Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The basis of that was "The amount refunded will be 4/19ths of the total price you paid for your season ticket"
£130,000/4*19 = £617,500. That should give a rough idea of the shortfall assuming approx. the same number of season tickets were sold (which I believe was the case).
Our profit posted for season ended May 20 was £346k. Going from our AGM this year our books are in a good place following the Turnbull sale and our business interruption insurance (both these are mentioned in last year's accounts Section 30. Events after the reporting date).
We were also applying for the Scottish Government loan that was offered. I'd assume that's been granted as well.
As [mention=70831]dezz[/mention] says it's doubtful we'd have been doing stadium upgrades if this was going to be probematic financially. To echo [mention=17023]Swello[/mention] it's probably worth it in terms of goodwill from the fanbase and it goes some way to overcoming the issues caused by fans having fallen out of the habit of going to games on a Saturday. When you consider the financial risk of a drop in ST sales and the work you'd put in to try and get those punters back, this makes sense.
Also, as cliché as it is....even the good PR we're getting out of this has a value. You can't buy PR like this.
I was wondering if we had some sort of insurance policy but you've confirmed it. The free season tickets seem a lot more feasible with that but it's still an incredible gesture. I'm assuming not every club will have been as fortunate to have such a policy.

Did I read something about insurance policy covering ticket money or something like that?

We’re a very well run club these days so we wouldn’t be making that offer if we couldn’t afford it. Fair fucks we’re some club.

25 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Did I read something about insurance policy covering ticket money or something like that?

We’re a very well run club these days so we wouldn’t be making that offer if we couldn’t afford it. Fair fucks we’re some club.

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned at the AGM. Someone with a better memory than me might be able to remember but it was something like it protected against loss of income or some such.

Edited by capt_oats

13 hours ago, ropy said:

All that is in place but the transition to the club being run from the pages of P&B is inevitable.  Each year we will be up for election against the guys from Steelmen Online and the rollercoaster will continue.

Nice. What are the chances I get appointed manager?

12 hours ago, dezz said:

This might be of some interest if you have a spare 30 mins. It’s a BBC Scotland documentary on our fan ownership model and will give you some background stories on how and why it came into existence and plenty of further info...if you can understand the accents!

Appreciate it.

Outstanding gesture from the club. 

I imagine and hope the insurance policy will help deliver / replace some of the lost revenue from last season. 

Also as has been mentioned we appear to be in rude health financially. Turnbull transfer + some stream income plus we got 3 rounds in Europe with circa 500k Euro in prize money. Also we had staff on furlough we would normally be paying out for inc players for a little while. You would also imagine match day costs are down despite Covid preparation. It would also help if we can get the extra £120k for finishing 7th and not say 9th. Plus someone must stump up 4-600k Euro for Alan Campbell at some point shortly it would appear. 

You also hope that many will donate to club. Although I would have thought Well Society would have been an avenue rather than Community Trust. Nice touch to help out fans who would like to watch Motherwell but simply cannot afford too. 

On a separate note I ate at the Green Gate in Stirling tonight. Top notch as usual. Tried Tandoori Broccoli for the 1st time. Sounds awful but was very very tasty 😋 

6 hours ago, ropy said:

You will be on the list for next time 

First order of business will be pregame meals of curry with rice, no cheese, with the new mascot being a Velociraptor. 

5 hours ago, well fan for life said:

What's your playing style? Thoughts on paneer? Rice with a curry; aye or naw? Favourite dinosaur? 

I'm in favor favour of a high pressing team. And after watching decades of the US national team having dogshite at the back, defense defence will be a priority.

6 hours ago, welldaft said:

On a separate note I ate at the Green Gate in Stirling tonight. Top notch as usual. Tried Tandoori Broccoli for the 1st time. Sounds awful but was very very tasty 😋 

My wife has a voucher for Green Gates so we should be booking a table soon. A number of my Indian colleagues from work recommend the Chattinad although I see Tandoori Scallops are on the menu.  Were you tempted with the Paneer Pakora?

Every ST holder I know has been saying that if they were offered a free one next season they'd still pay for it so i reckon the club could have a bit of a 'bonus' of money they had budgeted to not have next year. I haven't had one for 20+years but already have the money sitting there ready to get one for me and my 2 boys regardless of what restrictions are going to be in place and I'm sure there will be plenty others who have never had or not had a ST for a long time who will be raring to get back into the stadium.

I think every club should be offering free or at least a massive discount on season tickets for next year. Fans have backed clubs when there was little or no prospect of getting into games. We should have been paid to watch the streams!

You would think that other clubs would have the same insurance etc in place that we have and could use that to help fans out.

Where burrows and co should be applauded is the refunds being offered on last years and the giving out of free tickets. That’s an amazing gesture.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

My wife has a voucher for Green Gates so we should be booking a table soon. A number of my Indian colleagues from work recommend the Chattinad although I see Tandoori Scallops are on the menu.  Were you tempted with the Paneer Pakora?

Cannot say I was tempted. I may have to give it a go based on all the comments on here but in truth I just think there are better options.  Not only that but I have a habit (bad) of eating poppadoms, spiced onions and a starter and then I am almost full by the time the main meal arrives ! 

I will restart monthly Well Society payments in lieu of season ticket + one of the other options. I had stopped paying into Well Society. I had put in a fair few £s on over the years and was entitled to quite a few benefits back in the day. The only one of which I used and was bothered about was the free parking past the main stand. However in typical MFC fashion I only found out that was withdrawn when I drove up one pre season game. It cost £60 to buy a parking pass !  I always felt they could do with a Customer relationship / liaison officer. A proper one. 

Another example is that I know a fair few people who are Centenary members. Pay over £600 a year which includes pie and programme at HT etc.  No one had been in touch with any of them during pandemic, before one contacted the club and said we don’t want special treatment but....Were I in charge I would have made sure they all had been contacted at least once and offered maybe one free meal / hospitality or something to make them feel valued etc. 

I recognise we are a small club but sometimes we act like one. I also recognise they do a great job as a small club in certain areas.  And this “free” season ticket offer is one. Getting a lot of coverage and plaudits from around the football world. 

I love my club but they could improve in a few areas. Still better than Celtic who seemingly never hear from anyone at the club in any capacity and are taken for granted.

That's the ST video done well over half a million views on Twitter already.

The Tweet itself is doing #numbers.

While it's actually nice to see the goodwill pretty much across the board, the folk who seem to be absolutely triggered by this are some laugh as well.

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That's the ST video done well over half a million views on Twitter already.

The Tweet itself is doing #numbers.

While it's actually nice to see the goodwill pretty much across the board, the folk who seem to be absolutely triggered by this are some laugh as well.

I know it's Twitter - but who could possibly be triggered by this? :lol: