Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think, seriously, only really Bobby Ancell or Joe Wark should be considered if it's to be named after a person. 

We've obviously got the Hunter, O'Donnell & Cooper stands. Is there anyone else worthy? 

I do wonder whether we'll go outside the box with it and tie up with a charity and have it named a bit differently. 

I think there’s a couple players that could have the honour. I think it would be a touch of class however if we named the Stand after a mental health charity or dedicated it to promoting mental health.  The area has had our struggles with mental health so maybe a worthy cause. I don’t know maybe not the best idea to name a stand after but it’s just my sentiment after knowing a few lads who have been struggling. 

I don't like the idea of away fans sitting in a stand named after a club legend. If it is happening I'd probably be ok with some sort of sponsorship deal at least we'd get some money out of it.

Edit: would totally be on board with doing a freebie for a mental health charity.  Great idea.

Edited by Geedub-MFC

12 minutes ago, Desp said:

I think, seriously, only really Bobby Ancell or Joe Wark should be considered if it's to be named after a person. 

We've obviously got the Hunter, O'Donnell & Cooper stands. Is there anyone else worthy? 

I do wonder whether we'll go outside the box with it and tie up with a charity and have it named a bit differently. 

I was thinking that. I might suggest Chris' House or something local

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Ian St.John perhaps... although most of his success was certainly achieved elsewhere, it was of course his transfer fee that funded the main stand, so there's that link too.

Edited by Gallus Numpty

Decanter talking about his future:

“I think we just have to wait for the club, it’s up to them, it’s nothing to do with me, I don’t make the decision, so that’s down to the club.

“In terms of being at Motherwell this is the best form I’ve been on. Obviously it has been a good last few months for myself. I think there’s still more to come but this season is coming to an end now, so I think it’s just a case of continuing this kind of form onto next year.

“This is my second time back here, it was only three or four months the last time so it has been a bit longer this time. I think I’m probably showing on the pitch that I’m a bit more settled. Results have been good, and I’ve played better football.”

Link

Alexander was on Sportsound through the week there and was saying there are still a few players in the squad we'd still like to keep. I'd have thought Cole would be one of them as even when he wasn't scoring he was still a useful player. 

Equally if we've been working through these in terms of how easily/quickly we could get a deal done he feels like one who we'd have needed 100% clarity on what league we were going to be in and what his expectations/plans are.

You could name the stand after the date of the last time we won the Scottish Cup.  I think the 2021 stand has a nice ring to it. 

I would be happy to keep Cole if a deal can be done. I also listened to the gaffer on Sportsound podcast. Good listen. Came across very well. Thankfully he did say new faces are a must to refresh the squad and he expected there to be quite a few comings and goings. Not exactly news but I think we are all of the opinion we need a decent overhaul. 

Change the name of the stand every week.

When Celtic visit its the "Helicopter Sunday" stand, when Rangers visit its the "Lee Erwin" stand, etc., etc.

George Stevenson maybe?

League Title as a player
League Cup / Scottish Cup as a manager.

Might be a bit old but with the East Stand being renamed after John Hunter then surely he must be in with a shout.

O’Hara looked terrified walking up, how did he get picked to take one? [emoji54]
He's hit them well for us this season but I've not seen a penalty look like it would be skied and subsequently so since Beckham at the Euros.