Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Can I just say I really hate the "missed opportunity" chat that comes along with someone else beating Rangers and Celtic. We're out cos we didn't beat Hibs. I almost smacks of an attitude of divine right to winning the cup.
If it was the semis and Forfar had just beat one of them to reach the final and we lost to a Hibs/Dundee utd/Livi I could ALMOST understand it being a missed opportunity.

Is it a bit disappointing to be out the cup? Yes. Did I have any real faith that this set of charlatans would see us winning a competition that we have won twice in 135 year? Absolutely fucking not. 

10 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Can I just say I really hate the "missed opportunity" chat that comes along with someone else beating Rangers and Celtic. We're out cos we didn't beat Hibs. I almost smacks of an attitude of divine right to winning the cup.
If it was the semis and Forfar had just beat one of them to reach the final and we lost to a Hibs/Dundee utd/Livi I could ALMOST understand it being a missed opportunity.

Maybe in the cup thread but I see no mention of missed opportunity in this thread / forum ? 

With the way we have been playing (even the recent wins) I gave us little chance of winning at Easter Rd. And to be fair Hibs were the better team for 80 minutes and despite how it panned out were deserved winners. I would have taken penalty kick win however. 

What is somewhat annoying is the fact this is the 1st time since 1946 or around then there has been no old firm team in either cup semi final. I suspect that is more to do with empty stadiums and not having their fans pressuring referees etc. But it is still annoying we could not be one of the teams to reach the semis. Where this comes from is that our cup record means we generally meet the Old firm in the semis or meet them in the final. Since we won in 1991 we have always played one of them in a final 🤷‍♂️

I am more annoyed at the chat around would not want to win the cup anyway with this group of charlatans. Aberdeen fans now saying the same thing. Me - I don’t care who the team are we’re we to win a cup. The only thing I would say is that it would be galling to get to a final and win and not be able to attend in person or celebrate with your pals in the pub. For that reason I am a little less bothered. 

46 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Is it a bit disappointing to be out the cup? Yes. Did I have any real faith that this set of charlatans would see us winning a competition that we have won twice in 135 year? Absolutely fucking not. 

Definitely.

I think the whole "missed opportunity" thing only really rings true in hindsight if you actually have/had a good team. The McCall era is probably a good example, that was a side that was probably good enough to win something but didn't.

I don't even mean this as a criticism of the current team; we've been in good form under Alexander, we've beaten all the confirmed semi-finalists (and the two still TBC) this season but I don't think there's been a performance this season that's made you think that this side could potentially win a cup. If you look at the 17/18 side they turned up in the Aberdeen 3-0 x2, Rangers 2-0, Hearts 2-1 games - I can't think of a performance this season that's been anywhere near those.

Ultimately, as @Busta Nut says you're looking at some Olympic level entitlement to be talking "missed opportunity" here.

Incidentally, having read some of the wild takes in the comments of Motherwell's socials some folk genuinely want to have a fucking word with themselves. Let's just say that the suggestion that the players and the management "didn't want to win the cup" is off the fucking charts. 

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Maybe in the cup thread but I see no mention of missed opportunity in this thread / forum ? 

It's mentioned every time we lose a cup game ever. "that could have been us" Maybe not in this thread but it's everywhere.  Even as far back as Stjarnan I can mind people talking about how it could have been us at the San Siro.  It's not hard to miss unfortunately and it really rips ma knittin. 

32 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Incidentally, having read some of the wild takes in the comments of Motherwell's socials some folk genuinely want to have a fucking word with themselves. Let's just say that the suggestion that the players and the management "didn't want to win the cup" is off the fucking charts. 

I'd bet hard cash that I could name those responsible for this pish. 

Ez5mT_7XEAI1-nG?format=jpg&name=large

So as far as I can see we've Maxwell, Nijholt, McLean, Sieb, Krivocapic, Valakari, Dolan, Craigan, Van der Gaag, Moult, Campbell, Murphy, Kirk, Clarkson, O'Donnell, Sutton, Turnbull, Cooper, Higdon, Coyne, Hammell, Arnott, Jutkiewicz, Lasley, McFadden...is that Hartley in there as well?

Not sure who it is bottom left of McLean between Nijholt and Krivocapic. Also, who's that just above Higdon?

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Not something to get up in arms about but feels a bit of a riddy to me to have folk like Murphy and Turnbull there given they're currently employed by teams in the same league?

Yes and no for me.

Like, if they're doing it now and planning on having it up for a while then I suppose you add them in rather than not include them, they're not going to leave a space for them and add them in once they've fucked off from their respective clubs. Having said that, they could probably have made Murphy a bit less central and shoved him out to the margins like they've done with Turnbull - on first look I missed DT.

10 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Not something to get up in arms about but feels a bit of a riddy to me to have folk like Murphy and Turnbull there given they're currently employed by teams in the same league?

Yeah, I know what you mean - it'll look a bit daft if Turnbull is pinging in 30 yarders at Fir Park next season in green and white hoops. To play devils advocate though, it's two academy graduates, one of whom is responsible for our record transfer fee, and the other is our highest goal scorer in European competitions.

The turnbull one seems a bit premature. Hopefully he goes on to great things, but at this point we're celebrating a transfer fee, which is lame. 

Overall mural looks nice though.

Edited by rowsdower

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Ez5mT_7XEAI1-nG?format=jpg&name=large

So as far as I can see we've Maxwell, Nijholt, McLean, Sieb, Krivocapic, Valakari, Dolan, Craigan, Van der Gaag, Moult, Campbell, Murphy, Kirk, Clarkson, O'Donnell, Sutton, Turnbull, Cooper, Higdon, Coyne, Hammell, Arnott, Jutkiewicz, Lasley, McFadden...is that Hartley in there as well?

Not sure who it is bottom left of McLean between Nijholt and Krivocapic. Also, who's that just above Higdon?

I'm up for crowd funding The Sean McSkimming Wall of Shite to be hung on the reverse side facing the away end. 

14 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

The turnbull one seems a bit premature. Hopefully he goes on to great things, but at this point we're celebrating a transfer fee, which is lame. 

Overall mural looks nice though.

I think the suggestion we are celebrating a transfer fee is a bit off. Not often an academy product wins the Scottish Writers young POTY award, or scores 15 goals in a season from midfield.

If we are picking it apart to that level you could question why Jutkiewicz is up there. We've had plenty of strikers who have scored 12 goals in a season for us before, so is he up there on the merits of scoring an equaliser against Hibs?

55 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yes and no for me.

Like, if they're doing it now and planning on having it up for a while then I suppose you add them in rather than not include them, they're not going to leave a space for them and add them in once they've fucked off from their respective clubs. Having said that, they could probably have made Murphy a bit less central and shoved him out to the margins like they've done with Turnbull - on first look I missed DT.

52 minutes ago, dezz said:

Yeah, I know what you mean - it'll look a bit daft if Turnbull is pinging in 30 yarders at Fir Park next season in green and white hoops. To play devils advocate though, it's two academy graduates, one of whom is responsible for our record transfer fee, and the other is our highest goal scorer in European competitions.

Yeah I'm really not massively bothered about it, but now we've done it it's pretty easy to envisage Jamie Murphy scoring a winner against us for Hibs, about 30 feet away from the Jamie Murphy Commemorative Mural.

15 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

Looks great.

What happened to the cardboard cut out fans in the East Stand seats? Have they been relocated?

Yeah, I believe it was mentioned earlier this season that they moved them either to the Copper or O'Donnell stand as they were removing the Hunter Stand seats. They did state that they would give the cut outs to the fans after the end of the season so I wonder how that's going to work out?

49 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

Looks great.

Fir Park may not be perfect, lord knows it has its flaws and idiosyncrasies, but I'm coming over all emotional looking at those pictures. I really wish I could get back in there and hurl abuse in the traditional "yer da'" fashion at some of the donkeys who've sullied the old girl this season.