Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Fantastic work by the club, as we’ve spoken of this is very much about the belief that with a 3 year deal the club can sell him on at a large profit. However that’s the future so let’s just enjoy watching him in a well shirt for the next couple of years.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Noticed that yer man had posted a link to this on SO.

Couple of things I disagreed with but as a general bit of reading it was worth a flick through.

As much as I enjoyed reading that, it felt like 15 year old me wanting us to sign FM wonderkids my da had never hear of.

7 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

As much as I enjoyed reading that, it felt like 15 year old me wanting us to sign FM wonderkids my da had never hear of.

Aye.

That's kind of the problem I had with it. It was an enjoyable read but a number of those players didn't seem practical fixes at all. So in that respect, why spend the time pulling it together (other than as a wee project, which is fine).

Like, sound I agree with most of the positions you're looking at but why are you recommending players from Finland dude? Similarly, you're saying we should be profiling a striker like Devante Cole but then looking at options who are 5ft 9 (that's without factoring in that KVV is clearly the guy who's Cole's replacement anyway).

Still, it's nice to see someone have a hobby and it's well presented (and well researched).

Edited by capt_oats

Noticed that yer man had posted a link to this on SO.
Couple of things I disagreed with but as a general bit of reading it was worth a flick through.

Get Nana Boateng signed.

#announcenana

I like reading things like this, but I often wonder how they account for intangibles and things like dependence on teammates or the tactics a manager deploys. There seems to be a growing industry around this, and as more data becomes available it can provide some interesting insights. Has any team successfully moneyballed it yet. 

2 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I like reading things like this, but I often wonder how they account for intangibles and things like dependence on teammates or the tactics a manager deploys. There seems to be a growing industry around this, and as more data becomes available it can provide some interesting insights. Has any team successfully moneyballed it yet. 

Not really "moneyball" but Brentford and Barnsley are the obvious ones for really pushing analytics and data.

You also have the Billy Beane connection with Barnsley as well.

Edited by capt_oats

Kelly on a permanent deal is beyond any expectations I had - and on paper is one of the best bits of business we've done in a while (I'm assuming we haven't gone beyond what we can afford). I guess we have a track record of trying to treat loan players well (ie - making them feel part of things) and now and again, it throws up stuff like this.

I'm liking the quality over quantity so far I have to say...

5 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I know I'm on course for a world record of season jinxers in the last day or so but... I could get used to this quality over quantity thing.

As much as #StrakerDay was an absolute carry on I am definitely happier with this new approach.

Delighted with the Kelly news. It’s not often we sign a player comfortable in the knowledge he’s in the top 4-5 players in the league in his position.

KVV will obviously be class so things look like they’re coming together a bit now. As others have said a first choice CB and a creative midfielder are definitely still required but the level of signings so far has me fairly optimistic.

I think a lot of factors played their part in getting the Kelly deal done. There has been a trend of people wanting to be closer to home after all of the covid stuff (and I empathize with that one, but I'm stuck in 'murica a bit longer). Then there was the successful loan period, getting games, and feeling like an integral part of a team, with the players award to top it off. He has also seen two players get Scotland call ups while playing for us, and I'm sure he has his eye on that. Also, at his age he could see out his full contract and still be just approaching his prime and the chance for another big move, with both of the uglies as viable options in the coming years. In fact, I think we're doing him a favour and he should probably take a wage cut.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

"Fairly soon" = 3 days, however "very soon" was what burrows said for the away kit 4 days ago. We know that "tbc" = knee, and "ASAP" = forever, so f**k knows what shortly means. Shambles.  #burrowsout 

48 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

46 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Not really "moneyball" but Brentford and Barnsley are the obvious ones for really pushing analytics and data.

You also have the Billy Beane connection with Barnsley as well.

Livingston are hefty into it, as are Blackpool, if you're looking for relatively successful clubs who aren't spending millions on players then claiming its some behind the scenes genius (Liverpool spending £45m on a proven EPL Portugal cap, then acting as if he was someone unknown that data plucked from the ether when he was successful, was an odd one). Aberdeen have taken some staff from Blackpool so will probably be going down that road too.

As far as I'm aware you use the data to narrow the field (I've got a small database by actual standard, yet my CB database alone has over 1300 players). Those names are then checked for availability. Thats then narrowed down by preference and the player is scouted for however long that takes, then the report(s) reaches the managers desk. The idea that data will be the main reason a player signs is probably wrong, but the idea its not involved in almost every clubs scouting process these days is also wrong. 

Ultimately the whole idea of it is finding players who the manager/staff don't know a huge amount about, so that naturally leads to a lot of results from foreign countries, I think. Theres no real point in anyone interested in data going through the whole process to recommend someone like Liam Kelly for instance. 

On a sidenote, get following yer man Greg Marshall if you're not already. Seems a good egg.