Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

And as always, I'll tell you it's unfair to use "assists", rather than "xA/Shot assists", because judging how creative a player is based on how good their strike partner is, is unfair.

David Wotherspoon, for example, barely gets any assists because Chris Kane can't score anywhere other than from 3 yards out.

pick the right pass then

3 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Wolecki Black is quite the snake eh

I am sure he was a cuunt the first time anaw. That may have been info that was kept quiet but I am sure there was something.

2 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I thought the Hastie training thing was aimed at other players too. Hiya Polly pal.

Aye.

I don't know if it's a conscious thing or not but given the circumstances of Alexander coming in it kind of feels like (rightly) the only focus has been getting up the table and away from the relegation spots. Elements of that interview felt like he was beginning to establish a bit more of what he expects of his players and how he views things.

As I say, it's felt like he's been walking a tightrope since he's come in where he's wanted to avoid going full Butcher at Hibs where he tells everyone they're shite but also not make it about himself in so much as "this is my philosophy". I mean clearly he's happy enough with the core of his squad because he's averaging 1.5 ppg which would see us comfortably Top 6 over a season and he's already re-signing folk.

It's just seemed more that he's aware he's been working with someone else's squad and he's avoided going out his way too much to put his own stamp on things (publicly at least - clearly Polworth has found something to take the huff with).

The fact he binned playing the ball out from the back after the St Johnstone debacle was a pretty pragmatic move and a quick switch from what he was trying to do when he was newly in the door.

Anyway, I suppose what I'm getting at is that's probably one of the first things I've read where he's been talking about his expectations of the players (beyond the usual post-match #wegoagain type chat).

What about the tactic of two men on a corner. We have actually reduced the times the ball is rolled for the other guy to cross, it was rarely successful, but is the real point to bring two of the opposition out of the box and make it less congested?

1 hour ago, ropy said:

What about the tactic of two men on a corner. We have actually reduced the times the ball is rolled for the other guy to cross, it was rarely successful, but is the real point to bring two of the opposition out of the box and make it less congested?

That's the thing I've never really understood.

Sure it takes another opposition player out of their box but it takes one of our attackers out as well so what do we really gain by doing it.

Maybe one of our tactical gurus can explain the logic behind it.

Does my head in whenever the corner goes too long and either goes for a throw on the other side or the player keeps it in but struggles to do anything productive. Would like us to try and put a man on the opposite end of where corner being taken so if it does miss everyone he is there to cross it back in.

1 hour ago, scmwell said:

Does my head in whenever the corner goes too long and either goes for a throw on the other side or the player keeps it in but struggles to do anything productive. Would like us to try and put a man on the opposite end of where corner being taken so if it does miss everyone he is there to cross it back in.

My bugbear too, get someone on the apex of the box and recycle the cross or the clearance.

I guess bringing two men out vacates more space for those in the box to run to, but it's not like we've had much joy with it. The only goal I can think that we have scored from a corner since Alexander came in was Mugabi's against Ross County, unless anyone can correct me? That was from a Jake Carroll corner before we started this routine too. 

Now being clarified by GA that there was NO contract extension trigger in Dec contract. Quite simply it is up in the summer and he will leave as we will not be able to afford him.

Watch Steelmen go into meltdown and the conspiracy theorists are left with egg on their faces 😂.

I thought it was utter BS all along, especially the feigning injury nonsense. 

19 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

pick the right pass then

I am sure he was a cuunt the first time anaw. That may have been info that was kept quiet but I am sure there was something.

Dunno what has went on this time but I remember when Wolecki Black was just a Sunday League manager and he was an absolute c**t back then too. A slimeball and completely two faced. Didn't go down well.

Unbelievable he's made a career out of football.

Edited by Ludo*1

I don't have any issues with Gallagher leaving. He signed a contract, honoured it, and will leave when it ends. He owes us nothing. 

It'll be interesting to see if he ends up in a similar situation to O'Donnell last year, however. Leaves a decent club to move onto bigger and better things, finds out there's nobody wanting him and ends up signing for someone close to his house (Dundee Utd, for example). He's barely kicked his own arse since the Serbia game, he's spend time out injured, sources close to him mouthed off in the press and he lost his Scotland place. Its doubtful he'll get any minutes at the Euros (if he even makes the squad at all) so i wonder what demand there actually will be for him. 

His big cash in time was in January, after the Scotland success, but nothing happened there. 

It's worth noting that Alexander mentions this:

"I think there was something at the start of the season that I wasn't privy to and when I came in [as manager] it was about keeping him here until the summer and having another conversation with him - and that hasn't changed."

The fact that we're midway through April and we're getting clarification on a story that ran on 4th January suggests that it's not as straightforward as "tHe dAiLy RecORd weRe mAkinG it uP. TheRe wAs nO clAuSe".

Was there a clause of some sort? Probably IMO. Did Gallagher "fake" an injury? Probably not IMO. Was he "unavailable for selection" while a compromise was sorted out? Hmmmmm.

Does it actually matter in the grand scheme of things? Probably not. Has it been a terrible look for him? Absolutely.

I have no strong opinion on Gallagher he had a great first season, mediocre 2nd and has been a truly abysmal captain. As @Desp says he owes us nothing and good luck to him when he moves on.

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The fact that we're midway through April and we're getting clarification on a story that ran on 4th January suggests that it's not as straightforward as "tHe dAiLy RecORd weRe mAkinG it uP. TheRe wAs nO clAuSe".

Was there a clause of some sort? Probably IMO. Did Gallagher "fake" an injury? Probably not IMO. Was he "unavailable for selection" while a compromise was sorted out? Hmmmmm.

Does it actually matter in the grand scheme of things? Probably not. Has it been a terrible look for him? Absolutely.

I have no strong opinion on Gallagher he had a great first season, mediocre 2nd and has been a truly abysmal captain. As @Desp says he owes us nothing and good luck to him when he moves on.

This is a very neat summing up of it. He was excellent, now he's been mince and I'd imagine when your club captain is having a howler in amongst the various rumours about what's going on behind the scenes it's probably not inspiring the rest of the team. 

But aye. Fair fucks to him if he goes somewhere for more money, but I won't be overly gutted to see the back of him. 

19 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I guess bringing two men out vacates more space for those in the box to run to, but it's not like we've had much joy with it. The only goal I can think that we have scored from a corner since Alexander came in was Mugabi's against Ross County, unless anyone can correct me? That was from a Jake Carroll corner before we started this routine too. 

Wouldn't stop us like, we've had O'Donnell launching long throws into the box for 6 months now and it's yet to achieve anything. Maybe next time tho!

Declan Gallagher took a hissy fit and the club pandered to him by changing his contract, he never faked an injury. He was just a hissy wee girl about the contract he signed.

Everyone knows it

Edited by Busta Nut

35 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I won't be overly gutted to see the back of him. 

THIS.

Posted this on SO a few weeks ago...can't say I've changed my mind at all.

There's a massive gulf here, some fans are fully supportive of Dec, nothing to see here, move along...and then there's a - (in my opinion only) - larger faction where he's been a conniving two-faced b'stard who's totally tried to work his ticket.

Said before, I haven't warmed to him at all...in fact, I'd gladly drive him to the airport to fly to Aberdeen...or Edinburgh.

Kinda bored with the debacle now to he honest.

If Gallagher wants to be here then I'm happy to have him. That said he clearly doesn't, we'll maybe struggle to find someone who can replicate his 19-20 form but we can easily find an upgrade on him this season.

Is Tom Aldred bored of living in a Covid free paradise yet?

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Was there even a gun?