Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

So, by that reckoning we have 9 to get in for next season (10 if we count the earlier keeper chat).

Campbell and Gallagher will definitely be off I’d imagine. After the whole saga, I don’t think I’d want him to be here anyway.

I think there’s a chance O’Donnell could stay but I wonder if he’ll wait till after the euros to commit in case there are any other suitors. I think it would benefit Cole’s career massively to stay, but I wouldn’t be surprised at him joining a league one team for a few hundred quid a week.

Can’t see the rest of the permanent players staying and as for loans, I can see Roberts perhaps being offered something but I’d hope that we don’t try to keep Magloire if we already have Mugabi and Lamie. I imagine Kelly will be out of our price range.

I hope among our nine new signings is someone who is captain material. 

Bit boring etc., but I'm interested to see where Campbell ends up. 

He's never really nailed a role I think (I've not seen him nearly as much as Well fans, so might be wrong), and has sort of ended up as a "jack of all trades, master of none" type at an age where he really needs to be proving himself as something.

18 months ago you were maybe thinking he could make it in the EFL Championship at quite a high level, feel like he's dropped from that level now.

Just now, Busta Nut said:

I honestly think Celtic should have signed him about two years ago and let Scott Brown take him under his wing. 

Yeah he probably needs to get a role and work on it for a year or two. 

I'm terrified we end up in a similar situation with McCann, and honestly think the best move for his career would be leaving this Summer, although picking the right EFL club to develop at seems like a minefield. Neither him or Campbell are particularly creative on the ball, but are full of energy etc., and it's kind of a niche role in the modern game these days anyway, so they'll probably have to drop back into a deeper role eventually anyway.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah he probably needs to get a role and work on it for a year or two. 

I'm terrified we end up in a similar situation with McCann, and honestly think the best move for his career would be leaving this Summer, although picking the right EFL club to develop at seems like a minefield. Neither him or Campbell are particularly creative on the ball, but are full of energy etc., and it's kind of a niche role in the modern game these days anyway, so they'll probably have to drop back into a deeper role eventually anyway.

Campbell has never been feart of getting stuck in and can be like a wee terrier at times. I am probably not gonna word this right but he isn't "creative" in the normal sense and when he kicks the baw it's often with a bit of a sclaff, that sounds a lot harsher than I meant it so I hope folk know what I mean. 
He's more about getting in yer face and making simple plays and he can be great at that. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Bit boring etc., but I'm interested to see where Campbell ends up. 

He's never really nailed a role I think (I've not seen him nearly as much as Well fans, so might be wrong), and has sort of ended up as a "jack of all trades, master of none" type at an age where he really needs to be proving himself as something.

18 months ago you were maybe thinking he could make it in the EFL Championship at quite a high level, feel like he's dropped from that level now.

On the EFL Championship point, we had cash on the table for him from an EFL Championship side in January (it's pretty common knowledge it was Millwall - sitting 10th in the league at the moment) but we kb'd it.

Reading between the lines it's one he'd have been keen on (duh!):

Alexander said: "We have turned down substantial bids for Allan Campbell in January. That was probably 10 days ago or so, and you can see in Allan's performances that nothing has changed.

"I sat down with Allan when it was happening and had really good conversations with him.

"He's a young player but he has really good experience for such a young age, and for me he represents what we want to be as a club.

"We don't want to stand in the way of people's progression and if they can achieve their goals and ambitions of playing at the highest level they can then that's great, but our first focus has to be Motherwell, it has to be that the club is the biggest thing.

"The biggest thing for us is staying in the Premiership this season.

"Without those players, those individuals and certainly Allan Campbell, our job would have been harder, so I explained my thoughts on it, the club's stance on it, and Allan's response to it has been absolutely top-notch - which I would have expected from a player of his calibre, and which will hold him in great stead for the rest of his career.

"I have no doubt that at some point we will lose Allan Campbell and he will play at a very high level because he is a very good player.

There was a story in the local press in London that they've since moved on in terms of targets but I don't think his form has dropped off that much so if there was interest there from that sort of tier club in January you'd think there would be others willing to take a punt - especially for £500k-£600k development fee.

The strong rumour that was doing the rounds last summer was Stoke having an interest - that kind of made sense with the O'Neill/Robinson connection.

I think it really depends on which club he'd end up that would dictate whether he'd have a chance of making it at that level. If they're the sort of team that play to his strengths then why not? I totally get what you're saying about not really nailing down a role per se - I agree that would probably help his development.

I've said for a while that we've never really seemed to 'market' Campbell in a way that catches the eye. I mean, even the wee clip we put out on Inside Motherwell the other week was still hitting the "first in, last out model pro" lines. Which is fine but there never really seems to have been an Allan Campbell hype train in the way there was for Turnbull, Hastie or Scott.

Like, Turnbull is a generational talent and in a way he sold himself by being fucking brilliant but I think we've kind of missed a beat by making emphasising Campbell's professionalism as his brand.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had last season completed as he was on a career best 6 goals when the league was called and there would have been a fair chance of him hitting double figures - that would have been a game changer for him IMO.

Edited by capt_oats

Is there a thread for the game today?

Anyway think we should go all out attack and get a convincing win. (Similar to Scotland v Faeroes) 

Kelly  

Bevis.     Dec.        Lamie           

SOD Crawford. Campbell.  McGinley

Roberts Cole Watt 

1 hour ago, Bigaldo said:

Is there a thread for the game today?

Anyway think we should go all out attack and get a convincing win. (Similar to Scotland v Faeroes) 

Kelly  

Bevis.     Dec.        Lamie           

SOD Crawford. Campbell.  McGinley

Roberts Cole Watt 

Yes there is a threat in the domestic cup section. Here's a direct link: