Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

22 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Happy with that. Would assume the Sunderland thing can now be chalked down to an agent flying a kite?

Sitting behind Liam Kelly's goal is class btw. "LAMIE! LAMIE! LAMIE! FUCKING STAY LAMIE! LAMIE FUCKING STAY!"

It's not unnoticed that his form improved dramatically when Kelly came into the team.

Still not enough to elevate him from whipping boy status right enough.

8 minutes ago, santheman said:

It's not unnoticed that his form improved dramatically when Kelly came into the team.

Still not enough to elevate him from whipping boy status right enough.

I too would struggle with a keeper shorn of hands playing behind me, at any level.

50 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Lawleff looks like he'd rip the utter pish out of anyone in a game of fives but he runs like his shoelaces are tied together. If someone fancied taking him off our hands so we could bring back Roberts I'd be on board with it. 

Maybe limping through the group stages and being a total calamity at the back in every game will show Alexander that several of these folk are absolutely nowhere near good enough.

Reveal hidden contents

Bobs Burgers Straws GIF

It's absolutely wild that Lawless was playing left wing back in that mental Livi team just over a year ago. He looks like he spent his whole time in Burton in a brewery.

Guest superward
2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

At a guess the view was that he'd offer a certain amount of cover. Also, bearing in mind how many players left and more to the point the time it's taken to recruit I'd say he'd be viewed as someone who, if nothing else, would have enough to get us through the LC groups and early stages of the season.

I don't think the plan would ever have been to have Robbie Crawford as a first pick option. He was simply someone who'd make the transition a bit more manageable.

Spot on. I discussed the same with my dad recently as well. The fact the contract is 1 year seems like it's fairly clear he's being seen as a cover and transition player. 

I’d rather have saved the wage as I don’t think he offers much more than what we’ve produced ourselves and that is undoubtedly cheaper. I say that as someone who has been protective of him when others put the boot in. I felt he gave 100% in parts of last season when many more tapped out.

This is completely new information to me but it turns out Slattery was in the same Southampton youth side as Big Bevis.

Who knew?

Spoiler

He's on the bench here with Bev starting at RB.

Edited by capt_oats

10 hours ago, Carlyle said:

FFS!!! Jack Grealish £100m
that's £100,000,000 for a guy who SOD played keepy up with for fun. emoji1787.pngemoji1787.png hope his agent has it on his best of video.

To be fair, "couldn't get near him so he kicked him" does reflect rather better on the kickee than the kicker...

Guest superward
16 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

I’d rather have saved the wage as I don’t think he offers much more than what we’ve produced ourselves and that is undoubtedly cheaper. I say that as someone who has been protective of him when others put the boot in. I felt he gave 100% in parts of last season when many more tapped out.

Yeah, I get that view 💯. But to play devil's advocate, if Crawford wasn't there we'd be going into the first league game with no cover for central midfield given injuries and players coming back from injury. So signing him up for another year on what must be a small(ish) wage is already looking a decent idea. 

I was surprised when he got the year renewal tbh buy it seems broadly sensible. 

I'm pretty sure we will see him through the season but he's not going to be a key player. Thankfully.

Edited by superward

10 minutes ago, superward said:

Yeah, I get that view 💯. But to play devil's advocate, if Crawford wasn't there we'd be going into the first league game with no cover for central midfield given injuries and players coming back from injury. So signing him up for another year on what must be a small(ish) wage is already looking a decent idea. 

I was surprised when he got the year renewal tbh buy it seems broadly sensible. 

I'm pretty sure we will see him through the season but he's not going to be a key player. Thankfully.

Definitely. That's pretty much how I see it.

I totally get how it'd be difficult for someone to get their head round deliberately signing up a player for cover but there's an argument that it's going to be more time consuming and a relative pain in the arse to try and convince a Crawford alternative to sign up on a 1 year deal on a similar renumeration or a sales pitch of "well we'd like you to sign for cover and you'll be parked on the bench".

He may not be all that great at the fitba' at Premiership level but Crawford's just shy of 300 first team games (281).

It's a step into hypotheticals but assuming the "strategy" this summer has been to focus on longer term deals with a bit better quality and fewer punts then it makes far more sense to extend Crawford (and Mugabi)'s deal for cover than go out and bring in a couple of players who are essentially punts as that would be the market you'd be in for that type of player.

Similarly, not to be cold about it but you'd think that once we've got our bodies in we'd be in a position to look at loaning Crawford or players in a similar position vs a player we've literally just brought into the club a month and a half ago or whatever.

I've pretty much convinced myself that signing Parker on a short term deal was us scrambling to make another body available on the bench for the group games. I think he's largely been fine but O'Connor signing on a 1 year deal the day before the Betfred games started had a similar energy considering Mugabi was still rehabbing and Lamie was pretty much our only available centre back.

22 minutes ago, ropy said:

Are we out of speculation, it seems that all summer we have had a signing in our sights and now those deals are done, who is next?

Gwen?

#announceStefani

Who knows though? 

This whole shift towards seemingly opening up our options to players who are still at a club with a year or so to go on their deal (Kelly, Slattery, Ojala etc) rather than free agents means there's a far greater range of possibility in terms of who we might be looking at.

After 2 or 3 seasons it was far easier to get an idea of what a Robinson signing would look like than an Alexander one at the moment. I mean, srsly...in terms of profile Ojala and Slattery aren't what I was expecting when we went into this window.

On top of that you've got Alexander telling the press that he thinks we're still "light" in certain areas and we've got a couple we're trying to get "over the line" and we're open to seeing who's maybe considered surplus to requirement at their clubs. Trying to square that chat with a current squad of 26 bodies is tough. Even allowing for him saying we're going to run with one or two more bodies than originally planned because of the 'rona.