Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I am going to go for paneer for next weekend’s curry, an extra dish as I am still unsure.   But if anyone is drifting through Bannockburn take a shot of the Yung Kee’s Salt and Pepper Chilli King Prawns, can’t describe how good they are.  There are some MSG items I would avoid on the menu but if you choose wisely it’s not bad.

Guest superward

Any of the ITK lads care to share where Sherwin is off to then? Think most saw the rumours a few weeks back about Stoke but there's been nowt since and he's got his game a couple times so I kinda thought we might be stuck with him...

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Presumably SOD has to sign something to play on Wednesday.  Would he leave it for a couple of weeks to take his chances?

Someone said a while back, he's got a year deal, but if an offer comes we'll let him go, was the understanding, I think.

For him and the bold Declan, presumably any move is a massive risk, unless you know 100% you're going to be playing week in, week out til the Euro party starts?

8 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Someone said a while back, he's got a year deal, but if an offer comes we'll let him go, was the understanding, I think.

For him and the bold Declan, presumably any move is a massive risk, unless you know 100% you're going to be playing week in, week out til the Euro party starts?

It was the bold @Busta Nut I think.

The wording of the original news story says the deal is until January but has an option to extend. So it could easily be a version of that I guess.

Stephen O’Donnell has joined Motherwell.

The Scotland international full-back was most recently with Kilmarnock, where he played 122 times and was further recognised with 11 national team caps.

The 28-year-old has signed on a short-term deal until the next transfer window

O’Donnell’s contract has the option to extend the deal until the end of the season. He joins subject to Scottish FA clearance.

Link

Semantics like.

Edited by capt_oats

Certainly suggests he's not about to get shipped out and hopefully Alexander will be able to get some performances out of him as he was instrumental in our equaliser on Wednesday.

I'm afraid I have absolutely no insight into transfer dealings but did have a very nice chicken jalandhri from the Killermont Polo Club on Maryhill Road.

4 hours ago, superward said:

Any of the ITK lads care to share where Sherwin is off to then? Think most saw the rumours a few weeks back about Stoke but there's been nowt since and he's got his game a couple times so I kinda thought we might be stuck with him...

Realessed possibly unless someone takes him 

19 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Realessed possibly unless someone takes him 

I'm assuming we can't just outright release him since he's on a 2 year deal. I am in no way #ITK but if he is leaving it'll be similar to Jordan White in that we're just offloading his wage onto someone else.  

3 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I'm assuming we can't just outright release him since he's on a 2 year deal. I am in no way #ITK but if he is leaving it'll be similar to Jordan White in that we're just offloading his wage onto someone else.  

Most likely what happens with everyone we sign from other clubs on a “free” like lawless for example.

10 hours ago, well fan for life said:

It's not something that we do regularly but I think the general approach would be a mutual consent to allow the player to find a club outside the window.

IIRC Laing and Kennedy ended up with that sort of situation. Although Kennedy was effectively released (in March) well after the window closed but ended up signing for AFC Fylde where the 'window' didn't apply.

Laing was released 31st January but didn't sign for ICT until 16th February.

I've no idea of the actual mechanics of that but I'd guess there's a partial lump sum payment of the remainder of the contract that's beneficial for the club and also allows the player to f**k off and do whatever they want.

Looking at the squad in general there are still a few question marks eg: O'Donnell's option, Crawford's loan expiry, Charlie Dunne's deal being up.

I've been trying to get a handle on what Alexander's approach to the squad is in so much as in one of his earlier interviews he was saying he felt it was a big squad and his preference was to have tighter numbers that meant there was more involvement. Having read Alexander's comment about White being moved on it sounded like he had basically told him that he wouldn't be playing much:

Alexander said: “We’ve been discussing it with them with us bringing in Harry Smith last week. We won’t keep players if they won’t get an opportunity to play."

Link

His line about wanting to keep our better players at the club just now was a slight and subtle change to the "we're a selling club, we won't stand in a player's way" narrative.

The implication there is "we're just looking to get rid of the dross tbqhwy". Which is nice.

Edited by capt_oats

Well 36 hours before the window closes.  How much movement if any will we see ?

I would be surprised if no one thought SOD was a decent option at right back. A starting Scotland international. Whilst he has not been a revelation as such he has been a 6 out of 10 and is quite forward thinking. He would be a loss to us. 

Anyone who thinks Gallacher would not be a better bet than £80k per week Duffy needs there heads checked. The Celtic support seem split on this one. Too old and not a glamorous name such as £5m Barkas or £5m Ajeti which have worked out well. 

Then you have Campbell who was supposedly linked to Millwall but has all gone quiet.

I am not sure anyone will leave other than those not getting a game. I certainly hope the club have players lined up as replacements. Last thing we would need is a bid for Gallacher for example a few hours before the window closes. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

I would be surprised if no one thought SOD was a decent option at right back. A starting Scotland international. Whilst he has not been a revelation as such he has been a 6 out of 10 and is quite forward thinking. He would be a loss to us. 

Anyone who thinks Gallacher would not be a better bet than £80k per week Duffy needs there heads checked. The Celtic support seem split on this one. Too old and not a glamorous name such as £5m Barkas or £5m Ajeti which have worked out well. 

Then you have Campbell who was supposedly linked to Millwall but has all gone quiet.

I am not sure anyone will leave other than those not getting a game. I certainly hope the club have players lined up as replacements. Last thing we would need is a bid for Gallacher for example a few hours before the window closes. 

It was different, less "unprecedented times" but the club have already been in that position when Celtic chapped us up for Carson after Gordon picked up his injury.

Whether you believe we'd accepted the offer but couldn't get someone in (Woodman?) or whether we kb'd it because it was too late in the day, either way I'd like to think we'd be holding the same approach.

By my count, all in from the first team squad (as it stands at the moment, minus the injured goalkeepers as they won't fit on the line up) this is how it balances out:

820882223_ScreenShot2021-01-31at14_32_52.png.f202d6df3ad7d1ebe634e4b4ffc3dc98.png

Fwiw: assuming there are no key outgoings then we're still short a creative player and I'm not entirely convinced we don't need another centre back.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

I think Millwall have signed/close to signing a CM from down South.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think Millwall have signed/close to signing a CM from down South.

If any prospective buyers have been watching Campbell these past few weeks then it would come as no shock. His form has dipped considerably since the early part of the season.  Not sure what is going on. Played too many games perhaps. 

Every week I am waiting for wee Al to turn a corner and yet he has little influence on the game or certainly no where near his impact early on and what he is clearly capable of.  Without harping on about it - the build up to the Ross County goal is him controlling a decent pass for the RC defender to easily take the ball off him and hoof it up the park where our defence did the rest. It was almost as if his reaction was meh... 

I am sure he will come good again but needs to do it soon as it may get to the point where no team is prepared to pay the £500k* training compensation we would be due.

* subject to whichever team / league he would end up at.