Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd imagine Motherwell are like us, in that they're willing to shell out the big money for players that are "proven".

It caught us out when we ended up with the shells of Swanson, O'Halloran and May suckling all the financial teets a couple of seasons ago, but Kelly's in a far better place rejoining you lot than those three were joining us, and you at least stand a chance of recouping any money spent.

Given Kelly’s age and performances he “ should” be a very safe signing that we “ should”make money on along with strengthening the team. But nothing in life is guaranteed.

57 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Never saw that one coming. Knew he'd be off but thought Hartlepool was pretty much a certainty.

Interesting comment from him in the United PR. Sounds like he thought he was off to Hartlepool as well.

""There was talk of me moving back down to England for family reasons, but once Dundee United came in for me and I spoke to the gaffer and Sporting Director Tony Asghar it was a no brainer to come here," said Trevor."

Link

Reading between the lines it's worth his while going for the two year deal with United compared with what Hartlepool would have been offering.

I'm genuinely a bit gutted about this lads. Feels like a proper end of an era thing.

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Interesting comment from him in the United PR. Sounds like he thought he was off to Hartlepool as well.

Reading between the lines it's worth his while going for the  two year deal with United compared with what Hartlepool would have been offering.

I'm genuinely a bit gutted about this lads. Feels like a proper end of an era thing.

Aye, Trev's injury issues really ruined what he was. He can still hopefully get back some of his old form but he was genuinely great for us.

As well as Grimmy being the last man standing from the thunderdome era (unless you count Barry Maguire making a couple of appearances), we’re even down to just those two and Liam Donnelly from the 18/19 season now. We don’t half turnover some amount of players.

10 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Aye, Trev's injury issues really ruined what he was. He can still hopefully get back some of his old form but he was genuinely great for us.

Like you said in the United thread, there's a different strand of the multiverse where he's Celtic's #1 and sitting with league and cup winners medals.

I am glad Trev won’t be sitting on our bench, when he did before there were reasons and he was clearly back as no. 1 last year, being relegated to the bench again would be a sad end to his time with us.

Really sad to see Trev go - seemed like a massively down to earth guy that deserved the kind of move that other top players have got when they left us. 

I'm honestly intruiged that Utd would take a chance on someone that - when you remove the emotion from it - we weren't prepared to. The fact that there was paper talk about them being in for Kelly makes it more interesting.

3 hours ago, Swello said:

I'm honestly intruiged that Utd would take a chance on someone that - when you remove the emotion from it - we weren't prepared to. The fact that there was paper talk about them being in for Kelly makes it more interesting.

Theres a lot of red flags about that club this Summer.

No interest in Carson or Kelly, then all of a sudden desperate to get Kelly, it falls through so they go for, lets be honest, a crock.

Same with Mulgrew. No interest until Mellon left and rumours started that Edwards was following. Mulgrew comes in, and Edwards stays. They now have 4 CBs on a starting wage.

6 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Yeah kinda, the first one, the deep vein thrombosis was a freak and pretty rare. The second seemed to be caused by our defence being a crock of shit am him overextending himself which again seemed freakish and not related to the first. To suggest on ongoing issue or long term crock seems unfair on two sidelines I'd attribute to bad luck.

He was an excellent keeper for us, intelligent distribution (always a fan of an overhead arm through skiting the ball to a free winger on the halfway line) and excellent shot stopper who more than earned his international call up.

That Celtic are in a hole, "Sliding Doors" thing I'm sure he'll discuss with Si Ferry and the ginger cokewomble in 10 years time.

Seems GA values what he can see rather than what he's promised and I guess reckons Kelly is worth +9 points a season through his contributions which is a good return at our level. One thing is for certain, based on where we acquired him from if nobody bites for three years like it did with Randolph then it'll be a big dent in the pocket. I suspect the wages offered to secure the move are factored on him moving in a year or 18 months.

Lot's of things I'm sure he's like to see, from a pairing of Watt and Van Veen, Watt as the treqarista, feeding a front 3 of VV, Amaluzor and Woolery and if Donnelly can protect the defence and recreate the form of July to September 2019.

Hoping now that finding a quality centre half is next. You'd hope that identifying a defensive marshaller should be a shoe in with his knowledge of the game down south especially as he's essentially looking for someone in the same vein as he was as a player.

Bit of true quality in midfield and it'll be interesting to see how things go.

A little update about Allan...
image.png.7ba80825d1791925b53e9fea2cc70648.png
https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/sport/football/luton-town/new-hatter-campbell-settling-in-well-with-luton-following-motherwell-switch-3298808

He set up two goals and nearly grabbed one himself in 45 minutes of The Hatter's first friendly of the season - they beat Hitchin 7-0, so he's off and running!

It's genuinely hard not to feel sorry for him over the Celtic debacle after what followed. He was in terrific form that season and I'm sure at that point, he, Stephen Robinson and just about everyone else who was watching him thought that the move would come at some point, just not when Motherwell had 24 hours to find a replacement.

Having seen the decidedly average Scott Bain's career/earnings since then it must be a sore one. Ten months later he was in Wishy General with DVT unsure if he would play again. I'm speculative with these figures, but I'm sure having those thoughts on a 4-year-deal at Celtic on £7,000 a week would've been a lot less daunting than they were with 18 months left on his Motherwell deal on £1,500 a week.

Things like that are the exact reason why I don't blame any footballer taking a big money move when their stock is high, i.e. Jake Hastie. It's such a fragile career and you truly don't know what is around the corner.

Another thing I sympathise with Carson for is that for those two games in December, he was probably rushed back and suffered as a result of Robinson being desperate to turn things around. 

One thing around his move to Celtic that did make me and my mates chuckle a bit was that he had an interview where he said him and his good lady were looking through the catalogues picking things they could afford if the deal had gone through. The Carson household must have been the only one to still have a physical Argos catalogue in their house in 2018.