Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

You can just use your phone. No need to print anything.

What are the chances of dropping or losing your phone between leaving the house and reaching the turnstyle?

I'd be quite happy if the Season ticket card became virtual and you could always use your phone

Based on that, this is where the squad seems to be bearing in mind Alexander was last quoted as saying:

"The Motherwell manager said: “We are hopeful of at least one. There is something bubbling away so fingers crossed that happens this week. We have two or three other options but they are a bit further away.

“I would be cautious about being able to get them in this week and whether they would be ready for Sunday anyway. There is still work to do to get the squad where we want it.”

Link

Assuming Big Juhani was the one "bubbling away" there's potentially another two or three options. I'm going to be optimistic and say three.

Also, I suppose there's always the possibility we could see a couple move out on loan or whatever.

I'm saying Lawleff has been more effective playing as an attacking mid than off the wing as well.

1134047213_ScreenShot2021-07-29at18_10_11.thumb.png.7b094711d46f85902a870a12e5886d2e.png

As it stands, my starters and understudies indented:

Kelly

Fox

O’Donnell

Johnstone

Grimmy

Ojala

O’Connor

Lamie

Bevis (because he’s yet to feature)

Carroll

McGinley

Slattery

Donnelly

O’Hara

McGuire

Cornelius

Crawford

Parker

Van Veen

Watt

Shields

Amaluzor

Woolery

Lawless

Big Juhani coming in plugs a huge gap in that back line, and the chat about him being a leader and captaining his country sounds exactly like what we need.
I’ve been pleasantly surprised with O’Connor so far but it’s a big ask for a guy who’s played hee-haw ‘real’ football in his career to come in and play a full season but with Big Bev looking like he’ll be back soon, i could live with it if we don’t sign another CB.
Midfield is still the area I’m most concerned concerned about, we crying out for some creativity so I’d like an attacking midfielder and winger please.

Guest superward

Can't see us signing another centre back surely. We'd then be carrying 6 (not inc. the likes of McGinley, O'Hara who have slotted in). I'll be surprised if it's not Big Fin + 1 other from the remaining 5.

Agree on midfield. Even if Slattery is our attacking type player feels like we need another too. But we've got a load of defensive centre mids kicking about I have to say...feels over subscribed there already. 

Edited by superward

30 minutes ago, superward said:

Can't see us signing another centre back surely. We'd then be carrying 6 (not inc. the likes of McGinley, O'Hara who have slotted in). I'll be surprised if it's not Big Fin + 1 other from the remaining 5.

Agree on midfield. Even if Slattery is our attacking type player feels like we need another too. But we've got a load of defensive centre mids kicking about I have to say...feels over subscribed there already. 

On the CB point would anyone be surprised to see Devine loaned out.

4 of our current 5 CBs are right footed (Ojala, Mugabi, O'Connor and Devine) I'm probably in the minority but another left sided CB feels like it'd be a good option considering the bold Ricki is currently our only left footer in there (given McGinley seems to be viewed as a full back option).

I'd also make a case that O'Connor hasn't been brought in with a view to him starting.

Agree that we seem oversubscribed in a certain type of midfielder but again I suppose there's the chance a Championship team or whatever might look at a Crawford as a potential loan. Ironically the report suggesting we were taking a look at Odoffin would indicate that we're not actually that happy with our options in the "defensive mid" area and tbh, I'm not going to argue with that as Crawford and O'Hara definitely aren't it for that role.

Edited by capt_oats

The Gillingham forum seemed to suggest Slattery was a ball winner who puts it about and not a stranger to a ‘Hail Mary’ pass. Definitely an Allan Campbell mould which leaves Donnelly (what was it? 11 goals by October in 2019 as the defensive cover and for me O’Hara as the creator. I think we’d be maybe look upon Bevis and O’Hara more favourably if they’d had any game time so far.

Glad to see we punted a former internationalist and replaced him with another 😏 ...... without the rap sheet

1 hour ago, dezz said:

Big Juhani coming in plugs a huge gap in that back line, and the chat about him being a leader and captaining his country sounds exactly like what we need.
I’ve been pleasantly surprised with O’Connor so far but it’s a big ask for a guy who’s played hee-haw ‘real’ football in his career to come in and play a full season but with Big Bev looking like he’ll be back soon, i could live with it if we don’t sign another CB.
Midfield is still the area I’m most concerned concerned about, we crying out for some creativity so I’d like an attacking midfielder and winger please.

Tbf to o'connor, he played 20 games for wexford before moving to Leicester so he has some first team experiende behund him.

56 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Ojala and O'Connor will be our first choice CB pairing I'd imagine.

O'Connor seems like a good young prospect who I'd like to see given the chance to stake his claim for a regular berth.

If Ojala can come in as the experienced head and guide him through games in the same way that Hartley and Aldred did with big Cedric a few years ago, I'd be fucking delighted.

I'd much rather that scenario, where the odd mistake could be forgiven, than have Lamie in there where a couple of monumental f**k ups per game would almost be expected.

On the face of it , Ojala seems like a very decent addition.

I'm going to be controversial and say that based on what I've seen of Lamie towards the end of last season when he showed us the player he can be and so far this  season (allowing for the fact he has been ill and not yet match fit) and what I've seen of O'Connor, I'd play Lamie first.

There I said it.

Edited by santheman