Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Ideally. I'd still say we're looking at 5 to come in (2 x CB (1x Gallagher replacement), 2 x CM (Campbell and Polworth replacements) and maybe 1 forward). That'd give you the 10 (max) in Alexander spoke of at the end of last season.

That's what I'd have said, but I have wondered if aside from replacements for Gallagher and Polworth, if Lamie and O'Hara will be promoted from within effectively for two of those slots. However, that rationale is based on Donnelly being fit to play as the DM and as much as he is back training, I wouldn't be surpirsed if we didn't see him till around September time.

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I applied for South Stand tickets for a laugh, always wanted to see a game at FP from the top tier and doubt I'll get many other opportunities unless we have another Gretna situation or something.

Last time I was in the South stand was for the Nancy game. Those bloody inflatable walker things were really annoying though with the amount of kids at the time.

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I applied for South Stand tickets for a laugh, always wanted to see a game at FP from the top tier and doubt I'll get many other opportunities unless we have another Gretna situation or something.

I was lower south stand for the Panathanaikos game. I put the Cooper as my first choice as that's where my season ticket it and South Lower as my second choice. 

24 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

That's what I'd have said, but I have wondered if aside from replacements for Gallagher and Polworth, if Lamie and O'Hara will be promoted from within effectively for two of those slots. However, that rationale is based on Donnelly being fit to play as the DM and as much as he is back training, I wouldn't be surpirsed if we didn't see him till around September time.

Aye, the in my head the 2nd CB would be a Dunne/Magloire-like only fit and preferably good. I don't know how much of it was his agent on manoeuvres but the chat last week that we'd been speaking to O'Connor who's been in on trial about something seemed to fit. Assuming that Taylor or someone fitting that profile was the other that we'd look at.

The Donnelly point is a good one. I noticed Flow mentioning to one of his reply guys that they were planning on taking it slow with Donnelly coming back into the side.

The scouting package Greg Marshall put together was interesting in that regard as it highlighted what most of us thought in so much as neither Crawford or O'Hara were a good fit for the DM role.

Edited by capt_oats

On the centre back chat, am I the only one that’d be more more than happy to see McGinley get a run at LCB which is supposedly his natural position.

Hands up, I took a bit of a shining to big Toby after his performance off the bench in the 2-0 at Easter Road last season, and as the season came to a close had become a fully paid up (sole?) member of the Toby fan club.

No doubt we still need a Gallagher replacement but assuming we’re going with a back 4, I’d be ok in running with New RCB, Mugabi, Lamie and Mcginley with Devine and Donnelly for emergencies.

46 minutes ago, dezz said:

On the centre back chat, am I the only one that’d be more more than happy to see McGinley get a run at LCB which is supposedly his natural position.

Hands up, I took a bit of a shining to big Toby after his performance off the bench in the 2-0 at Easter Road last season, and as the season came to a close had become a fully paid up (sole?) member of the Toby fan club.

No doubt we still need a Gallagher replacement but assuming we’re going with a back 4, I’d be ok in running with New RCB, Mugabi, Lamie and Mcginley with Devine and Donnelly for emergencies.

I noticed that Toby looked like he was starting at LCB in the teamline against Dumbarton. I had really just put that down to the fact it was a friendly and the teams were wild; 7 trialists and 4 from the Academy intake.

With a bit of digging it turns out Robinson actually confirmed he'd brought McGinley in as a CB. I wasn't sure if I'd just made that up or had conflated stuff McGinley had said about it being his preferred position.

“To see Jake on the pitch training with the boys is a positive. I have had a real problem with that left-back position. We brought Ricki Lamie and Nathan McGinley in as centre-backs.

“But we have had to use them at left-back as we expected Jake to be back a lot sooner. Covid was a problem as for the first two months we couldn’t do any rehab with him at all so we are about two months behind with Jake."

Link

Martindale saying we put an offer in for Kelly but Motherwell blew us out the water. We could only get to 40% of your offer, and then nowhere near the wages. Also confirms we're due a sell on % from QPR, cheers for the money at least :D 

Just now, ATLIS said:

Martindale saying we put an offer in for Kelly but Motherwell blew us out the water. We could only get to 40% of your offer, and then nowhere near the wages. Also confirms we're due a sell on % from QPR, cheers for the money at least :D 

We are massive.

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

200 (1).gif

29 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Out of curiosity where's he saying that you could only get to 40% of our offer?

The quotes in the Record don't mention that or other than he'd have taken him back that Livi were actually in for Kelly.

“We have a sell-on so I’ll need to find out what that is and how much, but I don’t think it will be that much.

“I speak to Liam pretty much on a weekly basis and have done since he left the club. I’d have loved to have brought him back to Livingston but unfortunately finances dictate things.

“Motherwell’s offer was miles away from what we could do. I think he’s a fantastic signing for them and I expect him to cement his place in the Scotland squad within the next 12 months or so."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Out of curiosity where's he saying that you could only get to 40% of our offer?

The quotes in the Record don't mention that or other than he'd have taken him back that Livi were actually in for Kelly.

The guy that writes the stuff for the courier added a few more comments in our Facebook group accompanying the story. Few comments stating that it puts into perspective how far off our budget is compared to even mid table teams in this league as well. From what I know we wanted Kelly back and had been trying for a while.

Had said our playing budget is 1.2m compared to Motherwell's of 2m, Kelly being one of the highest paid players probably takes it far beyond what we'd pay.

40 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

The guy that writes the stuff for the courier added a few more comments in our Facebook group accompanying the story. Few comments stating that it puts into perspective how far off our budget is compared to even mid table teams in this league as well. From what I know we wanted Kelly back and had been trying for a while.

Had said our playing budget is 1.2m compared to Motherwell's of 2m, Kelly being one of the highest paid players probably takes it far beyond what we'd pay.

In all seriousness it is quite apparent we pushed the boat out for Liam Kelly.  This is NOT the norm for Motherwell.  Or at least it has not been for as long as I can recall.

I used the comparison with Hibs and Nisbet.  Reportedly they paid £250k+ and are now seeking £3-4m !!

Kelly will never go for that.  He would if he was Greek and Celtic were interested, but the whole Scotland / Motherwell combo would reduce their offer to £52.50.

If he does kick on and become Scotland keeper then hopefully we can recoup our investment and then some.   

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Cheers. I wasn't doubting you like, I just wasn't sure if there was another interview.

I mean, it's all relative really and depends how much Livi would be willing to spend on a player. IIRC we were interested in Dykes when he was at QoTS but Livi were willing to pay a fee in January to get him and loan him back which was obviously a great deal for everyone concerned.

We've paid fees for folk like Carson, Moult and Marvin Johnson in the past so I'd imagine the impact Kelly had after he joined in January it meant we were able to take a bit more of a risk in making cash available for him.

I'd imagine Motherwell are like us, in that they're willing to shell out the big money for players that are "proven".

It caught us out when we ended up with the shells of Swanson, O'Halloran and May suckling all the financial teets a couple of seasons ago, but Kelly's in a far better place rejoining you lot than those three were joining us, and you at least stand a chance of recouping any money spent.