Casagolda

Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The Accies games sum up our season and this team as a whole. With no disrespect to Accies, most teams in the league are expected to beat them. Its fine for pundits, fans etc. to think like that but becomes a serious problem when players adopt the same attitude.

I don't think it's a coincidence that in games where nothing has been expected of us we've generally given a good account of ourselves. In games against Accies, the 4-1 v Killie and the cup game against Morton we've obviously just expected to turn up and turned in some shocking performances as a result.

25 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

I mentioned this a couple weeks back, but if Well had done anything against Hamilton instead of being complete ass in those three matches it would have gone into the final match with a shot at top 6. Strange how two matches can basically change the look of the entire season.

Wednesday night will be when we finally take them to the woodshed.

2 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

I mentioned this a couple weeks back, but if Well had done anything against Hamilton instead of being complete ass in those three matches it would have gone into the final match with a shot at top 6. Strange how two matches can basically change the look of the entire season.

Aye, that's why it feels a bit weird to see people getting bent out of shape over on the other forum at the moment and talking about this as "THE WORST MOTHERWELL SIDE I CAN REMEMBER IN 30 YEARS!!!".

One of the most dislikable...sure. I'd 100% agree on one of the most underperforming but the worst in 30 years...hmmmmm.

You've got folk giving it "wE sHouLd bE cOmpETinG fOr tOp 6!!!!" - going into Game 33 we were 4 points off St Mirren in 6th. We've given Accies 9 (NINE) points this season - even if we'd held out for the 1-0s at Tannadice and whatever St Mirren's ground is these days would have put us legitimately in the Top 6 conversation.

The fact is that as mediocre a season as we've had the difference between where folk seem to be claiming we should be (challenging for Top 6) and where we were is really down to a handful of points/games.

That's not to say we've had a good season (that would be a delusional claim) but it kind of highlights the sort of fine margins you're looking at - especially as we were 11th, joint bottom on points when Alexander got the job.

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

The Accies games sum up our season and this team as a whole. With no disrespect to Accies, most teams in the league are expected to beat them. Its fine for pundits, fans etc. to think like that but becomes a serious problem when players adopt the same attitude.

I don't think it's a coincidence that in games where nothing has been expected of us we've generally given a good account of ourselves. In games against Accies, the 4-1 v Killie and the cup game against Morton we've obviously just expected to turn up and turned in some shocking performances as a result.

And this is why they're one of the most dislikable Motherwell teams of recent years.

It feels to me as if there was a hangover from finishing 3rd* last season where a group of players got far too ahead of themselves.

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, capt_oats said:

It feels to me as if there was a hangover from finishing 3rd* last season where a group of players got far too ahead of themselves.

No idea who you're on bout m9. 

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

.It feels to me as if there was a hangover from finishing 3rd* last season where a group of players got far too ahead of themselves.

I'd agree with that. Last season, Gallagher, Polworth and Long were among our most productive performers. There's a massive drop off in performances and attitude from that trio alone this season.

The only way I can think of rectifying the likeability problem is by spending whatever's left of the Turnbull money on reuniting Ciftci, Bigi and Kipre

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

Top 6 should always be the goal we apply AFTER achieveing safety. So many players seem to think we can stay up just because of previous years have faile dto look at thr likes of Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United, Hearts again, etc. They are massive clubs with great sucess but it only took one bad season to put them into trouble. Nothing should be taken for granted, absolutley nothing.

I think we will be fine next season, potentailly better with the European Super League situation happening. English Football is going to be shaken up and money is definetly going to drop. I dont think the monry in the scottish game will chnage all that much but the less spotlight on the Premier league could benefit scotland in multiple ways. I think Graham will be able to sort out the squad, especially since alot of them are due to leave anyways. Lawless has been good and Roberts is definetly someone we should be looking into for another loan or free transfer. Cole i would like to sign again now he is playing in a proper postion and we have O'Donnell who maybe will be better next sesson?

I cant wait to return to Hammerthrowers FC and be in the ground cheering for heavy tackles against our Oppoments.

10 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

The only way I can think of rectifying the likeability problem is by spending whatever's left of the Turnbull money on reuniting Ciftci, Bigi and Kipre

Imagine the fucking scenes when we're doing this every week.

Chris Cadden trying to rule the goal out automatically makes him persona non grata round these parts

15 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Imagine the fucking scenes when we're doing this every week.

No wonder we lost. At least I know how to pronounce Deimantas Petravičius now, though.

1 hour ago, Phillips455 said:

I think we will be fine next season, potentailly better with the European Super League situation happening. English Football is going to be shaken up and money is definetly going to drop.

You realise it's just a cup competition and the 6 English clubs aren't leaving the league?

There is nothing that makes me think this thread will be fun more than when I see Random Guy was the last to post. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You realise it's just a cup competition and the 6 English clubs aren't leaving the league?

The EPL is going to have to think about that though because as soon as one of these sides is out of the running for winning the league they have no incentive to oplay their strongest sides or even try very hard.

They aren't completing for European spots after all.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

they might not be given a choice...14 other clubs meeting tomorrow and UEFA seem pissed off

57 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

1257539808_ScreenShot2021-04-19at14_55_51.png.84acf62e543c688aa532b2a154e32dc4.png

giphy.gif

I would assume he'd actually need to play well rather than what we've been seeing..

15 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

There is nothing that makes me think this thread will be fun more than when I see Random Guy was the last to post. 

Bustas xExcitement when seeing an RG post: 0.99xE.

Real stats for real people.

Who would be funniest player to score the winner in a cup final for us? Eddie Nolan thunderbolt? Long scoring a screamer then heading immediately down the tunnel at full-time without collecting his medal?

If Ricki Lamie scored a last minute winner to win the cup for Motherwell, I don't think I'd ever return to a football ground ever again. 

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Grimshaw coming back from the dead to rattle in a 40 yarder. Still dreaming of the day it finally happens. If it was a last minute winner in a cup final? Absolute pandemonium 

Edited by CSmith