Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I am somewhere on the fence here.
I know Alexander has done really well with us. Nearly 50% win isn't to be scoffed at. However the way we shut up shop against a 10 man accies team and defended for half an hour was worthy of a moan.

ETA: I don't think I have done more than say we need to change it a bit as it is horrible to watch but I think the fact I am watching on a fucking laptop most weeks plays a part in that.

Edited by Busta Nut

Guest superward

Well played to GA. We can scoff all we want but his managerial counterparts didn't better him and those two wins saw us to safety.

As for the Declan Gallagher stuff, amuses me no end how bent out of shape people are about it. His two years hasn't panned out that well due to the January story etc but I find it hard to get annoyed about it tbh. He had a good first year, a middling second year, and he's off to make more money somewhere else at a rival. It's happened before and it will happen again. 

I was all for playing him to ensure we are safe as he's still our player and was, imo, still our best central defender. Now we are safe, given he will be away, I'd rather we got some permanent players (i.e. not Magloire either) in there for the last few games.

Edited by superward

34 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I am somewhere on the fence here.
I know Alexander has done really well with us. Nearly 50% win isn't to be scoffed at. However the way we shut up shop against a 10 man accies team and defended for half an hour was worthy of a moan.

ETA: I don't think I have done more than say we need to change it a bit as it is horrible to watch but I think the fact I am watching on a fucking laptop most weeks plays a part in that.

Aye, I mean, there's a pretty big difference between acknowledging that some games have been a pretty tough watch and some of the takes that have been flying around. There were some folk who seemed genuinely furious after the Accies game which is a weird vibe.

For what it's worth, my take is that Alexander's done more than enough in the short time he's been here to show that he's a competent manager and he was a good choice by the board to succeed Robinson. He's taken over a huge, underperforming squad that has clearly had a lot going on in the background and turned the results around to ensure safety - initially he had us pressing and trying to play out from the back but presumably got spooked by the Accies and St Johnstone games, recently he's clearly just had us grinding to get over the line.

I think that's the point that a lot of folk who have been losing their minds have chosen to overlook - the way he had us trying to play against Rangers when he was just in the door in January was very different to how we played against Accies last week.

The question I have, that isn't really related to style or anything like that is just generally how he sees things going forward and how that marries with what the club are trying to do. At the moment it kind of feels like he's come in and tweaked Robinson's squad a bit and managed to get a tune out them that Robinson couldn't. It's a very different thing for him to put his own stamp on things or go deep enough into this to change the culture and mentality at the club (which is something that Robinson did in the 17/18 pre-season).

22 minutes ago, superward said:

Well played to GA. We can scoff all we want but his managerial counterparts didn't better him and those two wins saw us to safety.

As for the Declan Gallagher stuff, amuses me no end how bent out of shape people are about it. I was all for playing him to ensure we are safe as he's still our player. Now we are, given he will be away, I'd rather we got some permanent players (i.e. not Magloire either) in there for the last few games.

I know I shouldn't be but I'm surprised that there are people out there who genuinely thought that he wouldn't be speaking to other clubs just now (or hasn't been for the past few months).

Edited by capt_oats

23 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, I mean, there's a pretty big difference between acknowledging that some games have been a pretty tough watch and some of the takes that have been flying around. There were some folk who seemed genuinely furious after the Accies game which is a weird vibe.

For what it's worth, my take is that Alexander's done more than enough in the short time he's been here to show that he's a competent manager and he was a good choice by the board to succeed Robinson. He's taken over a huge, underperforming squad that has clearly had a lot going on in the background and turned the results around to ensure safety - initially he had us pressing and trying to play out from the back but presumably got spooked by the Accies and St Johnstone games, recently he's clearly just had us grinding to get over the line.

I think that's the point that a lot of folk who have been losing their minds have chosen to overlook - the way he had us trying to play against Rangers when he was just in the door in January was very different to how we played against Accies last week.

The question I have, that isn't really related to style or anything like that is just generally how he sees things going forward and how that marries with what the club are trying to do. At the moment it kind of feels like he's come in and tweaked Robinson's squad a bit and managed to get a tune out them that Robinson couldn't. It's a very different thing for him to put his own stamp on things or go deep enough into this to change the culture and mentality at the club (which is something that Robinson did in the 17/18 pre-season).

I know I shouldn't be but I'm surprised that there are people out there who genuinely thought that he wouldn't be speaking to other clubs just now (or hasn't been for the past few months).

I also find the fact that we had 17 Senior players injured at one point absolutely wild, can't have been easy but we are safe. Probably the only thing that matters this season.

someone said the other day that it really has been a good season to be watching at home, missed very little. Israel and Formartine would have been great trips tbf, but that's it.

1 minute ago, Neil86 said:

I also find the fact that we had 17 Senior players injured at one point absolutely wild, can't have been easy but we are safe. Probably the only thing that matters this season.

someone said the other day that it really has been a good season to be watching at home, missed very little. Israel and Formartine would have been great trips tbf, but that's it.

100%

I see Alexander has been talking about the injuries in his press conference today.

He said: “I think the obvious reason is Covid and players missing a substantial amount of playing time. The training schedules when we first returned – I’m talking about my time in England – were very difficult to get into a normal training regime. It’s been an issue. We have to look at our own protocols.

“We have to question everything. But because the injuries have been quite widespread throughout football, I think that is the main thing. But we have to try and recruit players who can play 40-50 games in the season and that’s a big job for us in the summer.

“Sam Foley to be fair has been training and has been in the squad the last few games but the form of others has curtailed his games. Eddie was injured straight away and we haven’t even had him in training. Harry we got a few weeks from then he picked up an injury. It’s really frustrating.

“We were really up against it in January and we brought in a few players that were injured pretty much straight away. It’s been a challenge for us and when we were in those bottom three positions, we had 17 senior players out at one time. That was a challenge but the togetherness of the players got us through. But we don’t want to be in that position again.”

Link

Nice to see him acknowledge that Eddie Nolan actually exists and also wondering if there's anything to read into his comment about needing to recruit players who can play 40-50 games in the season.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

100%

I see Alexander has been talking about the injuries in his press conference today.

Nice to see him acknowledge that Eddie Nolan actually exists and also wondering if there's anything to read into his comment about needing to recruit players who can play 40-50 games in the season.

I can't be certain but I think what he means is we're going to win both cups next season. 

Train Hype GIF

So the club have turned off the socials along with every other sports team this next few days. 

I like the stance everyone is taking but I fear it's another flash in the pan thing and normal service resumes next week. (you know what I mean) 

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

However the way we shut up shop against a 10 man accies team and defended for half an hour was worthy of a moan

See tbf, I feel like we haven't managed that all season, so fair play, even if it was a crap watch.

Just now, thisGRAEME said:

See tbf, I feel like we haven't managed that all season, so fair play, even if it was a crap watch.

It's definitely been touched on in the last few pages but if we had all been in the stand watching us grind out a total shithouse of a performance we'd have been bouncing about at full time. 

Jumping about my living room myself doesn't quite have the same appeal as laughing at us playing 5 defenders and 4 holding midfielders against a shite Accies team. 

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

there is a few times where Alexander has brought on an extra defender and we held on to the points. As I said I think sittin on the laptop watching just pushes me over the edge. If I was at the Fountain Of Youth Stadium Stadium I would have loved it.