Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Watched the Alba highlights and given the circumstances and what actually happened it seems a clumsy dig.

Having said that, since 19th March 2016 we've only won one league game after going behind (vs Killie in his first game in charge) so there's a legitimate question about the squad's mentality that should be addressed. You could argue that Robinson's predecessor perpetuated it with his habit of just brushing off losses with a very public shrug. In a way that feeds directly into the point Robinson makes about it being too easy to lose games.

Tbh given his post-match comments today and what he was saying during the week it seems pretty obvious to me that he's laying the groundwork for a pretty extensive player cull.

Weird comment from Robinson, weird thing to read too much into. This was shite, let's not do it again.

Here's a what if for you; what if bowman had taken that penalty against accies for our fourth, like he, and Moult, wanted? Confidence boost, trust builder, or another pointless goal for him?

Here's a what if for you; what if bowman had taken that penalty against accies for our fourth, like he, and Moult, wanted? Confidence boost, trust builder, or another pointless goal for him?

I said that very thing over on SO yesterday. For me, it would have changed his whole season to get off the mark on his first home game. To me, he seems to have been playing without much confidence. Very much a player who took nearly six months to get his first goal for his new club.

I think a goalscoring start to the League Cup next season and we could have a totally different player on our hands.

Aye, in hindsight Bowman not taking that pen against Accies seems like it could have very much been a "sliding doors" moment.

Plays well, linked well with Moult for the opener, wins the pen. If he takes that, and scores, he's got a monkey off his back on his home debut and gives him a bit of confidence going forward.

As it turns out, he was pretty much binned from the starting line-up 4 games later.

I remember saying many years ago, on the predecessor of Steelmen Online, that Scott McDonald was a good player but he couldn't score goals.  This season he became our highest goalscorer in the Premier League era.

However, I just don't think Bowman is very good and a penalty goal here or there wouldn't have made much difference. It's not even a question of goals.  Watch McDonald or Moult in general play and they are just much, much better players.  Movement, positioning, awareness etc.

Bowman, at best, will be workhorse.....with the emphasis on horse.

17 hours ago, Fifespud said:

See you next year lads. I'm really glad you stayed up too. Cheers.

Nothing to do with the 10 points you took of us this season of course :-) 

Anyway your sentiments are appreciated. 

Ya Bezzer! makes a good point re: Moult & McDonald, ultimately those two work together and play well as a partnership. Even if Bowman had scored a couple early on it's unlikely he'd have been getting picked ahead of either of them however it may well have given him a bit more confidence and the manager may have shown a bit more trust.

As it turned out he just disappeared from the starting line up and ended up thrown on with 10 mins to go for us to lump the ball long if we were trying to salvage a game.

I'm not sure how helpful it was to have McGhee taking a dig at him publicly either. The intention would have been to challenge him to up his levels but he did the same with Laing, Kennedy and Ainsworth and the result in each case simply seemed to be the player being alienated.

Am I right in saying we tried to sign Frear in August and went for Bowman after that fell through? Would have made a massive difference to the first half of our season imo.

I'm not sure that's the case. IIRC we had Frear lined up to replace Johnson but due to that deal going through at the last minute the Frear transfer couldn't be done in time.

Bowman was someone else we had been looking at, we had him up at the Celtic pumping on the last day of last season.

I don't think it was an either/or between Bowman and Frear tbh. Just one deal could be done in time, the other couldn't.

• Casagolda changed the title to Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Changed the thread title cause I couldn't be arsed starting a new one.

Anyway, looks like the clear out has begun - Link

Andy Devlin's usually pretty good with Motherwell stuff and it appears Samson, Jules, Chalmers, Lucas, Pearson will all be away as well as McDonald. Also trying to punt Blyth and Bowman and offering a coaching role to Lasley. Possibly more to follow as well you'd imagine.

Can't see too many disagreeing with the above list and I could probably think of a few more to add to it to be honest.

Edited by Casagolda

I'm quite enjoying Robinson's scorched earth approach here. Can't argue with any of those tbh though Zak Jules returning to his parent club (welcome news as it is) is hardly Robinson wielding an axe, it's simply a loan deal expiring. 

Taking a quick look at this time last year the club made their squad update announcement the day after the season ended so who knows, we might hear something concrete today. http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2016/05/16/squad-update-may-2016/

I'd have thought our best option for moving Bowman and Blyth on would be to see if someone will take them on loan in the same way Notts County did with Laing.

Edit: totally fine with Lasley sticking around as a coach as well. He and Craigan have been doing a stellar job with the 20s so if we're able to retain him in a way that suits both parties then can't really argue there.

Edited by capt_oats

And there it is http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/05/22/squad-update-may-2017/

The following players are in discussions with the club with a view to extending their deal:

• Lionel Ainsworth
  • Russell Griffiths
  • Keith Lasley

—— (Under 20s)

• Barry Maguire
  • Dylan Falconer
  • Shea Gordon
  • Peter Morrison
  • Adam Livingstone

The following players will leave the club when their contract expires at the end of the month:

• Craig Samson
  • Joe Chalmers
  • Lee Lucas
  • Zak Jules (loan end)
  • Craig Moore
  • David Ferguson
  • Stephen Pearson
  • Scott McDonald *

—— (Under 20s)

• Dylan Mackin
  • Tom Fry
  • Jordan Pettigrew

*Scott McDonald has notified the club he does not intend to take up his contractual option for season 2017/18 and will leave the club.

I've accepted that we'll lose McDonald and Moult and so I can't think of anything that would be announced in the end of season clear-out that would cause me any worry (unless Moult's departure doesn't happen until late august)*. There is danger and opportunity in completely emptying the squad in one go but we are undoubtedly at the point where a fairly drastic change is required.  On one hand, we get the chance to change the character of the team, lower the average age, reduce our reliance on ex-players making a return, etc. On the other hand, our recruitment recently has contained a lot of "miss" in return for the "hits" and if we don't really up our game this summer, we could struggle worse than this season. 

I'm intrigued about the early signings mentioned in Andy Devlin's piece....

ETA - and the clear out arrives just as I posted it and it looks sensible to me...

Edited by Swello