Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I don't really think Campbell is good enough for a Championship team to give us £500k+ this summer tbh. As much as he's dropped off this year it's not an entirely new thing, he's gone missing for weeks at a time in the last few seasons as well.

I do like him a lot but I think he's actually at about the same level as Donnelly, Polworth and O'Hara- decent midtable midfielders that will maybe be able to do it at a slightly higher level than us but are too limited to really go any higher than that.

I don't really think Campbell is good enough for a Championship team to give us £500k+ this summer tbh. As much as he's dropped off this year it's not an entirely new thing, he's gone missing for weeks at a time in the last few seasons as well.
I do like him a lot but I think he's actually at about the same level as Donnelly, Polworth and O'Hara- decent midtable midfielders that will maybe be able to do it at a slightly higher level than us but are too limited to really go any higher than that.
That's always been my thoughts on Campbell as well. I could see him going to a bottom end English Championship club then being back up the road at the likes of Hibs or Aberdeen within a couple of years.

19 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
40 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

That's always been my thoughts on Campbell as well. I could see him going to a bottom end English Championship club then being back up the road at the likes of Hibs or Aberdeen within a couple of years.

Yeah. Hopefully he doesn't feel compelled to play a few games for the Central Ohio Money Launderers Columbus Crew first though.

49 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think that's a bit harsh on Campbell in the sense that for all I agree there are games he's gone missing in the last few seasons there's generally been some context eg: the season he played straight through the summer with Scotland u21s at the Toulon tournament he hit a point with us where he just looked knackered. This season he's been asked to carry the midfield. Given his style of play it's not a huge surprise if we end up seeing signs of burnout.

Also, I wonder how much Donnelly missing has had an impact on Campbell's form. Looking at last season for example he had 6 goals by the time the season was called and he looked like he was developing that knack of breaking into the box and getting beyond the forwards - take the security of Donnelly away and (with respect to both) replace with either Mark O'Hara or Robbie Crawford and I'm not really sure he can play the same game.

Really the only goal he's scored this season like that was the 2nd against Livi - his only other goal this season was the one against St Johnstone where he picked the ball up far deeper.

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

I'd love for us to get another year out of Campbell. He's going through a slump in form right now, but with the amount of games he's had that's inevitable. Teams are learning how to deal with him too. However, I imagine there is no shortage of clubs looking at him that can multiply what he's getting paid at us, and the change of scenery may be just what he needs for his development. As such, I'm looking forward to us getting screwed out of our development fee again. 

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

It was different, less "unprecedented times" but the club have already been in that position when Celtic chapped us up for Carson after Gordon picked up his injury.

Whether you believe we'd accepted the offer but couldn't get someone in (Woodman?) or whether we kb'd it because it was too late in the day, either way I'd like to think we'd be holding the same approach.

By my count, all in from the first team squad (as it stands at the moment, minus the injured goalkeepers as they won't fit on the line up) this is how it balances out:

820882223_ScreenShot2021-01-31at14_32_52.png.f202d6df3ad7d1ebe634e4b4ffc3dc98.png

Fwiw: assuming there are no key outgoings then we're still short a creative player and I'm not entirely convinced we don't need another centre back.

A post on Steelmen quoting Flow as saying we are trying to do some business before the window closes.

Another saying signings are imminent but reckons the calibre May be called into Q.  Never ever.

Even if it was Messi someone on SO would call him over the hill and past his best 😉

8 minutes ago, welldaft said:

A post on Steelmen quoting Flow as saying we are trying to do some business before the window closes.

Another saying signings are imminent but reckons the calibre May be called into Q.  Never ever.

Even if it was Messi someone on SO would call him over the hill and past his best 😉

I had a dip into Steelmen earlier for the first time in a while and in a way it's comforting to see it hasn't changed. It still melts my brain though.

I'd imagine this would be the quote from the bold Flow:

As I said the other day, I'd imagine we're in a place where we're not going to be making the sort of 'marquee' signings that some folk over there seem to expect (though I've genuinely no idea what they do expect).

Edited by capt_oats

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I had a dip into Steelmen earlier for the first time in a while and in a way it's comforting to see it hasn't changed. It still melts my brain though.

I'd imagine this would be the quote from the bold Flow:

As I said the other day, I'd imagine we're in a place where we're not going to be making the sort of 'marquee' signings that some folk over there seem to expect (though I've genuinely no idea what they do expect).

Stephen O'Donnell to be hung, drawn and quartered for going on Sportscene seems to be a big one

James Scott hasn’t been a regular for Hull. I wonder if he’d fancy a loan spell back home for a few months? This isn’t even a rumour btw I just wanted an excuse to post the picture of him on the horse again, a year to the day after he left.

IMG_7440.jpg

1 minute ago, Gianfranco said:

James Scott hasn’t been a regular for Hull. I wonder if he’d fancy a loan spell back home for a few months? This isn’t even a rumour btw I just wanted an excuse to post the picture of him on the horse again, a year to the day after he left.

IMG_7440.jpg

That photo man...Robinson in the background.

:lol:

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I think that's a bit harsh on Campbell in the sense that for all I agree there are games he's gone missing in the last few seasons there's generally been some context eg: the season he played straight through the summer with Scotland u21s at the Toulon tournament he hit a point with us where he just looked knackered. This season he's been asked to carry the midfield. Given his style of play it's not a huge surprise if we end up seeing signs of burnout.

Also, I wonder how much Donnelly missing has had an impact on Campbell's form. Looking at last season for example he had 6 goals by the time the season was called and he looked like he was developing that knack of breaking into the box and getting beyond the forwards - take the security of Donnelly away and (with respect to both) replace with either Mark O'Hara or Robbie Crawford and I'm not really sure he can play the same game.

Really the only goal he's scored this season like that was the 2nd against Livi - his only other goal this season was the one against St Johnstone where he picked the ball up far deeper.

giphy.gif

I think there's a Ricki Lamie special in there :D Misses the ball completely 

29 minutes ago, welldaft said:

The place is full of rockets...I've heard that we will be bringing a player in but I have no clue who it is, what position it's for, or what level of ability the player has...I just know that someone on SO will be raging for no apparent reason

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

It really is awful, just puts me in a bad mood reading the same shite from the usual suspects. It used to be my main forum for news but this thread has taken first place now. Hope you'll have me. 

5 minutes ago, mwellhighland said:

It really is awful, just puts me in a bad mood reading the same shite from the usual suspects. It used to be my main forum for news but this thread has taken first place now. Hope you'll have me. 

Any food tips?

8 minutes ago, mwellhighland said:

tbf there's  a dozen or so really good  posters on SO  who have well balanced views  I regularly converse with. The others I tend to ignore but respect their right to post what they think even if I think they're talking pish. That's what forums are all about. 

9 minutes ago, ropy said:

Any food tips?

king prawn makhani is decent

2 minutes ago, santheman said:

tbf there's  a dozen or so really good  posters on SO  who have well balanced views  I regularly converse with. The others I tend to ignore but respect their right to post what they think even if I think they're talking pish. That's what forums are all about. 

Absolutely, but calling players c***s and the general foaming at the mouth is something I won't miss. 

P&B seem a great bunch of lads

Ted.jpg.904c1bff53fcf261b084cc30b082fe2e.jpg