Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

He's definitely not fit yet but there's definitely an absolute PLER in there with KVV. Some of his touches & hold up play on Saturday showed what he can offer. As it stands I'd be happy seeing us go with Watt, KVV & Woolery up front and move Lawless to midfield to offer a bit of creativity in there tonight. 

From what Van Veen was saying (according to the Record) Saturday was the first time he's played more than 60 mins in 13 months so given his injuries last season it's understandable he's being managed.

"I was quite close a couple of times, there were ones cleared off the line and I have quite a bit to go compared to others with my fitness, still, so I'm getting managed from time to time with the staff," he said.

"Sometimes I was sharp, sometimes I was quite tired from pressing, but I've got a lot to improve for myself, so we're working hard on that."

Link

Based on that one game though, collision with Lawleff and knocking a diag out for a throw at halfway from the edge of the QOTSA box aside, it's pretty clear that he's someone who falls into the "also for fans of Nadir Ciftci" bracket. Linking play and a bit of finesse seems to be his wheelhouse.

And I'll be honest, I'm absolutely fine with that. Mercurial #ballers are definitely relevant to my interests.

Edited by capt_oats

Guest superward
20 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

From what Van Veen was saying (according to the Record) Saturday was the first time he's played more than 60 mins in 13 months so given his injuries last season it's understandable he's being managed.

Based on that one game though, collision with Lawleff and knocking a diag out for a throw at halfway from the edge of the QOTSA box aside, it's pretty clear that he's someone who falls into the "also for fans of Nadir Ciftci" bracket. Linking play and a bit of finesse seems to be his wheelhouse.

And I'll be honest, I'm absolutely fine with that. Mercurial #ballers are definitely relevant to my interests.

He's in the bracket but already looks like twice the player Nadir was. Certainly from the angle I watched in the first half on Saturday. Second half I was too far away really.

Have no recollection of Mekongo what so ever.

I was absolutely buzzing as a wee guy when we signed Abel Thermus, think he lasted all of five minutes on his debut at Rugby Park before getting sent off for a head butt if I recall?

Also Loved Klimpl and Kristian Vadocz (who's football manager picture was just Jamie Murphy) Not even sure if they were any good.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

He's definitely not fit yet but there's definitely an absolute PLER in there with KVV. Some of his touches & hold up play on Saturday showed what he can offer. As it stands I'd be happy seeing us go with Watt, KVV & Woolery up front and move Lawless to midfield to offer a bit of creativity in there tonight. 

I find it very hard to disagree although that still leaves us without an out and out goalscorer. They can all put the ball in the net from time to time but add in little creativity from midfield even when looking at Lawless and I can see goals being a problem as we stand at the moment. The young striker from Queens does have a decent record but at a lower level so a bit of an unknown in the top flight. Two or three more signings still the key to this season for me.

44 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Also Loved Klimpl and Kristian Vadocz (who's football manager picture was just Jamie Murphy) Not even sure if they were any good.

Klimpl falls very much into the 'missing a dingbat' mould.

Vadocz, from my memory, was absolutely class.

I'd have liked to have seen how Vadocz fared the following season alongside the likes of Stephen Hughes, feeding Porter, McCormack and a rejuvenated David Clarkson. You could tell he had a certain class about him, but it was lost to an extent under Malpas' management playing alongside players like Trevor Molloy and Paul Keegan.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

Looked like an actual, proper footballer - and so kind of out place.

Aye he stood out like a sore thumb. He went on to have a very decent career in La Liga and scored goals away from home against both Atletico Madrid and Real.

There could be a whole thread of these obscure players. Who was the young boy we signed/loaned from West Ham and never saw the light of day again? Tractor picture star Holm Kraska from Borrussia Dortmund (club shop employee presumably) is one of the best ever if you're old enough to have never seen him play.

Edited by Swello

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

There could be a whole thread of these obscure players. Who was the young boy we signed/loaned from West Ham and never saw the light of day again? Tractor picture star Holm Kraska from Borrussia Dortmund (club shop employee presumably) is one of the best ever if you're old enough..

Luka Belic?

Semih Aydilek on loan from Birmingham was another one, the same day we signed Cillian Sheridan on loan.

Mark McGhee freely admitted he'd never seen him play before and only took him on loan because Alex McLeish said he was a good player. Didn't play a single minute.