Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Last night was absolutely massive, you can't help but feel chuffed for the boys after the effort they put in second half. I think a few of them proved they do actually care a wee bit more than we thought. We aren't out of the woods by any means however and I still think we need quite a few changes. I was majorly bricking it throughout and I think we need to acknowledge that the game could easily have went either way at points.

In terms of highlights, I thought Mugabi was excellent and he has really surpassed my expectations recently. Watt and Cole were also terrific. I actually wouldn't mind seeing them working as a two I think it could work really well. I also think you would get more out of Long coming off the bench in a two.  I admit to being a Devante Cole fan boy but he is the one guy I look at who always looks capable of being a goal scoring threat.

In terms of negatives,  I really like Alan Campbell but i feel like he escapes alot of criticism based on his workrate and general attitude. I've watched countless games this season and he is really frustrating to watch, he seems to repeatedly lose the ball rather than just playing simple passes. Clearly the good outweighs the bad but I really feel like his form has dipped this season. As for the goal, hopefully Gallagher is embarrassed watching that back. I would be If I had put in a tackle like that at 7 a sides.

Final moan is no doubt controversial given that he has provided many with a nostalgia trip but I am 100% over Jock Brown. Overall his analysis is pretty pish and his clichéd 'standing in ceremony' and 'no quarter given' patter is driving me up the wall. If the media team would fix the sounds levels it might not be so bad but the overall 'match day experience' is pretty sub par. 

Lewis Irons beside him doesn't help matters either. I switched to Ross County TV commentary (which had Crags on it) after Irons described a corner Barry Maguire hit as "great" which missed absolutely everyone and went out for a shy.

Every other club have a former (or current injured) player on co-comms and it's just a bit better to listen to. There's also seems to be either half time analysis, or a feature on most clubs' channels. Our operation seems quite shoddy in comparison. We're absolutely great at four word cliches to describe the game on an instagram post though...

19 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Every other club have a former (or current injured) player on co-comms and it's just a bit better to listen to. There's also seems to be either half time analysis, or a feature on most clubs' channels. Our operation seems quite shoddy in comparison. We're absolutely great at four word cliches to describe the game on an instagram post though...

This is something I’ve noticed as well. Most other teams (I think everyone in the premiership apart from us but I could be wrong) usually have some sort of presenter and analysis of the game whereas we get silence up until 5 minutes before kick off and then nothing at half-time. I get that all they really need to do is provide the game, which after some early blips, they have done but when you see clubs like Ross County, St Mirren and even Hamilton throwing in a little more to make it interesting it does lead you to think ‘why don’t we?’

Edited by ZX1886

3 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

I get that all they really need to do is provide the game, which after some early blips, they have done but when you see clubs like Ross County, St Mirren and even Hamilton throwing in a little more to make it interesting it does lead you to think ‘why don’t we?’

To be fair, they did come out early on and say they wouldn't be doing that, essentially (from what I remember) because it would cost too much. But now that they know they'll be doing it for another few months, it would be nice to up their game a wee bit.

Edited by Gallus Numpty

27 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

Last night was absolutely massive, you can't help but feel chuffed for the boys after the effort they put in second half. I think a few of them proved they do actually care a wee bit more than we thought. We aren't out of the woods by any means however and I still think we need quite a few changes. I was majorly bricking it throughout and I think we need to acknowledge that the game could easily have went either way at points.

In terms of highlights, I thought Mugabi was excellent and he has really surpassed my expectations recently. Watt and Cole were also terrific. I actually wouldn't mind seeing them working as a two I think it could work really well. I also think you would get more out of Long coming off the bench in a two.  I admit to being a Devante Cole fan boy but he is the one guy I look at who always looks capable of being a goal scoring threat.

In terms of negatives,  I really like Alan Campbell but i feel like he escapes alot of criticism based on his workrate and general attitude. I've watched countless games this season and he is really frustrating to watch, he seems to repeatedly lose the ball rather than just playing simple passes. Clearly the good outweighs the bad but I really feel like his form has dipped this season. As for the goal, hopefully Gallagher is embarrassed watching that back. I would be If I had put in a tackle like that at 7 a sides.

Final moan is no doubt controversial given that he has provided many with a nostalgia trip but I am 100% over Jock Brown. Overall his analysis is pretty pish and his clichéd 'standing in ceremony' and 'no quarter given' patter is driving me up the wall. If the media team would fix the sounds levels it might not be so bad but the overall 'match day experience' is pretty sub par. 

Agree with a lot of what you say there.

Barry Maguire is fortunate that the ball breaks back to him but he immediately gets it under control and lays a simple 10 yard pass into O’Donnell stride who instead of trying our normal 40 yard cross field pass slides a ball inside the fullback for Long onto and the rest is history.

Cant help but think Campbell would have tried to run with the ball and be disposed.

1 hour ago, Luke92 said:

Spot on. Wee Alan has this infuriating habit of getting the ball then turning into the guy and trying to hold him off with his arse by which time there's another 2 players round about him and he invariably loses possession.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Lewis Irons beside him doesn't help matters either. I switched to Ross County TV commentary (which had Crags on it) after Irons described a corner Barry Maguire hit as "great" which missed absolutely everyone and went out for a shy.

Same here and I must admit I enjoyed what Ross County TV served up and one of the best commentaries I've heard so far.

Get the cost angle but really how much would it cost to have a 15 minute pre recorded video interview of a player prior to the game at least.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I don't really mind the commentary (hearing Jock Brown *still* talking about Ray McKinnon's two-footed abilities was an amusing flashback to the '91 final commentary) - although it would be great to have a "no commentary" option as I'm happy watching without it. I've also hate pre- and post-match pundit chat and never watch it, so that doesn't matter to me.

I was listening last night on a decent pair of headphones, so I also enjoyed the thoughts of the Motherwell staff sitting near by (sounded suspiciously like 'Flow willing every tackle and header in the last 15 mins though I could be wrong) :)

2 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

Hit the mute button, I always do. Makes no difference when there are no crowds anyway.

I quite enjoy hearing the players swearing at each other. And last night, listening to some of the incoherent shite that Hughes was coming out with was quite good too - must be what it's like sitting in the central Main Stand at Fir Park

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

@crazylegsjoe_mfc - there you go, it's only til the end of the season.

I’m happy with this if it’s for competition to give Campbell a boot up the arse and keep Maguire pushing who I’ve been critical of this season and the past and didn’t think he’d make the grade but I thought he was excellent last night. Think this will be a replacement for Crawford which I don’t know how I feel about as we still have Donnelly and O’Hara to return, ideally I’d like someone to come in and claim a starting spot ahead of Polworth. 

Never thought I’d see Motherwell sign a 34 year old who can’t get a game for us, but here we are.
Sam was great last year but it just looked like his legs had gone this year. He picked up a niggling injury and never seemed to get fully over it. Which tends to happen when you get to that age.

8 minutes ago, supermarv said:

I’m happy with this if it’s for competition to give Campbell a boot up the arse and keep Maguire pushing who I’ve been critical of this season and the past and didn’t think he’d make the grade but I thought he was excellent last night. Think this will be a replacement for Crawford which I don’t know how I feel about as we still have Donnelly and O’Hara to return, ideally I’d like someone to come in and claim a starting spot ahead of Polworth. 

I have no strong opinions on the signing however @well fan for life made a point earlier re: Cornelius coming on at Tannadice instead of Maguire and it's got me wondering if Foley coming in might be a short term, experienced option on the bench to allow one or two of the Young Team to go out on loan as the likes of Cornelius, Devine and Hussain have basically been parked on the bench and our current situation doesn't seem like the best environment to be chucking them in.

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

Never thought I’d see Motherwell sign a 34 year old who can’t get a game for us, but here we are.
Sam was great last year but it just looked like his legs had gone this year. He picked up a niggling injury and never seemed to get fully over it. Which tends to happen when you get to that age.

I am quite sure Livingston fans were thinking same re Crawford. 

No shame in not getting a game for a side that thumped Dundee United 5-1😉

Seems fairly uninspiring but if it gives us experienced cover till the summer then I trust the management team to know what they are doing. 

8 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I liked Sam Foley. He was excellent for us last season but never hit the ground running this year and really struggled for whatever reason. Hopefully for him he can recapture some form particularly if it is against our rivals!

Shades of Richard Tait here and look how hes turned out for you