can go ahead and send him welcome tweets.

Ordinarily this kind of signing would be wishful thinking, but considering the signings we've made so far I wouldn't be surprised if this happened. 

#gottstogetuptogetdown

Edited by rowsdower
Added bad name pun

When we were sitting in a bleak full lockdown with no crowds listening to Jock Brown, the atmosphere yesterday was exactly what i dreamt of. For me yesterday encapsulated everything I had been missing about the proper fitbaw. I'd usually be pretty pissed off at losing that but the game was honestly some buzz. So good to be properly back.

My expectations of the team were pretty low going into the game and I was really pleasantly surprised by the performance

Hightlights

• KVV was unreal, puts himself about and tekkers is outstanding. Maybe needs to calm his jets a wee bit at times right enough but part of the package
  • Maguire really played well. I had voiced my reservations about him being first team quality but if he plays like that he has a good chance
  • Slattery was really impressive. I think he could be a sound addition

To be honest I think we ran out of steam in the 2nd half after putting so much into the game, I think the fitness/lack of games for some began to show. If we strengthen in the areas we are all taking about I think we will be absolutely fine.

I think Maguire has all the tools to be a good player for us. It's just a case of him finding his niche.

He's clearly not a Turnbull or a Campbell (who is?) but I'd say he's above a Leitch or Carswell.

He's two footed and athletic. His involvement in the goal against Queens Park was a glimpse of what he could be good at in breaking the lines etc but at the same time it's difficult to imagine him controlling or dominating a midfield just now. He's absolutely a fine option to have around the squad IMO.

Edited by capt_oats

17 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd be up for booing Tait. Not because I have anything massively against him but I get the feeling it would really annoy him.

Incidentally, saw Tait at the game yesterday and he stopped to talk to a few fans on his way in too, so the relationship between him and ourselves can't be that sour. 

Like a few others have said, I did clap Murphy coming off, purely because others booed which I thought was pretty lousy. Had no-one booed, I wouldn't have bothered. 

Having been based in the north east for the past 7 years, my attendance at games at Fir Park in recent years has been limited even before considering the obvious in 2020/2021. Being back nearer home and back to being a season ticket holder, that experience yesterday was absolutely brilliant. Sun shining, Fir Park looking magnificent, a good atmosphere and a cracking football match made for the best afternoon I've had for some time. Must have been the way the fans were spaced out too, but to me the stadium looked a lot fuller than the five-and-a-bit thousand announced and probably helped contribute to the atmosphere with supporters in every corner of the ground. 

As others have pointed out, a pleasantly surprising performance from us given how the LC games panned out and Hibs being a tough opening fixture. The goals we conceded were poor, particularly the second. Maguire was in a poor position when Nisbet got the ball and my immediate thought was that Lamie was sleeping to let Doidge get the rebound. Other than that, I thought Maguire had one of his best games I've seen for us. Combative and decent on the ball. I would like if we could make Ojala + Mugabi work as well, didn't Mugabi play LCB with Gallagher?

Slattery and KVV are the obvious upgrades based on that performance. I don't want to go mental on KVV after just one game but some of his touches were sublime, took his goal well and rounded it off with an absolutely ludicrous challenge just in front of the dugouts. Worth the price of admission alone which is a totally different feeling from when we saw our previous no. 9/99 on the teamsheet who I think most 'Well fans got pretty fed up with last season. 

Edited by Mr Hahn

I think it's good that there is a wee bit of positivity coming out of yesterday's game as it was a cracking experience overall. It does make the game against St Johnstone a bit important though because you can carry the pre-season optimism through 1 loss, a 2nd loss in a row would start to put a bit of pressure back on, so taking something on Sunday could be a big deal.

Are away supporters allowed?

Guest superward

On the ex employees chat - Maurice Ross at the game yesterday too. He was also at Airdrie. Maybe just keeping his nose in and no more but interesting (maybe) none the less.