Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Not sure if anyone is familiar with Snappy Chapati which is a takeaway in Wishaw. Anyway, they do paneer pakora and it looks phenomenal.

Unfortunately it was my other half's turn to choose the takeaway tonight and we ended up with a Chinese.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, he didn't get sent off, concede a penalty and wasn't at fault for any of the goals...so thats something.

Tbh, I'd have thought O'Donnell would be straight back in.

If as some would have us believe that only SOD will be back for Wednesday I think there's a strong chance that Max will remain at RB ( I thought he did ok all things considered) and that SOD will replace either Baresi or Maldini ( I meanTyler or Lamie).

Other option is Mc Ginley at LCB as this according to Robbo is his preferred position.

I thought Johnston was fine tbh. Out his depth is a bit harsh. He had a couple of good bits of sweeping but probably tired towards the end which is understandable given that was probably his first 90 minutes of actual football in about a year.

The front 3 isn't working now, the midfield leaves us far too exposed. Like fucking hell the number of times we'd play the ball into Polworth, he'd play a daft ball up front and then it got lost and came straight back to us was criminal. 

When all of our players are predisposed to play the ball backwards fannying about from the six yard box will not result in progress up the park.  The lack of ability to find your man with a 10 yard pass means that playing patterns round the opposition means initiating the opposition’s next attack.

Overload the forward line and and let them compete for the long or the second ball.

If we ever regain confidence before the end of the season then try again with the pretty stuff.

I really enjoyed our short goal kicks, followed by going left to right across the back line and back before eventually hoofing it 40 yards up the park, it must have worked at least once today. Wait, no, I don't think it did.

7 hours ago, dezz said:

What’s the script with Nathan McGinley?

I know he was out last week with concussion, but whenever he makes a wee cameo appearance I think he looks miles ahead of the likes of Lamie and Magloire. I’d have him in at CB on Wednesday.

100% ^^

McGinley has looked fine any time he's played, and at least no worse than the others in there. He put in a cracker of a cross for Watt to score against someone earlier in the season, and has yet to be given his chance on the left side of a back three, which is his preferred position apparently. I think we should try doing that and see if it makes him look less sad.

6 hours ago, rowsdower said:

McGinley has looked fine any time he's played, and at least no worse than the others in there. He put in a cracker of a cross for Watt to score against someone earlier in the season, and has yet to be given his chance on the left side of a back three, which is his preferred position apparently. I think we should try doing that and see if it makes him look less sad.

If he got back in the team I would try again with the Toby Flenderson comparisons

yesterday was tough one to take after last week. Watt Cole and Kelly are still playing well Lamie mcguire and johnston were ok Carroll looked like he could be arsed. 4-3-3 isn't working GA has to play a formation that best suits what players he has available. With the mounting injuries I've no idea what that will be.

I mean, a week and a half ago we'd just kept a clean sheet against Killie, had only lost two of seven (one of which we were down to 10 men the other we could have nicked a point with the last kick of the game) and everything was coming up Milhouse.

Since then we've collapsed against Accies, failed to turn up against St Johnstone, shipped 7 goals in the process, lost half our starting XI and are seemingly back to just dishing out penalties to whoever wants them.

As others have said there's a deeply dislikable element to this squad. A mix of complacency, a wildly misplaced superiority complex and a very obvious lack of leadership.

Tbh, against my better judgement I can understand why Alexander's stuck with the 433 in so much as it was working well up until last weekend, he had been playing a largely settled XI so this is probably the first time he's had his eyes opened as to not being able to "trust" his squad given he's only been in the door 9 games and the first 7 went fairly well. If he didn't realise why Robinson chucked it when he got the job he's surely got a better idea now.

Anyway, just get this season to absolute f**k please.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, against my better judgement I can understand why Alexander's stuck with the 433 in so much as it was working well up until last weekend, 

4-3-3 hasn’t worked for the last 2 years not since we lost Gorrin !!!!! 

And before you say we finished 3rd last season with it, if the season hadn’t been curtailed we would have finished 6th … we were in total free fall 

24 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

So we were 3rd after 30 games and it hadn't been working?

Aye. And our two results before the league was called were a 4-1 win against County and a 1-1 draw at Tynecastle. Free-fall right enough.

We had a shite February, no doubt but part of that was down to selling Scott and Long being injured our while Aarons and Watt were nowhere near match fit when they arrived. 

Our league form in the 6 before the split was: LLXLWX

The two cup ties against St Mirren ended in draws.

Edited by capt_oats