Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Not to go full yer da but get these short corners to f**k. They knew what we were doing and charged down every single one of them resulting in them being a waste of time.

Aye 110% possibly 1 or 2 if it’s an option and nobody closing down to catch the opponent off guard. If we want to try a corner tactic like Bournemouth for example with Eddie Howe fair enough. But ours isn’t a tactic it’s just pure daft ness especially doing it for every corner.

Popping this in here and deleting the post from last night with The Sun screenshot because f**k The Sun.

Anyway, yes...it raises some interesting questions if we've shown an interest/been looking at Odoffin.

Edited by capt_oats

I really enjoyed watching Odoffin last year and was really surprised when he signed a new deal at Accies quite late on last season. His performance in the pumping at Fir Park when he turned into prime Patrick Viera was exceptional.
I could be wrong but did he not do his best work with Accies at CDM last season and wasn’t quite as impressive when he dropped back to centre back?
I’d be surprised if we were looking to bring in yet another deep lying midfielder when our deficiencies in the middle are further forward.
If we were interested, that would also signal we are happy to pay yet another fee for a player and provide further evidence that we are indeed fucking massive.

15 minutes ago, dezz said:

I really enjoyed watching Odoffin last year and was really surprised when he signed a new deal at Accies quite late on last season. His performance in the pumping at Fir Park when he turned into prime Patrick Viera was exceptional.
I could be wrong but did he not do his best work with Accies at CDM last season and wasn’t quite as impressive when he dropped back to centre back?
I’d be surprised if we were looking to bring in yet another deep lying midfielder when our deficiencies in the middle are further forward.

If we were interested, that would also signal we are happy to pay yet another fee for a player and provide further evidence that we are indeed fucking massive.

That's what interests me as it suggests that Alexander has perhaps decided that none of O'Hara, Maguire or Crawford (thank f**k) are suitable options to play in the CDM role. Which really only leaves Donnelly for that job based on the bodies we have in the building at the moment.

By extension it kind of opens up a question of, if we're still bringing a few others in, does that have a knock on for the likes of O'Hara and Crawford as you'd imagine we'll be our Donnelly and Slattery will be making up 2 of our starting midfield 3.

Greg Marshall had us definitely needing a starting level CDM in his scouting report and quite frankly, who am I to argue there.

Also...

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, superward said:

Bit quieter on here after a win....

Maybe because I don’t really give a f**k about Airdrie myself but the reaction to Wednesday night seemed just a wee bit ott- even though it was an absolute shocker. 

There seems to be a fair amount of folk with the knives out for Alexander already which to me is absolutely mental at this stage. We were joint bottom when he took over in January. He done a terrific job in difficult circumstances and surely deserves not only credit but a chance to build his own team as a result?

Wednesday night wasn’t it.  At least by no means the finished product anyway. In fact 9 of the 11 that started were here last season. Van Veen(and Donnelly) obviously weren’t risked. Shiels hasn’t been seen yet through injury. We look to have added another couple of players since then as well and have at least another 3 senior players coming back from injury. 

Yet some folk have us relegated already, the window doesn’t even shut for another 5 weeks! I know watching us just about stumble our way through the League Cup games hasn’t been great but it’s far too early to judge Alexander when we’re essentially still in pre-season. 

Have to say outside of maybe Amaluzor and Parker, I’ve actually been quite pleased with his signings on paper so far. Very much like the look of Slattery as well and Ojala seems like he’d be a bit of coup compared to your usual English lower league clogger we pick up. 

Essentially, I’m willing to wait a wee while longer and see where we are in 5 or 6 weeks time before I start accepting certain relegation. 

Edited by Casagolda

Just on the short corner thing, mentioned this over on SO but it's not like a free kick where we're trying to fool anyone, or even the old "hand signals in the air" thing at a corner to let your attackers know what area you're playing the ball to (regardless of it actually being smashed out for a throw on the opposite side). We're just doing it to change the angle of delivery and to pull at least 1 but more likely 2 defenders out of the box, leaving a bit more space (and less defenders) in the area that your attackers are trying to find a yard or 2 in.

Even going in to the opposing changing room before the game and telling them we're intending on doing that for every corner, they still have to pull 2 players out the box to deal with it, and that's why we're getting a wee bit of joy out of it, not because it's a surprise.

Aye, seriously considering dumpin SO for good as some of the posts from the usual suspects are becoming even more cringeworthy if that was possible.

Already dumped FB and Twitter as it's just too depressing to read or maybe I'm just becoming a crabbit auld b*****d with no patience.

MgGinley seems to be the new whipping boy in there because he's had 2 bad games.

People forget just how rotten we were before Alexander came in so to read some of the guff from the usual keyboard warriors who think tactics are some kind of mint sweetie really boils my piss.

There was a Twitter thread on the go last night with some boy who was absolutely furious that some Motherwell fans didn't seem to give a f**k about losing to Airdrie in a glorified bounce game of a competition that we ended up qualifying from top of our group because rivalry and how-very-fucking-dare-these-so-called-Motherwell-fans shrug their shoulders.

Don't get me wrong, if we hadn't qualified it'd have been a colossal failure (given our record at this stage of the competition - we didn't lose a single group game on Robinson's watch) and would have made our strategy look quite foolish. A large part of us not exactly being convincing has been down to a very obvious change in approach to this summer and the knock on that holding off on recruitment has had on account of players picking up injuries.

I don't think any of the 4 group games saw us start with what you'd consider our preferred starting XI.

Seeing the usual suspects working them into a shoot about stuff that's really quite self-explanatory and obvious is some trip.

Edited by capt_oats

Maybe because I don’t really give a f**k about Airdrie myself but the reaction to Wednesday night seemed just a wee bit ott- even though it was an absolute shocker. 

Had it been any other game in the group (even Annan) the reaction wouldn’t have been as bad.
It is just the general apathy we seem to have going into any ‘Derby’ that causes so much frustration. No matter who we play, they are always up for it more than us.

Over the years, I’ve been able to ignore the Accies hammering’s because I never really viewed it as a big Derby, a game with an extra bit of needle sure, but it was just like losing a game vs Hibs/Hearts to me.

Airdrie was THE Derby and it’s hard to take that we were so poor. Of course I’m not calling for the manager’s head or anything but I can’t lie, I’m still bitterly disappointed that we didn’t turn up.

Still, Alexander was right, we can’t allow it to ever happen again and I’m sure if he’s here next season then he will be prepared for the early start to the competitive season.

Yeah I was annoyed about losing the Airdrie game because they are 2 leagues below us and made us look like when you play against your big brothers pals. Aside from that though, as long as we qualified then I'm good, which we did, and I certainly didn't have the slightest bit of OMG IT'S AIRDRIE!! feelings.

On the good Captain's point above r.e. Robinson not losing a group game - I do consider finding the trees/road with most of our penalties at Stranraer a couple of years ago as a loss. It might have *officially* been a draw without a bonus point....but for me, come on, we lost on penalties.

Edited by Al B

Here's Alexander talking about Slattery and what type of midfielder he is.

Alexander didn’t expect to have Slattery signed from Southampton in time for kick-off against Annan, but says he’ll be an asset to Motherwell: “He will bring a little bit of everything. He is a good passer of the ball and he wants to pass forward and he can also put his foot in. He is what we would call an old-fashioned midfield player.

“We have been speaking to him and Southampton for a while as we tried to get him on board because there was a lot of interest in him. We are really happy that he chose us to take his career onto a new level. That is his first game in pre-season so we have to be careful. He hasn’t even trained with us.

“He only got up last on Friday and then we had to go through all the protocols but we felt that it was a good opportunity to get him into it and give him some game time. He showed some nice touches.

“Sometimes you can wait too long as a new player and that first game builds up in your mind. I spoke to him on Friday and told him that he would be on the bench to get him some minutes. It’s good because he is part of it and chatting with the boys.”

Link

So...Campbell's replacement then?