Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I would always have played Maguire over Crawford.

Crawford is neat and tidy on the ball, but he's not too physical in battle. Maguire, being a former centre-half has a bit more in that regard and is just as good on the ball as Crawford for me.

Add to that, I always think we should try and use our own player who might have potential to kick on, over a loanee who's probably already hit his ceiling.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

6 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I would always have played Maguire over Crawford.

Crawford is neat and tidy on the ball, but he's not too physical in battle. Maguire, being a former centre-half has a bit more in that regard and is just as good on the ball as Crawford for me.

Add to that, I always think we should trying and use our own player who might have potential to kick on, over a loanee who's probably already hit his ceiling.

This has struck me for a lot of this season. Crawford is fine to have in the squad. But signing like a 5th choice Livingston player to play ahead of Maguire who could arguably have done the same job all season is a weird one. 

Also if we'd brought Maguire on instead of Cornelius at Tanadice I reckon we'd have been much more likely to get away with 3 points there. 

Thank christ  we won , a defeat would have been yet another disaster.  We have games coming up against all the teams we need to catch up  (apart from Celtic) so it is in our own hands. Certainly more optimistic this morning  but have a big job ahead to get ourselves out the mire .  Really like the new manager and think he will  stop us going down . Time will tell.

Feel like last night's win could be equally as massive in terms of confidence and mindset, as it was in importance to get the points on the board. 

Going 1-0 down in so many games and immediately looking defeated must have been as much of a grind to play in as it has been for us to watch. Now that particular monkey is off their backs, hopefully the mentality has changed. 

One swallow and all that, but I feel a helluva lot more optimistic this morning that, with a couple of shrewd additions, Alexander can steer us successfully through the remainder of this shitshow of a season with our top flight status intact. 

2 hours ago, Al B said:

It was my birthday yesterday so enjoyed the win over a home-made mozzarella chicken with sweet potato and mange-tout (Rodney), served up by the wife. Lovely way to spend the evening, and saves my first Paneer-fest for the weekend.

Im thinking South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken and getting in some Cobra, I like matching my beer to my grub.

Happy birthday. I am a lover of Indians but I am unsure I have ever tried Paneer. Few of the LCC guys would frown at me trying it I reckon. Snobby bassas . Might try it at the weekend.

Probably the worst player to wear the Motherwell no.9 jersey, and I can remember Jason Dair wearing it for about a year and a half. 

I'm staggered he got another gig at Premiership level. A lower league forward in every possible way. 

In the spirit of Alex Fisher, absolutely fair play to the club (and his agent) for being able to find a taker for White.

Also, it was nice of us to drop him off in Dingwall for them.

If we could get someone to show a bit of interest in Ricki Lamie now that would be smashing.

Edited by capt_oats

No harm to the guy but he looked a mile off Premiership level. Amazed he got another gig in this league but fair play to him.

Hopefully that frees up a little bit more cash for strengthening the squad in the next few days.

On Maguire, I’ve never been a massive fan. Largely because I don’t really know what he is; is he a centre back? A #6? An #8? I had him pegged in the Carswell/Clay category of ‘fairly tidy but doesn’t really impact the game in any way’.

Last night though I was pretty impressed, I thought he was the best of the midfield 3 and, as other have said, seemed to be able to do everything Crawford does but with a bit more purpose, particularly in his passing. Given his age, it’s pretty much make or break time for him but I’d be quite keen to see how he does with a run in the team.

40 minutes ago, Desp said:

Probably the worst player to wear the Motherwell no.9 jersey, and I can remember Jason Dair wearing it for about a year and a half. 

I'm staggered he got another gig at Premiership level. A lower league forward in every possible way. 

I thought he was unfortunate to have his two early goals disallowed. Thereafter our set up didn’t do him any favours any time he came on.  He obviously didn’t have the spark to make things happen himself and better for everyone that he has moved on.

19 minutes ago, ropy said:

I thought he was unfortunate to have his two early goals disallowed. Thereafter our set up didn’t do him any favours any time he came on.  He obviously didn’t have the spark to make things happen himself and better for everyone that he has moved on.

And to Ross County. Watch him turn into a goal machine....

Easy to see why RC fans are underwhelmed. Nothing against the big lad it just was not happening for him. Smith may turn out to be not much better but at least he is only on loan. 

Fabulous win last night. Would have taken a draw at 1-0 down but to get all 3 is very very welcome. Watt was immense and plus marks also for Carroll, Maguire and Mugabe. Campbell could do with a wee spell on the bench. He looks jaded and certainly well off his usual form.

Also special mention for Nick Walsh. Apart from failing to book Heldje or whatever he is called for about half a dozen fouls before eventually booking him. At least there was no howler against us. 

Another win back at Fir Park next midweek v United would start to have me feeling more confident avoiding the bottom 2 places. Imho We should not have lost to them earlier in the season. We should not have drawn against them in the last game. Hopefully we can replicate second half last night for full 90 minutes and exact some measure of revenge. 

Edited by welldaft

Robinson's on Sportsound tonight, there's an article up by Scott Mullen on the BBC website. He's been doing the rounds with the press recently so I'd be surprised if there's much said that'll be different from those interviews:

"I couldn't speak any higher of Alan [Burrows, chief executive] or Jim [McMahon, chairman], I just felt I didn't have the energy for another rebuild again and it was time for someone else."

Link

As @Casagolda mentions in that post earlier even though it's early days Alexander's been working largely with the same squad as Robinson bar Kelly (and Carroll) and you're seeing marginal improvements in certain areas that a set of fresh eyes can bring eg: small sample but that's Cole got 3 in Alexander's 4 games - who was the last centre forward that had a wee run like that of non-penalty goals under Robinson? Main when he arrived?

Absolutely no harm to Jordan White, he just wasn't good enough for this level) (which makes it all the more baffling that he got a move to County). He'll probably pitch back up at Inverness at some point and forget this season ever happened.