Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'll be honest, I don't really have a problem with Cadden. He changed job - not his fault there was no arrangement between UEFA and US.

he knew, the cúnt

That boy from Chelsea we were vaguely linked with has signed for AFC Wimbledon (which isn't a surprise as they seem to be an unofficial feeder club for Chelsea now https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2021/june/chelsea-boost-robbos-coaching-revolution/ )

This was the link - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/chelsea-midfielder-a-target-motherwell-24320127

For the lolz here's a list of everyone we've been even vaguely linked with or reported to have had on trial so far (I've basically lifted the names from Viva Motherwell's Twitter TL) and not including folk like Liam Kelly or Jordan "can't wait to see you in a few weeks 👀" Roberts.

It's actually more than I thought:

Kevin Van Veen (ST) - signed - played for Alexander at Scunthorpe
Ash Taylor (DF)
Pawel Zuk (DF) - trialist
Josh McPake (FW) - signed for Morecambe
Jamie Ness (MF) - trialist - played for Alexander at Scunthorpe
Tom King (GK) - trialist
Darragh O'Conner (DF) - trialist
Shayon Harrison (ST) - trialist - scouted by Nick Daws for AFC Wimbledon
Joe Muscatt (DF/MF) - trialist - played for Alexander at Salford
Kaiyne Woolery (FW) - signed
Justin Amaluzor (FW) - signed
Luke McCormick (MF) - signed for AFC Wimbledon
Ethan Robson (MF) - signed for MK Dons (I refuse to believe this was a real link given the teams quoted as being interested were Rangers, us and MK Dons)
Louis Moult (ST) - signed for Burton Albion
Kyle Lafferty (ST) - signed for Anorthosis Famagusta - played with Alexander at Burnley
Ben Heneghan (DF) - signed by Nick Daws for AFC Wimbledon
Connor Shields (ST) - signed

Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That boy from Chelsea we were vaguely linked with has signed for AFC Wimbledon (which isn't a surprise as they seem to be an unofficial feeder club for Chelsea now https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2021/june/chelsea-boost-robbos-coaching-revolution/ )

This was the link - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/chelsea-midfielder-a-target-motherwell-24320127

For the lolz here's a list of everyone we've been even vaguely linked with or reported to have had on trial so far (I've basically lifted the names from Viva Motherwell's Twitter TL) and not including folk like Liam Kelly or Jordan "can't wait to see you in a few weeks 👀" Roberts.

Ash Taylor (DF)
Tom King (GK) - trialist
Ethan Robson (MF) - signed for MK Dons (I refuse to believe this was a real link given the teams quoted as being interested were Rangers, us and MK Dons)
Kyle Lafferty (ST) - signed for Anorthosis Famagusta - played with Alexander at Burnley

Reading the comments below KVV signing tweet and I see that Ash Taylor was one his reply guys. Coincidence? :whistle 

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

Reading the comments below KVV signing tweet and I see that Ash Taylor was one his reply guys. Coincidence? :whistle 

I’m still of the belief that Taylor would be a very solid signing.

18 minutes ago, Swello said:

They were both at Northampton at the same time (17/18). Along with Sam Foley and Chris Long funnily enough.

Spoiler

1096082864_ScreenShot2021-07-02at22_13_17.thumb.png.13e7a38cbf789f746682b4abafb6c48d.png

Edited by capt_oats

For the lolz here's a list of everyone we've been even vaguely linked with or reported to have had on trial so far (I've basically lifted the names from Viva Motherwell's Twitter TL) and not including folk like Liam Kelly or Jordan "can't wait to see you in a few weeks [emoji102]" Roberts.
Ash Taylor (DF)
Tom King (GK) - trialist
So are AFC Wimbledon becoming some sort of rivals for signings?

7 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

So are AFC Wimbledon becoming some sort of rivals for signings?

I'm not sure.

There's a certain amount of logic in us being "linked" with the same players since Daws' last job was as their Assistant Manager/HOR and had been in the role since March 2019 (in fact it was the first time in his career he's had a recruitment gig) so while the IP on his work in building a database there should remain with AFC Wimbledon he's not just going to "forget" about players he's looked at for them. 

So there's a logical argument that he'd look at what he knows. So it explains the apparent interest in Heneghan (with the added ex-player element) and the Harrison trial as he literally scouted him prior to he and Hodges getting bulleted in January (see below):

Interim Manager Mark Robinson was impressed with Shayon’s attitude and desire to prove himself back in English football after speaking with him.

“It was a signing that was in the pipeline before I got asked to be Caretaker Manager,” said Mark. “Joe called me and said there was a chance of still bringing him in. I didn’t know a lot about Shayon, but I looked at clips - not that you are going to see any negative clips of anyone - and we do need another forward option. Glyn and Nick had done their work on him before, but I wanted to speak with Shayon before we signed him. I had a long chat with him and you can only base it upon what you know, but we need more options, so we’ve signed him. He's had his first training session with us, and he seems to have a really good character, which is very important, so that’s where it stemmed from."

Link

Ultimately though Glynn Hodges and Graham Alexander are different people and AFC Wimbledon and Motherwell are different teams with different needs. So while there might be some overlap they've since replaced Daws with a new recruitment team and presumably their targets have diverged and their new "Head Coach" works completely independently of them (again, see below):

Mark Robinson is happy to not be in charge of AFC Wimbledon’s recruitment after being named the club’s new head coach.

The 55-year-old, pictured left, had been in interim charge since Glyn Hodges stepped down as manager at the end of January.

“There’s going to be a different approach from the club and it’s going to be head coach rather than a management role – which suits me,” said Robinson. “I think the club are looking at recruitment very differently and I certainly don’t want to be spending my time on the phone talking to agents and recruiting.

“I felt recruitment needed to be done differently so that we have a database. It would be more that I go to the board and say what we need and what positions we are looking for and they come up with the names. Then we do character profiling to get the right players in the building.

“Not only do I not see recruiting as my strength – I don’t see it as getting the best out of me as manager. Getting the best out of me is spending time with the players on the grass."

Link

How very modern.

Edited by capt_oats

12 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

#AnnouncePakoraStall

By the power vested in me by this thread... and more importantly the fact I know someone who occasionally gets to talk to AB (so I asked him to)... the idea of serving delicious pakoras at FP has already been suggested 

By the power vested in me by this thread... and more importantly the fact I know someone who occasionally gets to talk to AB (so I asked him to)... the idea of serving delicious pakoras at FP has already been suggested 
Just what we need. As if my arse isn't chewing buttons in the second half most games anyway.

Doku playing for Belgium last night gave definite Gboly Ariyibi vibes. A fast, tricky winger who fires shots over the stand and probably doesn't know what he's doing but still looks brilliant.

I know someone from the club must read this thread so #announcegboly.

So, at the close of last season Alexander was talking about between 7-10 players in.

As it stands we've brought in 4 with Carson pretty much away and potential interest in SOD. That'd leave a minumum 3 more + 2 replacements. Burrows is also saying to his reply guys "we still have quite a fair few to add"

1190166648_ScreenShot2021-07-03at10_46_50.thumb.png.554863b80d6a243a58698156685626df.png

As an aside, I know it's not a formation that's worked particularly well for us in recent years but is there an argument for us looking at 4231 with Watt as the #10 given he's spoken about not being particularly happy playing off the wing (but has done it for the team). We've been toying with Lawleff in that area of the park as well.

It'd also account for that rumour about interest in McPake (which I had kind of written off as nonsense given we've already got a bunch of players for wide areas per the 433 image above).

329715482_ScreenShot2021-07-03at11_00_04.thumb.png.89c8ea95a04d1dee067585ae2aaa820b.png

Also, unrelated but having seen the IG story the club posted yesterday about Donnelly being back in training....can we confirm that Woolery is, in fact, an absolute fucking unit? I mean, he's behind Donnelly here and even with the perspective still looks built.

IMG_4183.thumb.PNG.b0114e6ca6c93a666739694b70512412.PNG

#announceGboly

Edited by capt_oats

50 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Doku playing for Belgium last night gave definite Gboly Ariyibi vibes. A fast, tricky winger who fires shots over the stand and probably doesn't know what he's doing but still looks brilliant.

I know someone from the club must read this thread so #announcegboly.

He burned past about 5 folk before planting the ball into another postcode. Just like the good old days. 🥲