Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Lionel leaves on good terms - no petted lip - Classy.

LIONEL AINSWORTH has bid an emotional farewell to Motherwell and their supporters after agreeing to join Plymouth Argyle.

It was announced yesterday that a deal to extend his stay at Fir Park had been rejected leaving him free to join Derek Adams' side in Devon.

Manager Stephen Robinson had spoken about wishing to hold on to the former Derby County man, but the terms on offer were reluctantly knocked back by the Well winger.

Ainsworth was first brought to Motherwell by Stuart McCall back in 2014 after struggling to settle at over 10 clubs earlier in his career. He found home in Lanarkshire.

A fans' favourite due to some important - and spectacular strikes - it was with a heavy heart Ainsworth decided he had to move on.

Speaking exclusively to SportTimes, the 29-year-old said: "It's so hard to leave.

"I was settled there, I had my daughter there, I got engaged there. It all came about because Stuart McCall brought me in and allowed me to express myself.

"Fortunately I was able to go out and show what I could do and it was great to make the fans and the club want to keep me.

"I was really happy with that and my family were, too. We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Motherwell. The club have been great to me, the fans have been brilliant. They are the best I've ever come across. The reception they gave me throughout my time is something I'll always remember.

"I can't thank them enough. It's been absolutely amazing."

In the last year or so, Ainsworth's run in the Motherwell team became limited both under Mark McGhee then Stephen Robinson, his role often reduced to that of an impact sub from the bench.

It was a duty he performed admirably in what turned out to be his last home game at Fir Park as he scored a stunning free-kick to help see off Kilmarnock and secure Motherwell's safety.

Just as important, he also bagged a goal in each leg of the Premiership play-off two years ago to keep the Steelmen in the top flight.

"There have been a few highlights," added Ainsworth. "It's got to be staying in the Premiership and how we've managed it.

"You never want to be down there in a dog fight but if I had to choose to beat Rangers and this situation to win two games in a row, it was the right way to do it.

"I've scored a few goals for the club and everyone is special in its own way. The Hamilton goals when we played them at home and the Rangers goals will live with me for a long, long time."

In three seasons at Fir Park, Ainsworth made 138 appearances in the Scottish Premiership and cup, including the Europa League, scoring 27 goals and assisting another 29.

Yesterday a message from the Motherwell Twitter account read: "Lionel Ainsworth has informed the club he won't take up our offer & will instead join @Only1Argyle. Good luck Lionel, thanks for everything."

ETA: Always worth seeing the goals against Hamilton that he mentions in the piece:

Edited by Swello

Time was definitely right for Ainsworth to move on. His time with us was very much a mixed bag in that when he applied himself he was a genuinely good player capable of doing damage to opponents but sadly more often than not he would disappear on the pitch.

His goal at Ibrox in the playoff for 3-0 was the highlight for me, a great move, a great finish and a great moment.

"In three seasons at Fir Park, Ainsworth made 138 appearances in the Scottish Premiership and cup, including the Europa League, scoring 27 goals and assisting another 29. "

Just now, Gianfranco said:

Ash Taylor and Blair Spittal added to the could do a job list.

I'd avoid any of that Utd squad. They all looked fucking dreadful in the Accies games. Would take Taylor though, no doubt he'll have his sights set higher than us.

I'd avoid any of that Utd squad. They all looked fucking dreadful in the Accies games. Would take Taylor though, no doubt he'll have his sights set higher than us.

He's the only one from United's squad I'd go anywhere near, mainly because he's had a few decent games against us.

I'd probably take Cammy Bell as well.

142 followers of that account would suggest not very credible.

Also, considering Norwich have been taken over by a German ex-Dortmund reserve boss, I doubt the Scottish market will be the first place they look.

142 followers of that account would suggest not very credible.

Also, considering Norwich have been taken over by a German ex-Dortmund reserve boss, I doubt the Scottish market will be the first place they look.

Hey, us and Dortmund go way back, to 1996. Won them the CL and all.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Hey, us and Dortmund go way back, to 1996. Won them the CL and all.

We go back slightly longer than that - he probably saw us play Dortmund off the park in 1994 and we stuck in his mind :) My first and best European trip...

I sadly was too young for the Dortmund trip. However, I'll always be grateful to German telly for getting me a half day off Primary school for the home leg!

Hi guys, sorry to drop in uninvited.

I've now heard from two different sources that we're attempting to bring Craig Samson to the Rock. It's a rumour that's given me the fear, as he seemed to be at fault for a goal every week whenever I saw the highlights on Sportscene. His trademark appeared to be pushing the ball out directly to the striker's feet...

Please tell me this fear is unfounded, and we aren't signing a ginger Mark Brown. Please?

As a total aside Stuart Carswell has officially re-signed for us, and he's been excellent. Immediately looked at home in the team, and played a massive role in our post-Bonnyrigg revival. As well as that I've really developed a liking to him, purely down to his hilarious run of games without a goal.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

His trademark appeared to be pushing the ball out directly to the striker's feet...to him

I've absolutely nothing to add to this.
This is who you will be signing if these horrible rumours are true.

Just now, mjw said:

I've absolutely nothing to add to this.
This is who you will be signing if these horrible rumours are true.

Just now, Mr Waldo said:

Sorry mate. I cannot lie.

:(

*cuddles Stuart Carswell poster extra tight*