Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Some quite superb meltdowns from Coventry fans around the internet at the moment. Delicious.

Anyway, I get that it's only two signings and there's more to come but there's enough there to suggest we've changed up the sort of players we're targeting a bit. With the Bigirimana signing and the pre-season training jaunt I wonder if that's an indication that things are on a bit more of an even keel financially. Thinking back to this time last season all the transfer talk was revolving around us having offered McManus, Hammell, Lasley et al reduced terms.

54 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

BIg Gael?

Wikipedia lists him at 5ft9.

An ironic nickname. 

Anyway very pleased with that signing tbh, from what I've seen of him/can gather it looks like it could potentially be a cracking bit of business by the club. A central midfield pairing of him and McHugh should give us a real solid base to build round next season.

As for Fisher, worth a punt I suppose. Only really seen him once to be fair and he was excellent that day when he scored twice against us at Fir Park. I imagine he'll be fairly cheap coming from Inverness and with 8 goals in 9 starts last season he's surely going to be a vast improvement on Blyth/Bowman. Should hopefully be a decent option for us next season who can chip in with a few goals.

Edited by Casagolda

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Although to be fair to the guy he didn't seem to get much of a look in last season and he did have the third best goals to minutes ratio of anyone in the league last season according to SPL stats.

Was just away to post this. A good signing I think as third/fourth choice striker. Would have been happy with Saints looking at him if we didn't have Cummins and Kane to fill that role. Guys like Fisher and Brian Graham - who also has a good strike rate - aren't to be sniffed at.

Bigirimana should be a solid signing for Motherwell.  He's still young and has a good amount of experience (weird Mike Ashley related spell at Sevco notwithstanding).  Plus judging by how angry Coventry fans are he must be decent.  

The best indication of a decent signing is the jilted fans meltdown - thinking of folk like Chris Porter, loius moult and Carol McHugh when the supporters of those clubs were raging that they would sign for diddies like us....

Anyway - encouraging start. 

Robinson saying in the interview on the YouTube channel they're at advanced stages with 3 other players and they're hopeful of getting a couple in early next week.

I'd imagine that with Bigirimana coming in then that'll free Lasley up to take the assistant job?

45 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Bigirimana should be a solid signing for Motherwell.  He's still young and has a good amount of experience (weird Mike Ashley related spell at Sevco notwithstanding).  Plus judging by how angry Coventry fans are he must be decent.  

English fans get shirty when their favourites sign for a Jockland club. 

Their whole world view of Scottish football, which can be summed up with the phrase 'pub league' said with condescending dismissiveness, is suddenly exploded and the delusions that their sense of superiority rests on are blown asunder.

Lovely to see some self righteous puff for down south.

Makes room for Keith to take the reigns. Qualified and a fuckin top bloke.

Aye, he's got his pro licence and seems to want to use it. When he took the job Faddy was still talking about wanting to play (however realistic that may or may not have been) it just seemed like he took the job out of obligation because he was asked and possibly because he didn't have much else on. That's genuinely not a dig at him, it just seemed a pretty awkward fit.

Lasley at the very least seems to see himself in coaching as a career.

The only thing I would say is that Robinson's comment on the official site does kind of open the door to the possibility of someone not already at the club; "James and I have worked together over the last few months but I feel s change and something a bit different will be beneficial to the squad at this moment in time."

I'd imagine it'll be Lasley though with McManus helping Craigan out with the u20s.

In other news I notice a vague mention on Twitter linking us with Hartlepool goalkeeper Trevor Carson (for a fee). He's 29, Northern Irish and yes, he has been involved at various international levels in the past. Cards on the table though the tweet was from a complete random with no obvious association to anything.