Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Finding it funny that we're usually pretty effusive in our praise of other clubs we have transfer dealings- even if it's just out of politeness and keeping things amicable- but the unanimous line on this is seemingly "aye this one was a fucking slog lads".

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Am I reading this correctly? QPR are replacing Liam Kelly with Jordan fucking Archer?! 😂

as @crazylegsjoe_mfc said the other day when talking about it, he would be willing to chill on the bench for a couple of grand a week.

12 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

@RandomGuy. Are the inputs consistent across countries? i.e. can we trust the data is being gathered in the same detail and to the same standard in different leagues?

I'd imagine a lot of places use just the one company for things like this (Motherwell use Analytics FC), so it should be the same for every league they have detail on.

I use WyScout and you get the same detail for the EPL, Scottish League One, and the Albanian second tier. Can't really comment completely on the accuracy of what they're reporting though I guess, but it's impossible to know without working for them, as there's nothing to really compare against.

Guess the only issue would be using different suppliers in the same database, as there is differences across companies, but can't see anyone doing that tbh.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Kelly on a permanent deal is beyond any expectations I had - and on paper is one of the best bits of business we've done in a while (I'm assuming we haven't gone beyond what we can afford). I guess we have a track record of trying to treat loan players well (ie - making them feel part of things) and now and again, it throws up stuff like this.

I'm liking the quality over quantity so far I have to say...

Sam Foley wouldn't agree...

Everything about the Kelly deal has completely fucked with my brain now.

Like, it's one of those where previously we'd be linked or there would be some lip service paid but the player would end up fucking off somewhere else. Nadz ending up in Turkey or Tam Aldred going to Australia as examples. And that would be fine, in an "at least you tried" way. Everyone would understand.

I'm clearly on the KVV hype-train but even that one you could rationalise; he had a couple of serious injuries last season, didn't have a great goalscoring season but was a free agent and had worked with Alexander, Lucketti and Daws before.

As I said earlier about Kelly, I was still a bit sceptical and the reporting might have been slightly off and it would have ended up being a loan. Which don't get me wrong, would still have been cool but to complete on a 3 year deal has kind of broken my mind in terms of a frame of reference now.

Not that I'm saying we're going after Sergio Ramos or anything but the sort of rhetoric we've got used to from the strategy and model under Robinson seems to have gone straight out the window here.

We're actually looking at just trying to sign some good players now, that's our thing?

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Everything about the Kelly deal has completely fucked with my brain now.

Like, it's one of those where previously we'd be linked or there would be some lip service paid but the player would end up fucking off somewhere else. Nadz ending up in Turkey or Tam Aldred going to Australia as examples. And that would be fine, in an "at least you tried" way. Everyone would understand.

I'm clearly on the KVV hype-train but even that one you could rationalise; he had a couple of serious injuries last season, didn't have a great goalscoring season but was a free agent and had worked with Alexander, Lucketti and Daws before.

As I said earlier about Kelly, I was still a bit sceptical and the reporting might have been slightly off and it would have ended up being a loan. Which don't get me wrong, would still have been cool but to complete on a 3 year deal has kind of broken my mind in terms of a frame of reference now.

Not that I'm saying we're going after Sergio Ramos or anything but the sort of rhetoric we've got used to from the strategy and model under Robinson seems to have gone straight out the window here.

We're actually looking at just trying to sign some good players now, that's our thing?

giphy.gif

To help clear this up I have done some thinking. The only logical explanation is that we are big time.

9 minutes ago, Ill Ray said:

I’m sure I’ve seen him scrapping with a Knowetop maw telling him off for getting a Tim Hortons. 

quite right on the maws. Fucking daft place to put that

Excellent news about Liam Kelly, and a three year deal, no one saw that coming.

You just know already there will be a totally disparaging £250k bid for Kelly next summer from either half of the fuglies!!

Edited by KirkySuperSub

Kelly will prove one of the signings of the season across the entire league, tremendous stuff. Think we're looking pretty decent up top too.

If we can just get a quality central defender and a wee bit of creativity in the middle, St Johnstone can just drop they cups off to us the first chance they get.

10 hours ago, well fan for life said:

To help clear this up I have done some thinking. The only logical explanation is that we are big time.

It's definitely a big-time move for us :)

Personally I'm guessing Liam is going to be something of a one-off, where a very 'known quantity' who has already proved himself is available for a small fee (relative to OF / English money)  where there's a clear path towards a much bigger transfer fee in the future (assuming he continues to perform at the same levels), with a key position being filled for at least 2 years.    Liam almost single-handedly kept us out of relegation trouble when things were looking bleak, and that adds an awful lot of value in itself, kind of like paying an insurance premium.

So I think  we're  unlikely to be throwing any more cash around this season.  And I'd be fine with that.   If Liam pays off with a big transfer in a year or two and we suddenly gain a big influx of cash, then we can try it again.   Or bank it and secure the club's future for an appreciable time.

What does somewhat worry me is whether we're paying him wages more commensurate with his QPR salary.  I can only imagine that would have been higher than anyone in our team, perhaps by several multiples... will that be a cause for future trouble in the changing room?  I hope not.  I hope that it's only Billy Big-Timers who are underperforming at silly wage levels that have the power to break a team spirit, but this is certainly going to be a bit of a sea-change at the Mighty Well.

Feels a wee bit "agent on manoeuvres" this but in fairness we've had him in the building for a couple of weeks now so it's probably not unreasonable to expect a nudge to make some sort of a decision.

I mean, he's clearly not a Declan Gallagher replacement but more the profile of a Magloire.

Although, to be clear, I've no idea if he's any good. Given he's ex-Leicester he could be the next Kipré or the next Kieran Kennedy for all I know.

Edited by capt_oats