Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

47 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I can’t get my around why a club who have done so much good stuff for their fans, gets permission to have 6500 into a match and gives 2000 of these tickets to the away fans. Bizarre.

Who else would we give them to?

Aye, there definitely seems to be some panic and outrage here over absolutely nothing.

The club has already stated that there are a few hundred available for ballot outwith the season ticket allocation. Couple that with what I imagine will be at least the same again from seats not uptaken by ST holders (only 2 of our usual group of 4 can make it due to holiday/other commitments, and I'd guarantee a fair number more in the same boat at this time of year), and there's absolutely nothing to see here.

As the type of club we are, if those in charge thought the 2,000 were close to being needed to satisfy home support, we'd have them, but we simply don't so a couple of thousand Hibbee's, a bit of atmosphere and a real day at the fitba become,  and I for one cannae wait.

Every "Well fan who really wants in will get in.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I can’t get my around why a club who have done so much good stuff for their fans, gets permission to have 6500 into a match and gives 2000 of these tickets to the away fans. Bizarre.

You need to take a few things into account:

Firstly, the nature of Fir Park; 2 small stands, a main stand with a hugely curtailed capacity and a huge away stand that can't easily be segregated. Without pissing off the season ticket holders by moving them to the South Stand, there is a natural limit to the number of home vs away fans that you can hold under current restrictions.

Secondly - the number who will realistically turn up on a Sunday for a Sky game. Motherwell's core support is about 4000, there is no getting away from that. It has been creeping up over the past few years but that is a fact of life. Our games against Hibs tend to get around 6k under normal circumstances because Hibs usually bring a decent support through (more on that next) - so a 4.5k/2k split is actually a pretty accurate breakdown of the normal home:away support in this fixture

Thirdly (and more speculatively), in these days of lower away supports generally - Hibs along with Aberdeen, Hearts and the OF, still bring a healthy away support to Fir Park and so it makes simple good commercial sense to act in a "positive" way towards Hibs in this case - you can't think of home fans only when we rely on the bigger teams as an income stream.

Lastly, for all that Motherwell are a good community club and look after the supporters much better than might have been the case in the past - we are pretty explicitly a "members club" these days and putting members (season ticket holders and (usually) 'Well Society members) ahead of others in the queue is a choice - we really need to convert as many of our regular supporters into Season Ticket holders and using the stick sometimes as well as the carrot isn't unreasonable - and the "Season Ticket holders first" message is the main way of doing that.

1 hour ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Do you reckon we’ll have the big Finnish centre half in in time for Sunday?

Alexander's PA interview suggested we were "hopeful" of one in this week. So assuming he's the one that's "bubbling away".....

Alexander is hoping for several more signings but not all before Sunday’s visit of Hibernian.

“We are hopeful of at least one,” he said. “There is something bubbling away so fingers crossed that happens this week."

Link

14 minutes ago, Swello said:

I was wondering if we had to wait until July 31st for his current contract to expire. Probably not but you never know.

I half-wondered if the whole chicanery around English league payments due at the end of July was a factor in the other "targets" that were hinted at.

“We have two or three other options but they are a bit further away. I would be cautious about being able to get them in this week and whether they would be ready for Sunday anyway.

“But there is still a bit of work to do to get the squad where we want it to be.”

Link

Oh, and it looks like Odoffin's away to Rotherham which isn't in itself a surprise but the fact that we were quoted as having been looking at him interests me,

Scott Burns RT'd the story that links to the Record.

"Hibs, St Mirren and Motherwell have all shown interest in Odoffin in recent weeks."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Wouldn't have been upset if we'd ended up with Odoffin tbf. He absolutely ran all over the top of our, admittedly soft as shite, midfield a few months back. 

Statistically was he not one of the best players in his position in the league?

As I said the other day, if we've been showing an interest in another DM then putting 2+2 together it'd suggest that Alexander doesn't think any of O'Hara, Maguire or Crawford are fits for that role and tbf the extent to which we appeared to miss Donnelly last season highlighted that massively.

I suppose the other interesting aspect is that it suggests a certain level of "quality" we're looking at, rather than the Newell/Petravicius/Ilic/Manzinga style punts we'd see around this point of the window with the previous recruitment strategy.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Statistically was he not one of the best players in his position in the league?

As I said the other day, if we've been showing an interest in another DM then putting 2+2 together it'd suggest that Alexander doesn't think any of O'Hara, Maguire or Crawford are fits for that role and tbf the extent to which we appeared to miss Donnelly last season highlighted that massively.

I suppose the other interesting aspect is that it suggests a certain level of "quality" we're looking at, rather than the Newell/Petravicius/Ilic/Manzinga style punts we'd see around this point of the window with the previous recruitment strategy.

I'd actually forgotten about Newell tbf. Poor guy was nailed to the bench and in just about one of his only appearances got his face caved in by some Aberdonian donkey. 

41 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

got his face caved in by some Aberdonian donkey. 

One of these things that gave me the massive heads-gone seethe (which wasn't ideal as I was in hospitality for that semi-final). The Aberdeen guy had taken an absolute doing from Curtis Main and took out his frustration on a stick insect of a young player. Still annoys me thinking about it.

17 minutes ago, Swello said:

One of these things that gave me the massive heads-gone seethe (which wasn't ideal as I was in hospitality for that semi-final). The Aberdeen guy had taken an absolute doing from Curtis Main and took out his frustration on a stick insect of a young player. Still annoys me thinking about it.

Out cold before he landed, play on.

6 minutes ago, ropy said:

Has anyone maintained a list of where last seasons cast offs have ended up?

It's in the Squad Lists thread.

Left the club:

• Allan Campbell (signed for Luton Town)
  • Aaron Chapman (signed for Gillingham)
  • Devante Cole (signed for Barnsley)
  • Findlay Cook
  • Charles Dunne (signed for St Mirren)
  • Sam Foley (signed for Tranmere Rovers)
  • Declan Gallagher (signed for Aberdeen)
  • Paul Hale (signed for Cambuslang Rangers)
  • Yusuf Hussain (signed for Forfar Athletic)
  • Christopher Long (signed for Crewe Alexandra)
  • Ross MacIver (signed for Partick Thistle)
  • Matthew McDonald (signed for Airdrie)
  • Sam Muir (signed for Dumbarton)
  • Liam Polworth (signed for Kilmarnock)
  • Lewis Robertson
  • Harry Robinson (signed for Clyde)
  • Sherwin Seedorf
  • Jamie Semple
  • Cammy Williamson

Loans Expired:

• Jake Hastie (Rangers)
  • Liam Kelly (Queens Park Rangers) - (loan made permanent - signed for Motherwell)
  • Tyler Magloire (Blackburn Rovers)
  • Eddie Nolan (Crewe Alexandra) - (signed for Waterford)
  • Jordan Roberts (Heart of Midlothian)
  • Harry Smith (Northampton Town) - (signed for Leyton Orient)
Edited by capt_oats

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It's in the Squad Lists thread.

Left the club:

• Allan Campbell (signed for Luton Town)
  • Aaron Chapman (signed for Gillingham)
  • Devante Cole (signed for Barnsley)
  • Findlay Cook
  • Charles Dunne (signed for St Mirren)
  • Sam Foley (signed for Tranmere Rovers)
  • Declan Gallagher (signed for Aberdeen)
  • Paul Hale (signed for Cambuslang Rangers)
  • Yusuf Hussain (signed for Forfar Athletic)
  • Christopher Long (signed for Crewe Alexandra)
  • Ross MacIver (signed for Partick Thistle)
  • Matthew McDonald (signed for Airdrie)
  • Sam Muir (signed for Dumbarton)
  • Liam Polworth (signed for Kilmarnock)
  • Lewis Robertson
  • Harry Robinson (signed for Clyde)
  • Sherwin Seedorf
  • Jamie Semple
  • Cammy Williamson

Loans Expired:

• Jake Hastie (Rangers)
  • Liam Kelly (Queens Park Rangers) - (loan made permanent - signed for Motherwell)
  • Tyler Magloire (Blackburn Rovers)
  • Eddie Nolan (Crewe Alexandra) - (signed for Waterford)
  • Jordan Roberts (Heart of Midlothian)
  • Harry Smith (Northampton Town) - (signed for Leyton Orient)

Thanks, there is life after Motherwell, even if it is in Dubai like wee Harry.

7 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Makes perfect sense to me, the club rarely get things wrong and this is no exception.

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

Makes perfect sense to me, the club rarely get things wrong and this is no exception.

Also credit to Lanarkshire Council. They’re allowing almost 50% of the capacity of Fir Park into the ground. Aberdeen City Council are only allowing 30% of Pittodrie’s capacity in on Sunday.