Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Swello said:

This is why management must be a fucking nightmare. For a current internationalist to sell the jerseys in a manner that would embarrass a Juniors jobber is something that can't be legislated for. 

At the moment, it feels very like when Robinson took over from McGhee - the aim is to limp to the summer by whatever means necessary and then attempt to fumigate the place. It took until the Killie game very near the end of the season <insert Ainsworth_freekick.gif> for Robinson to do it and this time might not be much different.

giphy.gif

Being objective about it we were 11th - joint bottom with County when Alexander took over, we're now 9th (3 points off St Johnstone in 8th with a game in hand and 4 & 5 points clear of Killie and Accies in 10th and 11th respectively) after a run of fixtures that's included Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen and one where 6 of the 8 games have been away from home.

If you'd looked at the run of fixtures we had coming up when he took over then even taking Saturday's doing into account we're probably on or within a couple of points of the total we'd have expected/hoped to take. In fact for some of a certain anxious disposition we may have taken more points than they'd expected

Where I'm hitting my 'I'm mad as hell and not going to take it any more' peak is, Saturday was a fixture where a win would have taken us above St Johnstone and to all intents and purposes would have opened a decent gap between us and the bottom 3.

Instead, predictably, despite having had our arses handed to us by Accies more than once over the past few seasons we seemingly rolled up off the back of a good win and solid defensive performance against Killie with a "lads, it's Accies LOL"-type attitude and fully got what we deserved (again).

Edited by capt_oats

I said it on the match thread - but this is literally the only fixture where we are perpetual favourites and we deal spectacularly badly with it (and it's spanned multiple managers and 'Well teams of various quality).

I naively thought that the embarrassing humbling before this one would have helped with our motivation and attitude on Saturday - but it clearly didn't matter. We'll make the usual we go again/righting the wrongs/putting it right motions, play better on Saturday and we'll have forgotten all about it by the time we walk out at NDP in a few weeks time.

21 minutes ago, Swello said:

I said it on the match thread - but this is literally the only fixture where we are perpetual favourites and we deal spectacularly badly with it (and it's spanned multiple managers and 'Well teams of various quality).

I naively thought that the embarrassing humbling before this one would have helped with our motivation and attitude on Saturday - but it clearly didn't matter. We'll make the usual we go again/righting the wrongs/putting it right motions, play better on Saturday and we'll have forgotten all about it by the time we walk out at NDP in a few weeks time.

I don't think there's a fixture I go in to with less confidence than any game against Accies. They could be total dug meat for weeks. Barely kicked a ball. Then they turn up against us and look like Hansi Flick's Bayern Munich. It's quite incredible. 

Anyway. Looking forward to seeing exactly how we'll shit the bed next time we play them. 

31 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Anyway. Looking forward to seeing exactly how we'll shit the bed next time we play them. 

This is kind of my concern at the moment. Our very fragile confidence looked absolutely shattered by their early goal at the weekend, and if it sends us into a spiral over a couple of weeks until any of our new signings reach fitness, then turning up in Hamilton to play them and needing a result? Nah, not chance.

23 hours ago, ropy said:

Dec isn’t mentioned in the suspension list published for 28th Jan (Polworth is) or 4th Feb which is why I was querying the no. of yellow threshold.

No Motherwell players on the suspension list from 11th Feb which was last Thursday, looks like we are exempt.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

This is kind of my concern at the moment. Our very fragile confidence looked absolutely shattered by their early goal at the weekend, and if it sends us into a spiral over a couple of weeks until any of our new signings reach fitness, then turning up in Hamilton to play them and needing a result? Nah, not chance.

I suppose the flip of that is that they generally reacted after the 3-0 bodying by Accies with the two draws against St Mirren and Rangers (albeit the "new manager bounce" maybe comes into play there). That said The Downward Spiral is definitely a concern, which I suppose is why Alexander held off from publicly tearing strips off them.

I genuinely think they just don't have a fucking clue how to play Accies tbh.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I genuinely think they just don't have a fucking clue how to play Accies tbh.

It's probably one of the only fixtures of the season where we are assumed to be the favourite and have a lot of the ball to create chances. And we're shite at that.

Stink the place out by defending and score on the break, yes. Use possession to take a hold of the game and pick a team off, absolutely not.

I'm honestly at the stage where this pish is making me consider my well society and season ticket for next year.

A bunch of utter utter shite posted by the clubs social media purely for engagement and clicks.

An absolute embarrassment.

I used to love the Twitter updates of the under 20s games whilst I went to Ayr college to resit English on Tuesday nights around the time we won the youth cup. It made every single game sound like one of the best games in the world. I’d always have over 2.5 goals on and check it regularly. We don’t even get proper highlights anymore.

I know this was discussed on here about a year ago but the “positive” messages being rammed down our throats constantly can get so far to f**k. Just get back to things that made it popular with fans in the first place.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

"Less talking, more action to show what we're really about." 

tenor (8).gif

Gruesome is the only word I can use.

I am sure when they came up with this idea / strategy they probably thought we would be winning more games. 

But Christ on a bike. The collective Well support would have been raging at HT on Saturday and for most like me it will take longer than a couple of days. We were embarrassing for the first half. No excuses.

They should put a tin lid on it. If they don’t then I am not surprised by the negative reactions. Tbf not as bad as I thought they may be YET. 

Edited by welldaft

Again it's what we all were fucked off with at the end of last year. Like it's a bit of a riddy trying to put a positive spin after such a totally stinking performance.

Like I mind Hibs after getting beaten in the derby last season. Radio silence until the next game. Which, imo, is the correct response. 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

The way I look at it there is an 8 year old out there with hope in his heart delighted that his heroes(?) are going to ‘go again’.

Having grown up watching footballing ICON Jim Paterson I feel sorry for weans that have to watch Ricki Lamie.

Fully serious here. Jim Paterson is an absolute hero.

3 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I used to love the Twitter updates of the under 20s games whilst I went to Ayr college to resit English on Tuesday nights around the time we won the youth cup. It made every single game sound like one of the best games in the world. I’d always have over 2.5 goals on and check it regularly. We don’t even get proper highlights anymore.

I know this was discussed on here about a year ago but the “positive” messages being rammed down our throats constantly can get so far to f**k. Just get back to things that made it popular with fans in the first place.

Interesting reading this about your Social Media Department.

Over the river when the brown stuff hits the fan(Stranraer and Annan especially),our one man and his camera shut up shop completely with very little output.

After Stranraer away there wasn't even a Post Match interview by Rice as they knew the comments would have been poisonous.

It is a bugbear of ours that we rarely get told anything like injuries etc although a part of me perceives this as the club going into hibernation when it is  not going swimmingly.

You guys seem to be the complete opposite which will anger some fans when your team has bad results.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with our output after a hammering if it was maybe just an interview with the manager where he was showing some anger or something.

Throwing the camera in Mark O'Hara's face at FT is fucking miles out and I thought they'd stopped that after the last horrible run.

The latest post of a 25 second vid with the caption "less talking, more action to show what we're really about" as mentioned above it boke inducing. 

They still have "We exist to improve people's lives." as the fuckin bio ffs.

7 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Interesting reading this about your Social Media Department.

Over the river when the brown stuff hits the fan(Stranraer and Annan especially),our one man and his camera shut up shop completely with very little output.

After Stranraer away there wasn't even a Post Match interview by Rice as they knew the comments would have been poisonous.

It is a bugbear of ours that we rarely get told anything like injuries etc although a part of me perceives this as the club going into hibernation when it is  not going swimmingly.

You guys seem to be the complete opposite which will anger some fans when your team has bad results.

I think there's a balance here, though. Like obviously supporting Motherwell is going to have its ups & downs (mainly downs this season) so you can't have the output being how shit hot we are. But there's also a point where, after what is probably our absolutely worst performance of the season, they should probably just switch off their phones for a few days to let the dust settle. 

By all means show us some wanky video of a nice goal we've scored after a win. But see when we've been leathered by Accies, had our most experienced player sell the jerseys for 2 goals before getting sent off for a fucking stupid foul and been totally shite for 90 minutes? How about not putting out some slow motion fluff piece "showing what we're really about". We're no stupid.

This is exactly what we were all on about when it feels like our socials are only a kick in the arse away from putting out some "live, laugh, love" content. 

It almost feels these days as if the social media channels for MFC are a separate entity to the actual football team, as opposed to it being set-up to run alongside the team.

Basically, the folks who work in the social media side at Fir Park will have SLA's like the rest of us do in our workplaces.  They'll be targeted to get numbers every week/month/year, whether the actual football team wins 4-1 or loses 4-1.  It appears from the outside that the social media side doesn't actually give a f**k about the team anymore.  Do they even support MFC?  I know previously not all of them did, but I wonder if there's any of them left that do?

The Twitter used to be decent, with the matchday posters and the play-by-play updates on each game were great.  The fact the top media guy at the club came out and said the reporting of the game, while it was going on, didn't get the "required engagement", so they sacked it off, speaks volumes.  A football club Twitter account no longer reports on the team playing football.  

Once the Peter Hartley & Charles Dunne videos went viral, the media department obviously took that as a sign they should go all influencer on us, as opposed to being a football team's social media account. 

That's just my view, though.  I'm in my mid-30s so the social media stuff isn't really aimed at me anyway.  I'm sure there's thousands of teenagers and 20-something Goggsy-like VL's absolutely lapping it up and liking away until their hearts are content.  It's not for me, and why I switched off from it a long time ago.