Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The whole signing policy over the last year or so has been very weird.

I'm probably not saying anything new here but it does seem as though we've just asked Dec (and to a lesser extent Tony Watt) if they know of anyone they think could do a job for us. To be honest I was genuinely surprised we didn't sign Marvin Bartley as they both seem very pally with him going by social media.

43 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

The whole signing policy over the last year or so has been very weird.

I'm probably not saying anything new here but it does seem as though we've just asked Dec (and to a lesser extent Tony Watt) if they know of anyone they think could do a job for us. To be honest I was genuinely surprised we didn't sign Marvin Bartley as they both seem very pally with him going by social media.

See, I kind of had last year's signing policy as having been informed by Covid to an extent but I'm pretty sure Gallagher's "see you soon brother" comment on Jordan White's Instagram was before the Pandemic stuff broke in a major way, so who knows.

Pals of Declan feels like it's been a real thing and for all the grief Foyle's taken over on Steelmen about his role as Head of Recruitment the fact that he seems to be based around Stoke makes me think he probably didn't have much input in those names pitching up at the club. A lot of the signings felt, to me at least, like Robinson targeting players and getting recommendations.

By the time summer came around barring Toby McGinley there definitely seemed to be a shift to "local players" who knew the club and were from the area, which is a laugh when you see folk taking a dig at the club and giving it the whole "we need to stop signing lower league players from England" type patter where the f**k do they think Lamie, White, Fox, Hastie, O'Donnell or Crawford came from (Gallagher and Polworth too) .

That's not even including O'Hara and Lawleff who were signed from English clubs but were regulars in the Scottish league.

Edited by capt_oats

13 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

It’s very unlikely to happen but a Moult and Decanter partnership would be dynamite.

It sounds great in theory, but in practice I have the tremendous fear that it would be like running into a girl you used to fancy at school only to find out she's got all fat and mumsy, and all she talks about now is her kids. Some good memories are maybe best left in the past.

1 minute ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

It sounds great in theory, but in practice I have the tremendous fear that it would be like running into a girl you used to fancy at school only to find out she's got all fat and mumsy, and all she talks about now is her kids. Some good memories are maybe best left in the past.

Wonderful analogy, well played. 

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

Would not be averse to a 'friends of Declan' exodus along with our inglorious captain in a couple of weeks time to put an end to the whole sorry episode. 

Hoping our manager is of the same view, although COVID likely to still play a big part in who we can attract from down south or even further afield. 

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

Would not be averse to a 'friends of Declan' exodus along with our inglorious captain in a couple of weeks time to put an end to the whole sorry episode. 

Would not be adverse to them all turning together up at Pittodrie either.

Except the Godlike Ricki Maldini of course, naturally...😉

12 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

She knocked you back, didn’t she?

ST info out this week apparently...

Interested to see what route(s) they go with this. Thinking back to the AGM was the Business Interruption insurance claim not (partly) informing the plan?

Edited by capt_oats

I am sure they will honour the pledge to give a free season ticket to those who request one and were of course season ticket holders last season. 

After that I am not sure what direction they will take. They could say here is your free season ticket but please feel free to make a donation to the club with a reminder that a full price costs x amount. 

I met with 4 season ticket holders last week and the consensus was that we all would pay the full price. I am sure the club will be hoping that a fair % (50%+) take that option. 

On 08/05/2021 at 11:20, Doctor Manhattan said:

In turn I am sure she will tell her friends about the guy from School that she met and that she used to fancy who is now balding and has a pot belly 😛

Honestly I have no objections to anyone who wants to claim the matches back if income is a problem. A real pisser of a time for a lot of folk financially so who am I to judge?

I'll renew as usual. I'd fucking love it if they'd let folk back in for the last game of this season.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Burrows says they have some sort of offer that should appeal.

Aye, hopefully it's something broad ranging that allows everyone to buy/contribute/take up deferment as they see fit to suit their current circumstances. 

I'm fortunate enough to be in the position to pay the full price again this season, which I will happily do to help the club in a small way in these uncertain times as no one could ever have forseen a full season lock out. 

As I said the last time this conversation arose though, I would fully urge anyone whose circumstances have changed, or for whom money is a concern to not have a single thought about accepting the deferred tickets and get their arses along. You paid for a product in good faith and are rightfully due it. 

For anyone caught in the middle, take the deferred ticket and make a small donation if you can, or maybe sign up for the basic society membership. Every penny counts, but only if you can afford it. 

The suggestions around deferred tickets which are not uptaken by folk choosing to pay again being used to help people affected by the pandemic are also great shouts. Mental health and social issues are a huge concern in the area, so if there is something the club can do in this regard, a couple of hours release and escapism on a Saturday that some may otherwise be unable to afford could be a massive help. 

No matter your position or which option people choose, I just cannae wait to get my arse back to my wee seat in the Cooper. Being disappointed watching us get pumped on a shitey stream in the living room will never match actually being there to endure it with another few thousand unfortunate souls. 

15 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Honestly I have no objections to anyone who wants to claim the matches back if income is a problem. A real pisser of a time for a lot of folk financially so who am I to judge?

I'll renew as usual. I'd fucking love it if they'd let folk back in for the last game of this season.

Agreed. Who is Motherwell owned by?

On 08/05/2021 at 04:51, capt_oats said:

See, I kind of had last year's signing policy as having been informed by Covid to an extent but I'm pretty sure Gallagher's "see you soon brother" comment on Jordan White's Instagram was before the Pandemic stuff broke in a major way, so who knows.

Pals of Declan feels like it's been a real thing and for all the grief Foyle's taken over on Steelmen about his role as Head of Recruitment the fact that he seems to be based around Stoke makes me think he probably didn't have much input in those names pitching up at the club. A lot of the signings felt, to me at least, like Robinson targeting players and getting recommendations.

How much talk of paneer, naan and Indian takeaway is there on Steelmen?

18 hours ago, welldaft said:

I am sure they will honour the pledge to give a free season ticket to those who request one and were of course season ticket holders last season. 

After that I am not sure what direction they will take. They could say here is your free season ticket but please feel free to make a donation to the club with a reminder that a full price costs x amount. 

I met with 4 season ticket holders last week and the consensus was that we all would pay the full price. I am sure the club will be hoping that a fair % (50%+) take that option. 

Was it only you guys and Dundee United that made that offer? FWIW I expect that they'll do what you've suggested. 

STs will be interesting this year. The impact of Covid on the job market hasn't washed through yet and a lot of folk don't know if they'll have a job after the summer. Personally I'd be hoping that our tremendous season would be a big boost but at the same time the 2 biggest employers in the city let a lot of folk go, just for starters. 

Also not sure what the impact of all clubs having TV feeds now will be. Folk have got a lot more used to watching in the house so that might factor in as well, with people balancing the cost of club TV with STs. 

10 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Agreed. Who is Motherwell owned by?

Fan owned through The Well Society membership.

7 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

How much talk of paneer, naan and Indian takeaway is there on Steelmen?

Not nearly enough. There's also a lot of very wild takes on there. I dip my head in from time to time then remember why I don't go on much.