Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

Is Europe out the question?

Not if we win the cup. No.......so basically yes.....

Kudos to GA. He has done the main job asked of him. Not been pretty but I am sure Accies or County would happily have sh1tfested their way to safety. 

Lets continue to be utter garbage in beating Hibs 1-0 where they have 70% possession and 42 shots and we play a 5-5-0 formation. 

Edited by welldaft

Just now, welldaft said:

Not if we win the cup. No.......so basically yes.....

Kudos to GA. He has done the main job asked of him. Not been pretty but I am sure Accies or County would happily have sh1tfested their way to safety. 

Lets continue to be utter garbage in beating Hibs 1-0 where they have 70% possession and 42 shots. 

We need to add a central defender every new game we play, come on down Mugabi, eventually Nolan will be unveiled 

Alexander seemed to be really really scared of not picking up at least one win against Accies this season. I'm not really being critical here particularly, all the stats have underlined how good a job he's came in, and tbh I've never been massively arsed about quality/style of football- I'm generally happy as long as we're winning or at least taking a few bodies trying. 

Given we were in a situation where we had two fit strikers at the club, both were on the pitch and one was on a booking I can totally get the temptation to set up shop. I did just find it a bit funny how cautious he was as-maybe I'm wrong- I don't really imagine there'd have been much uproar from the fanbase if we'd pushed for a second and ended up conceding an equaliser?

Maybe he'd been reading Steelmen pre-match and feared for his life if we only came away with a point.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

4 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Just don't make it "a league without relegation"...  Not this season anyway, not now 😁

That's only ever done when we're bottom of the league. We just tell whichever diddy club is trying to go against the establishment to get back in their box. 

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Alexander seemed to be really really scared of not picking up at least one win against Accies this season. I'm not really being critical here particularly, all the stats have underlined how good a job he's came in, and tbh I've never been massively arsed about quality/style of football- I'm generally happy as long as we're winning or at least taking a few bodies trying. 

Given we were in a situation where we had two fit strikers at the club, both were on the pitch and one was on a booking I can totally get the temptation to set up shop. I did just find it a bit funny how cautious he was as-maybe I'm wrong- I don't really imagine there'd have been much uproar from the fanbase if we'd pushed for a second and ended up conceding an equaliser?

Maybe he'd been reading Steelmen pre-match and feared for his life if we only came away with a point.

Aye, I think fundamentally he's more on the risk-averse side of management.

Thinking back to Neville's comments when he binned Alexander from Salford he mentioned wanting to change the style of play, his last game with them he seemed to try to shut up shop at 2-0 and ended up drawing 2-2 with Tranmere, having read comments from their fans chucking on a defender to try to see out a lead seems to be a go-to move for him.

I mean, at the same time Alexander's new to the club, new to the league and I'd guess that taking a 4-1 doing off Accies probably spooked him a fair bit. Even in a broader historic sense NDP isn't somewhere that we ever seem to play well (credit to Accies for that). So again, it's not a massive surprise that all that really mattered last night was the 'W' - especially as in terms of bigger picture it allows us to crack on with season ticket stuff, contracts and pre-contracts now that's our 37th consecutive season in the top flight confirmed.

Tbh, as much as I don't really buy into the "Lanarkshire Derby" patter as a thing if we'd opened up, pushed for a 2nd and conceded an equaliser (against 10 men) then in the context of the season's results against Accies I can imagine heads detaching all over the place.

Edited by capt_oats

Watched the Sportscene highlights, and if that's the best 90 seconds they could muster then I'm definitely glad I was backshift. It's job done though I suppose as far as Alexander's remit of keeping us up goes. 

There were a few seriously meaty challenges (although I'd maybe stop shy of the red cards) , and I'm all over that shit. Most definitely up for a return to chucking hammers next season. 

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, I think fundamentally he's more on the risk-averse side of management.

Thinking back to Neville's comments when he binned Alexander from Salford he mentioned wanting to change the style of play, his last game with them he seemed to try to shut up shop at 2-0 and ended up drawing 2-2 with Tranmere, having read comments from their fans chucking on a defender to try to see out a lead seems to be a go-to move for him.

I mean, at the same time Alexander's new to the club, new to the league and I'd guess that taking a 4-1 doing off Accies probably spooked him a fair bit. Even in a broader historic sense NDP isn't somewhere that we ever seem to play well (credit to Accies for that). So again, it's not a massive surprise that all that really mattered last night was the 'W' - especially as in terms of bigger picture it allows us to crack on with season ticket stuff, contracts and pre-contracts now that's our 37th consecutive season in the top flight confirmed.

Tbh, as much as I don't really buy into the "Lanarkshire Derby" patter as a thing if we'd opened up, pushed for a 2nd and conceded an equaliser (against 10 men) then in the context of the season's results against Accies I can imagine heads detaching all over the place.

Hasn't sticking a defender on when you've got a lead to defend always been a thing, pretty much everywhere and for all time?
(And when a man says it's a ting, then it's a ting)

I think Mourinho has kind of stuffed that tactic up for everyone by doing it too early (and failing to park the bus so it actually blocks the goal), but it's a matter of finesse.  As we actually managed to close out the game without conceding it would seem a tad churlish to criticise it (I realise you're not, captain), even if it was eye-bleedingly awful for long periods in the second half.

If we had conceded then I'm sure the negative tactics would have come in for criticism, just as playing too aggressively could have) but he still had the Hastie option if we needed to conjure up a second goal, and as someone suggested during the match maybe he's being rested / wrapped in cottonwool / preserved in aspic for the cup match.  (On that note, I have to wonder if some more game time would be better, but maybe Alexander just wants him as an impact sub?)

All in all, a win's a win, we beat the Accies, job done.  Looking at it with a glass half-full attitude - the fact we were dross and still won just adds to somewhat to the revenge factor for the earlier humpings we took off them.

12 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Hasn't sticking a defender on when you've got a lead to defend always been a thing, pretty much everywhere and for all time?
(And when a man says it's a ting, then it's a ting)

It feels like the sort of thing that died off in the late 90s, early 2000s or something. I don't dislike it massively, but it just feels like a FOOTBALL MAN thing to do.

How have we gone from having about 15 forwards to having 2? When did that happen? Like when we had no right backs then suddenly had about 8.