Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

23 hours ago, Desp said:

@capt_oats must be busy this morning.  Was expecting a list of every available Finnish centre half, with accompanying You Tube highlight reels.

Aye. I was busy with my actual job yesterday morning so I've missed all the post-Airdrie fall out.

I doubt I've much to add other than we were always running this risk by taking our time with the signings and having massive fucking gaps in our defence and midfield not to mention actively treating these group games as pre-season.

Say what you like about Robinson's signing policy but we never lost a LC group game under him (in fact prior to Wednesday the only group game we'd lost was the very first one against Rangers in 2016).

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

Noticed Burrows on twitter saying some new faces very shortly, a CAM and CB please. As others have mentioned, wouldn't mind seeing Tony Watt as the 10 either.

In addition to this, Ben Banks reporting we expect to make two brilliant additions before Hibs, probably taken from Alexander's press conference. Dean Cornelius out injured as well. 

Here's the quote from The Record:

He said: "Before next week we hope to have at least two more players in, which will certainly strengthen us, the players in mind that we're talking about.

"They will be brilliant additions to the squad, they will improve us, and we just need to get them in as soon as possible, really, to give us that full week before the big kick off in the league.

"Hopefully they will be with us ASAP and then we'll have to see if they're ready to play games.

"I don't think at the moment they've played any pre-season games at their other clubs, so we'll see how we go with that."

Link

"at their other clubs"? Hmmmm...so they're not free-agents then?

I mean, calling them "brilliant" additions is setting us up for a fall. The Thread will be the judge of whether they're "brilliant" or not thank you very much.

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. I was busy with my actual job yesterday morning so I've missed all the post-Airdrie fall out.

I doubt I've much to add other than we were always running this risk by taking our time with the signings and having massive fucking gaps in our defence and midfield not to mention actively treating these group games as pre-season.

Say what you like about Robinson's signing policy but we never lost a LC group game under him (in fact prior to Wednesday the only group game we'd lost was the very first one against Rangers in 2016).

Here's the quote from The Record.

"at their other clubs"? Hmmmm...so they're not free-agents then?

I mean, calling them "brilliant" additions is setting us up for a fall. The Thread will be the judge of whether they're "brilliant" or not thank you very much.

possibly a premier league loan, or championship even? Based on nothing more than the English teams not being long back and probably not many games under there belts.

Guest superward

If we scrape through the League cup group,  get a couple of 'brilliant' players, then some players back from injury/up to fitness, and a couple of wins in August.....I'll be happy. Let's go GA. 

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I have a hopefully-unfounded fear that he means they are currently "brilliant" decorators, or "brilliant" plumbers.

Guest superward
3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Have I missed anything or has there been any word about attendance etc for the Hibs game yet?

Nowt yet officially. We've submitted a request to increase it from 2000 though. 

8 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwell-boss-graham-alexander-hopes-24600291

Confirms that we are starting tomorrow with both Maguire & Crawford in midfield then. 

disappointed the wire GIF 

I say this having not read much about any other injuries etc but rather than dropping Crawford in there to replace Cornelius is there not an argument that we'd be more likely to go:

Lawleff Donnelly Maguire
Woolery VanVeen Watt

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I say this having not read much about any other injuries etc but rather than dropping Crawford in there to replace Cornelius is there not an argument that we'd be more likely to go:

Lawleff Donnelly Maguire
Woolery VanVeen Watt

Christ I hope so. 

2 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

My guess is moving the ball lets you fire in an out-swinging cross with less chance of the ball going out for a goal kick.

Statistically the attacking team will win the first header more times when it’s an in-swinging cross compared to an out-swinging cross but it’s more likely to be a goal scoring chance from an out-swinger. Or at least it was the case about ten years ago when I googled it during a pub fitba argument/debate.

Surely if you move the ball infield then it is virtually impossible to play an outswinger? Or am I missing something?

14 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Kelly can kick it long from the 6 yard line whothout someone needing to tap it to him.

Using 3 players to take a goal kick is like having 2 men taking a corner on steroids. Get the centre backs up the park. Push the opposition midfield back. Stop fucking about deep in our own half.

Don’t mind the goal kick routine or the short corners either

What gets my goat is 4 - 3 - 3 it just doesn’t work with the players that we have at our disposal 

The quicker we get it to f**k the better for all concerned 

Just read it’s Amy Winehouse’s 10th anniversary today, which means it’s 10 years since we opened the 2011/12 season with a 3-0 win over Inverness - a cracker from Las and a collectors item from Hammell among them.

Randolph; Hateley, Craigan, Hutchinson, Hammell; Humphrey, Lasley, Jennings, Law; Higdon, Murphy.

What we would give for an XI of that quality now!

7 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Just read it’s Amy Winehouse’s 10th anniversary today, which means it’s 10 years since we opened the 2011/12 season with a 3-0 win over Inverness - a cracker from Las and a collectors item from Hammell among them.

Randolph; Hateley, Craigan, Hutchinson, Hammell; Humphrey, Lasley, Jennings, Law; Higdon, Murphy.

What we would give for an XI of that quality now!

Genuinely one of the best 'Well teams ever that one - Ojamma still to be added too. That midfield actually makes me sad.

Edited by Swello