Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Who was the keeper in England years ago who almost burst the net with a penalty? the keeper was lucky not to get a hand to it, it might have broken his wrist.

The one and only Kevin ‘fat b*****d’ Pressman. One of the best penalties I’ve ever seen.

45 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Flow's saying to one of his reply guys that the plan is to replicate the murals with different eras on the Cooper and O'Donnell.

As a Cooper stand resident I'm going to create 400 burner accounts requesting it to be exclusively screen grabs from this video:

38 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

As a Cooper stand resident I'm going to create 400 burner accounts requesting it to be exclusively screen grabs from this video:

A mural exclusively for players that got better the less they actually played is pretty niche. It would basically be a 50 foot painting of Dom Thomas with Nadir and Bigi in the corner. 

3 hours ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Not sure why goalkeepers don’t take more penalties as they are involved with more dead ball situations than most players on the pitch

Don’t disagree, but I guess they don’t really practise low and accurate very much, their usual target is height and/or distance.

34 minutes ago, Swello said:

A mural exclusively for players that got better the less they actually played is pretty niche. It would basically be a 50 foot painting of Dom Thomas with Nadir and Bigi in the corner. 

They'd need to build a fucking statue of Luke Watt then. You'd have thought we were leaving Maldini on the bench.

1 hour ago, Gallus Numpty said:

Don’t disagree, but I guess they don’t really practise low and accurate very much, their usual target is height and/or distance.

Fair point...there are of course more obvious consequences of failure to put the ball in the net, given they'll be about 100 yards away from where they're supposed to be...although that's probably not much unlike our outfield players this season.

Edited by KirkySuperSub

Thinking about it, we've not done too badly out of the whole covid malarkey really. While the likes of Rangers, St Johnstone and St Mirren have had some of the best seasons in their history entirely behind closed doors, we've basically had a conveniently timed collective shrug.

Glentoran and Coleraine would have been a laugh but in reality probably would have just felt like a domestic away game with weird accents and Be'er Sheva was hardly a glamour tie. Aside from that you maybe have the 3-0 at Pittodrie, possibly Formartine away and Hibs in the cup as games I wouldn't want to have missed out on in a regular season? 

I'd still trade several limbs to be able to be back at Fir Park as soon as possible like, but we've hardly missed out on much compared to other years.

29 minutes ago, Morton Supporter said:

Hello all,

Do any of you know whether there anywhere in Glasgow that sell children’s Motherwell home kits?

If not Glasgow, is there anywhere else they can be bought in shop?

Cheers,

Pretty sure they are only sold in the club shop these days.  Half price sale on now...

https://motherwelldirect.co.uk/collections/home-kit/products/2020-21-home-short-sleeved-jersey?variant=35968989626517

9 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Thinking about it, we've not done too badly out of the whole covid malarkey really. While the likes of Rangers, St Johnstone and St Mirren have had some of the best seasons in their history entirely behind closed doors, we've basically had a conveniently timed collective shrug.

Glentoran and Coleraine would have been a laugh but in reality probably would have just felt like a domestic away game with weird accents and Be'er Sheva was hardly a glamour tie. Aside from that you maybe have the 3-0 at Pittodrie, possibly Formartine away and Hibs in the cup as games I wouldn't want to have missed out on in a regular season? 

I'd still trade several limbs to be able to be back at Fir Park as soon as possible like, but we've hardly missed out on much compared to other years.

Thinking back to this time last year you had the whole Covid uncertainty which meant that there was this existential threat to football with legitimate questions being asked about the viability of the game in general. In very real terms the priorities going into this season were a) making sure we were still a top flight club and b) making sure we were still a going concern coming out of it. For me, those are still the parameters it should be judged on.

Now we're back to folk being furious about Robbie Crawford's passing and why the manager isn't playing the 2021 versions of Dom Thomas and Luke Watt. Nature truly is healing.

Looking at the league as a whole over half have replaced their managers and beyond Rangers, St Johnstone and weirdly St Mirren who seem to be making lemonade out of their "best team in 30 years" fanbases across the board seem to have been indifferent with a collective shrug to absolutely fucking seething about their teams.

Whether that's down to the way people are engaging with games these days or not IDK but it feels to me like the reaction to a 1-0 win against Accies that confirmed safety would probably have been very different had that stand been full as it usually is compared to folk just getting raging watching a stream in their own social media centric echo chamber.

That's not to say there's not been plenty to be annoyed about from our POV but it's been a placeholder of a season and I'm kind of fine with that. As you say it doesn't feel like we've missed out on much.

51 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Whether that's down to the way people are engaging with games these days or not IDK but it feels to me like the reaction to a 1-0 win against Accies that confirmed safety would probably have been very different had that stand been full as it usually is compared to folk just getting raging watching a stream in their own social media centric echo chamber.

Agree with this.

The 1-0 Moult game there not long after Robinson took over was equally turgid but the entire away end was going mental and cheered the team off at full time.

Compare that to Wednesday night, where a lot of folk just seemed to be absolutely raging. Some of the criticism aimed at Alexander was wild, apparently he hasn’t turned our season around with enough style or panache for the liking of the footballing purists in our support. 

In normal times, fans would be singing his praises and chanting his name for the job he’s done since arriving. As it is, he seems to be the target of a lot of misplaced anger amongst our support. 

Agree with this.
The 1-0 Moult game there not long after Robinson took over was equally turgid but the entire away end was going mental and cheered the team off at full time.
Compare that to Wednesday night, where a lot of folk just seemed to be absolutely raging. Some of the criticism aimed at Alexander was wild, apparently he hasn’t turned our season around with enough style or panache for the liking of the footballing purists in our support. 
In normal times, fans would be singing his praises and chanting his name for the job he’s done since arriving. As it is, he seems to be the target of a lot of misplaced anger amongst our support. 
I really don't care how we play as long as we get results.

Alexander has set the team up in a way which can be pretty brutal to watch but has saw us grind out some much needed results. Contrast that with the start of the season when Robinson had us trying to play "the right way" which basically meant having the bulk of possession, doing nothing with it and then losing the game.

I've mentioned it before but there's a guy who sits near me in the East Stand who shouts for us to "get it up the park" whenever we pass it about a bit. When we do lump it up the park and inevitably lose it he moans that we need to "keep hold of it." I feel like he sums up a large percentage of our support (i.e. - utter fuds).

Mentioned it a few times, but broadly checked out of Motherwell this season. The vague threat of us going down had a bit of something about it but thankfully, I guess, it's now done.

Very little love for the very public nonsense that's flown around this year, and absolutely no time for watching football on telly any more, a miserable way to experience a season sitting in your living room on a Saturday. 

Quite looking forward to the excitement that new players brings, and the vague possibility of getting to a League Cup game. 

38 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I really don't care how we play as long as we get results.

Alexander has set the team up in a way which can be pretty brutal to watch but has saw us grind out some much needed results. Contrast that with the start of the season when Robinson had us trying to play "the right way" which basically meant having the bulk of possession, doing nothing with it and then losing the game.

I've mentioned it before but there's a guy who sits near me in the East Stand who shouts for us to "get it up the park" whenever we pass it about a bit. When we do lump it up the park and inevitably lose it he moans that we need to "keep hold of it." I feel like he sums up a large percentage of our support (i.e. - utter fuds).

Bang on the money.

I forced myself to look at some of the FB groups and the posts are cringe worthy even allowing for the fact that most of them are about 14.

SO is a bit more balanced but still some roasters on there too.

I think some fans forget just how bad we had become before Robbo left.