Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

You had me confused with that one but I live in Glasgow and then remembered everyone else is allowed to do that sort of thing.

Is he local anyway or is everyone just going to put 2 and 2 together and decide he's signing even if he's just meeting a few mates for beers?

His lass and her family are from that neck of the woods.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Is he local anyway or is everyone just going to put 2 and 2 together and decide he's signing even if he's just meeting a few mates for beers?

He's also still contracted to Bolton going by their recent squad update.

As a general conversation point, when you look at our current midfield options of O'Hara, Robbie Crawford, Maguire, Donnelly and Cornelius someone like Crawford is probably closer to the type of player we're missing than a Ross Callachan IMO. Although, he'd still be far down the list of players I'd be banging a drum for us to sign.

At the risk of cross-forum posting I noticed this on SO re: midfield/playmaker:

"Issue is the players that are effective in that role are probably the rarest of all footballers, therefore carry a premium and even more so if they can actually deliver the goods."

i mean, Nicky Law, Vigurs, Bigi, Turnbull and Polworth have all been brought in for that role over the past 10 years and had varying degrees of success. It's maybe a difficult role to recruit for well but we're not looking for a unicorn here (although in fairness, that's exactly what Turnbull was/is).

The only recent seasons I can think of where we've not had at least one of those type of players around the squad was probably Baraclough/McGhee's 15/16 season where we ended up playing that lop-sided 442 with Pearson, Lasley, Cadden, Grimmy, Jake Taylor and Morgaro Gomis as our CM options for that narrow midfield 3

You could make the argument that the 2 Cup Finals midfield of Rose, McHugh and Campbell wasn't overflowing in the creativity department but Bigi was at least still around the squad (albeit not getting into the team) and Tanner was classed as a 'forward' rather than a midfielder.

Edit: I'd completly blanked the McGhee 16/17 season. Craig Clay, Lasley, McHugh, Pearson..... Although I suppose Lee Lucas was supposed to be that creative player and he did have that one game against County.

Edited by capt_oats

Sad to see "Charlie Taxi" go but I've always wondered where that nickname comes from. Was hoping to eventually work it out but its been years now and still I've no idea.

Right and wrong answers welcome

1 minute ago, Geedub-MFC said:

Sad to see "Charlie Taxi" go but I've always wondered where that nickname comes from. Was hoping to eventually work it out but its been years now and still I've no idea.

Right and wrong answers welcome

1925841192_ScreenShot2021-06-04at11_55_23.thumb.png.78b67403951a2ec198fbef7cc3c78758.png

Just now, Ill Ray said:

Clicking the link reveals the shorts and socks and the socks are quite smart. 

Delighted to see we're back to claret shorts. White shorts can GTF IMO.

Posted (edited)

Really enjoy the Macron shirts. Never really went wrong with a design (apart from that scottish cup short but that was mainly due to the player names on the shirt).

Love the white trim on the hoop as well. Cant wait to get it!

Edited by Phillips455

Posted (edited)

Nah not for me, White piping ruins it. Will wait a few weeks see if it grows on me if not I will hang on and see what the away top looks like when they release it. The away top is usually a few weeks after the home top is it not?

Edited by Well Well