Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I've now heard from two different sources that we're attempting to bring Craig Samson to the Rock. It's a rumour that's given me the fear, as he seemed to be at fault for a goal every week whenever I saw the highlights on Sportscene. His trademark appeared to be pushing the ball out directly to the striker's feet...

You have my deepest sympathy.

Time was definitely right for Ainsworth to move on. His time with us was very much a mixed bag in that when he applied himself he was a genuinely good player capable of doing damage to opponents but sadly more often than not he would disappear on the pitch.
His goal at Ibrox in the playoff for 3-0 was the highlight for me, a great move, a great finish and a great moment.

Same everywhere he's been sadly.

I've now heard from two different sources that we're attempting to bring Craig Samson to the Rock. It's a rumour that's given me the fear, as he seemed to be at fault for a goal every week whenever I saw the highlights on Sportscene. His trademark appeared to be pushing the ball out directly to the striker's feet...

To give a bit more rounded overview, the palming the ball out to the feet of forwards or literally dropping the ball at their feet is only one strand of the shitemare.

He steadfastly refuses to come off his line so your back 4 are effectively defending in their own 6 yard box. On the odd occasion he does come for a ball he'll invariably flap.

It's fair to say that defensively we didn't offer him much protection last season but equally it should have been apparent to the management that the defence had absolutely no faith in him long before Robinson finally dropped him. Carl McHugh looked like he was ready to murder Samson on more than one occasion.

McGhee seemed happy to have Samson go through some sort of football purgatory though. He'd pick him week in, week out regardless of how many mistakes he'd made or how low his confidence must have been: he was being ironically cheered by his own team's fans whenever he caught the ball FFS!

To his credit he did put in some decent performances and there were games where he legitimately kept the score down but he's completely defined by the number of mistakes he made.

m
As a total aside Stuart Carswell has officially re-signed for us, and he's been excellent. Immediately looked at home in the team, and played a massive role in our post-Bonnyrigg revival. As well as that I've really developed a liking to him, purely down to his hilarious run of games without a goal.

He's just in a 150 game or so dry spell in front of goal right now tbf.

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

He's just in a 150 game or so dry spell in front of goal right now tbf.

That's harsh. It's only been the 148 games. Every confidence he'll break that duck before it gets to 150 :ph34r:

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

To give a bit more rounded overview, the palming the ball out to the feet of forwards or literally dropping the ball at their feet is only one strand of the shitemare.

He steadfastly refuses to come off his line so your back 4 are effectively defending in their own 6 yard box. On the odd occasion he does come for a ball he'll invariably flap.

It's fair to say that defensively we didn't offer him much protection last season but equally it should have been apparent to the management that the defence had absolutely no faith in him long before Robinson finally dropped him. Carl McHugh looked like he was ready to murder Samson on more than one occasion.

McGhee seemed happy to have Samson go through some sort of football purgatory though. He'd pick him week in, week out regardless of how many mistakes he'd made or how low his confidence must have been: he was being ironically cheered by his own team's fans whenever he caught the ball FFS!

To his credit he did put in some decent performances and there were games where he legitimately kept the score down but he's completely defined by the number of mistakes he made.

Cheers for that. I've always thought that most goalkeepers can be stuck into one of two categories; reactive and proactive, with the best sitting in both. Samson's always struck me as more reactive, and that would add up with what your saying. Give him time to make a decision (positioning, coming out for a cross or through ball, shot from range) and he'll make a mistake, but if you fire a header at him from 5 yards and he'll probably block it.

Unfortunately it sounds a bit too Mark Brown-y. He was a guy who was totally reactive, and we seemed to concede a ridiculous amount of goals through defensive breakdowns, or crosses. Given how strong the wind can be at our ground, I must admit that the prospect of Samson dealing with cross balls in December is not something I'd imagine I'll enjoy. He was also a guy who seemed to be a Premier League regular for years based on past form (at ICT), and the fact he had a decent reputation in the game...much like Samson.

Willo Flood on our radar according to the sun.(I know)
Maybe a couple of seasons back but that's not a signing I'd be looking for.

It's already been debunked by Scott Mullen (who I'm guessing tweeted at Burrows behest). Reported interest in Spittal is also (apparently) bollocks.

1 minute ago, Swello said:

Thank christ for that - Willo flood comes nowhere near fitting the profile of players we need to sign. It's going to be a long summer.

I hope not, tbh. All the chat appears to be that Robinson has his targets and he's got them lined up and ready to go. Get the business done now and everyone can spend the rest of June in the garden wi a Solero.

I hope so, as every agent knows we need to sign a ton of players, we'll be used for "adverts" when they want to get their clients names in the paper even if there is no chance of them signing for us. And you would hope that we do have our players more or less identified as everyone knew that a clearout was on the cards...

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

Thank christ for that - Willo flood comes nowhere near fitting the profile of players we need to sign. It's going to be a long summer.

This. Glad the Spittal rumours aren't true too. Like I said earlier, genuinely wouldn't touch anyone in that Utd squad with a barge pole.

I hope not, tbh. All the chat appears to be that Robinson has his targets and he's got them lined up and ready to go. Get the business done now and everyone can spend the rest of June in the garden wi a Solero.

Aye, they've got that training camp in Ireland set up early. You'd think that Robinson would want the bulk of his signings at the club for that.
In fact he pretty much alludes to it in the bit of spiel about them going to Carlton House; “I think the time together, working hard, bonding and getting to know each other is extremely important, particularly if you’re recruiting a lot of new players."
http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/06/01/well-set-for-pre-season-in-dublin/

142 followers of that account would suggest not very credible.

Also, considering Norwich have been taken over by a German ex-Dortmund reserve boss, I doubt the Scottish market will be the first place they look.

Inside The SPFL, a 14 year old pretending to be an agent, has 16,000 followers. All he does is retweet otherwise available news, or makes stuff up.

But yeah, it's clearly shite.

13 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Disgrace, that. How dare the man rest?

#infirst

Aye - lazy bastart. He could be sorting the East Staun tannoy or putting bulbs in the scoreboard.