Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, dezz said:

I can't think of any teams (outwith the OF) that have done better than us in the transfer market in recent years.

Other teams have obviously had the odd big sale like Hibs with McGinn and to be fair, it looks like they'll do well again from Nisbet, Doig and Porteous, but off the top of my head you have to go back to the likes of when Gauld, Armstrong and Robertson left Utd, Steven Naismith left Kille, or McCarthy and McCarthur left Accies for other sizeable fees. (Freely admit I could be forgetting loads of people here because I've done zero research!)

I'd be very surprised if any other non-OF club could point to the same number of £250k+ fees received in the last 5 years as us. 

1/3 of the McGinn Xfer fee went to St Mirren

4 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Where has is been shown it's 6500? All I've seen is 4500. 

Curious as Hearts are still stuck at 3000 and crowds like that would surely mean we can get a bigger crowd for the Celtic game.

2000 away fans announced by Hibs

6 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Where has is been shown it's 6500? All I've seen is 4500. 

Curious as Hearts are still stuck at 3000 and crowds like that would surely mean we can get a bigger crowd for the Celtic game.

Hearts aren’t Motherwell 

48 minutes ago, ropy said:

Hearts aren’t Motherwell 

No shit 🤪
But Motherwell announced 4500 last week. Are the 2000 Hibs fans on top of that, or part of the 4500 as I've not seen it said anywhere that it's 6500 allowed.

Take Hearts out of it, I'm just curious in general as to crowd numbers are being approached.

1 minute ago, Tony Wonder said:

No shit 🤪
But Motherwell announced 4500 last week. Are the 2000 Hibs fans on top of that, or part of the 4500 as I've not seen it said anywhere that it's 6500 allowed.

Take Hearts out of it, I'm just curious in general as to crowd numbers are being approached.

AFAIK 2000 on top of the 4500

1 minute ago, Tony Wonder said:

No shit 🤪

Confirmed 4,500 home supporters last week.

1235428990_ScreenShot2021-07-26at16_11_51.thumb.png.59517ff9b714c9294a5bf84206b0b35a.png

4 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

No shit 🤪

We're the establishment club, m8.  We can do whatever the f**k we like.  

7 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

No shit 🤪

Just take it that 6500 are allowed or whatever else Burrows wants

Alexander talking about recruitment.

It's PA copy so I'm just chucking it in here:

Sixteen first-team players departed Fir Park this summer and Alexander does not want to be in the same position next year.

So he is happy to take more time to get the right players in for the long term.

Liam Kelly, Callum Slattery, Kaiyne Woolery and Connor Shields have come in on three-year contracts while Kevin Van Veen joined until 2023.

“It’s a real difficult scenario,” Alexander said. “I have had two (windows) now, January and this one, and it is really difficult to recruit players in time to get a plan in place.

“We want to identify players we think can come with us for a few years. We know if someone comes and buys them, we understand where we are in the food chain.

“But if we can build some momentum through time and familiarity with the squad, then all the better.

“We can’t be chopping and changing the squad every window. It’s impossible, it’s not sustainable.

“We have to identify the right players to do that but it shows we want to plan for, not just next season, but the future.”

Alexander is hoping for several more signings but not all before Sunday’s visit of Hibernian.

“We are hopeful of at least one,” he said. “There is something bubbling away so fingers crossed that happens this week.

“We have two or three other options but they are a bit further away. I would be cautious about being able to get them in this week and whether they would be ready for Sunday anyway.

“But there is still a bit of work to do to get the squad where we want it to be.”

Link

Edited by capt_oats

Stephen Robinson seeing us get a transfer budget and long term contracts:
200.gif&key=13ad29a8b7aae04110df51527583907e2aea3e10955c5f1905d463e9930812f5
Just imagine a front 3 of Seedorf, Manzinga and Petravicius with them all under contract until 2026.Even joking about it gives me the fear.

I do wonder if there has been a change in strategy or whether, given the number of bodies he brought in, the option was there for Robinson to offer a 3 year deal to 1 decent player rather than 1 year deals to 5 shite players?

24 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Just imagine a front 3 of Seedorf, Manzinga and Petravicius with them all under contract until 2026.Even joking about it gives me the fear.

I do wonder if there has been a change in strategy or whether, given the number of bodies he brought in, the option was there for Robinson to offer a 3 year deal to 1 decent player rather than 1 year deals to 5 shite players?

That branch of the timeline is fucking terrifying tbqh.

You're point about the strategy is something I've been wondering as well.

Like, I guess on a certain level transfer strategy is going to be informed to a degree at a board room level. At least, it'd have to be approved but unless I've missed it there's been no "we aren't able to pay top wages", "we've the 2nd lowest budget in the league" type chat coming from Alexander whereas Robinson leaned into it heavily.

I've a lot of time for Robinson but it often felt like he was being clever with semantics when he talked about budgets.

The idea that he'd maybe have say for arguments sake £1600 a week budgeted for a midfield position but out of choice we'd be risk averse and go for 2 players on £800 p/w and hope one comes good would lead to..."we can only offer players £800 a week" and spin that into us having "one of the lowest budgets" because of what how the manager has chosen to allocate his budget rather than what we had available.

Probably unanswerable question but I'm genuinely not sure that Robinson would have taken the risk of hanging around waiting for Kelly.

Anyway, assuming it's big Juhani that's the one "bubbling away" there's the potential of another 2 or 3 options on top of that. That's interesting.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Stephen Robinson seeing us get a transfer budget and long term contracts:

frustrated the wire GIF

The thing is I don’t think Robinson would even look to target players such as Slattery and look into those potential availabilities of them. He’d much rather as also before said bring in 2 and hope they come well than one kind of quality signing. And I know nobody is a guarantee to hit the ground running or be a nailed on huge influence but it does seem to be much more positive this year. 

Edited by supermarv