Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Winning the u20 cup might suggest we are going in the right direction with this.
The returning player habit has to change though we're agreed on that.

Cadden, Campbell & Gordon all started today. Livingstone came off the bench as well.

By my count we've used 10 players who've come through the Academy or u20 level this season (Ferguson, McMillan, Livingstone, Cadden, Campbell, Gordon, Hastie, MacLean, Thomas & Mackin).

Looking forward to seeing the clear out begin, I've heard Robinson wants to reduce the average of the squad, I honestly we've now the last of Samson, Pearson, McFadden, Lucas, Chalmers (already gone), Lasley (retiring i reckon) Ainsworth and Ferguson. 

If we can bring in players of a decent calibre to to replace those on their way out and then i reckon we would have a decent season next year.

Roboo sticking the boot into the players and i'd say he has a point here!!

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson – who wouldn’t confirm his no. 2 James McFadden will stay at Fir Park – said: “I thought our players celebrating when we were 3-2 down was embarrassing.

“That mentality can’t stay at this club, it doesn’t matter whether it’s the last game of the season or not.

“Perhaps that’s why we were where we were all season – maybe it was too easy to lose games

“I met with the board on Friday to discuss my budget for next year. We have 13 contracted players and I’ll be trying to wheel and deal.”

I must be the only one to like Craig Clay and I think he does a job. Maybe he shouldn't be a starter every week but he's a good squad player and, for me, he's definitely contributed more than Pearson has since he came back.

Not bad technically but his lack of effort off the ball is frustrating

I tad hypocritical from the manager, no?

I mean, bringing on McFadden for the last half hour isn't exactly taking it seriously, is it? Very much a 'end of the season, not giving a shit' move.

Anyway as I said earlier, I'll be very surprised if any of the out of contract players are offered new deals.

Thought this was quite revealing, taken from the BBC report;

"We've got 14 contracted players at this moment. We might have to do a little bit of wheeling and dealing to get some people out, and get better players in, if we're being honest."

Looks like he'll be trying to move on some of those who are still under contract. Can't imagine who tbh.

Pretty random I know but is there any need for the 'and athletic' part of our club's name?

I used to be involved in athletics as a kid- too shite to play football- and I remember there was a Motherwell Athletics club that wore claret and amber. No idea if they were affiliated to the football team though.

27 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

Roboo sticking the boot into the players and i'd say he has a point here!!

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson – who wouldn’t confirm his no. 2 James McFadden will stay at Fir Park – said: “I thought our players celebrating when we were 3-2 down was embarrassing.

“That mentality can’t stay at this club, it doesn’t matter whether it’s the last game of the season or not.

“Perhaps that’s why we were where we were all season – maybe it was too easy to lose games

“I met with the board on Friday to discuss my budget for next year. We have 13 contracted players and I’ll be trying to wheel and deal.”

It was basically a dead game where Robinson was happy to f**k about with his team and subs. Being confrontational about the problems isn't going to solve anything.

And wasn't the only out of contract player on the pitch at the end Faddy, the assistant manager? So is he just pissing off the players who are going to be here next season. And btw I count more than 13 players under contract so Robbo might want to think before he starts spouting more shite. Remember he had a free had at wheeling and dealing down at Oldham and couldn't make even a half decent side.

Quite impressed with Robinson's comments about the players celebrating a 3-2 defeat and refreshing to hear from a Motherwell manager because a defeat is never something to be celebrated, especially one at the end of a dismal campaign.

The task in hand for Robinson to rebuild the squad this summer is absolutely massive and only time will tell if he is up to it. The average age of the squad must be lowered as he's already acknowledged and the focus should be on blending youth with shrewd business in the transfer market. The class of 2003 (Lasley, Hammell, McFadden and Pearson) must NOT start the new season as registered first team players if we are to have any serious intentions of moving forward as a club and improving next season.

Edited by MJC

I think he's right to be questioning the mentality and attitude around the squad tbh. He's our fourth manager in 3 seasons FFS! Each sacking has been met with the same excuses and empty rhetoric.

You look at the number of cheap goals we've lost and the number of late goals we ship. For me that's been as much about mentality as anything.

It's the last game of the season, we're safe, he knows that he's going to be shipping out half this squad so if he wants to lay down a marker about expectations then I'm fine with that.

Edited by capt_oats

31 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I think he's right to be questioning the mentality and attitude around the squad tbh. He's our fourth manager in 3 seasons FFS! Each sacking has been met with the same excuses and empty rhetoric.

There are too many individuals at Fir Park who have been in a comfort zone for years and it's well past time that they were either shaken right out of it or in the main, moved on.

I've said it before but it is absolutely galling to think that esstentially the same core of players, ie. Lasley, Hammell, Pearson, Ainsworth & McManus, who took us to the brink of relegation in 2015 were still playing an active and regular role two years and two managers on.

It's very much jobs for the boys at Fir Park and for too long we have allowed the same players and staff to continue in their roles when it's been clear to see that we are getting little in return.

15 minutes ago, MJC said:

I've said it before but it is absolutely galling to think that esstentially the same core of players, ie. Lasley, Hammell, Pearson, Ainsworth & McManus, who took us to the brink of relegation in 2015 were still playing an active and regular role two years and two managers on.

It's very much jobs for the boys at Fir Park and for too long we have allowed the same players and staff to continue in their roles when it's been clear to see that we are getting little in return.

Hammell and Lasley are in the team because they are still the best players in those roles - despite loads of players coming in to challenge them.  If they hadn't been there and we'd had another Joe Chalmers or Craig Clay we may well have been down this season.

Pearson played a big part in dragging us away from the bottom of the league last year to get us what will probably be our last Top 6 spot for a good while. Didn't do much this time but that's all in retrospect.  Do you think better options were queuing up to join us at the winter transfer window?

Were we better with or without McManus?  Obvious answer.  Look at how Ben Heneghan completely disintegrated as a player when he didn't have an experienced centre half to play next to.

Ainsworth - Frustrating player but hardly the reason for our poor season.

What we need is a stronger squad that can absorb the kind of injury problems we had this season.  The guys that came in weren't good enough.

Hammell and Lasley are in the team because they are still the best players in those roles - despite loads of players coming in to challenge them.  If they hadn't been there and we'd had another Joe Chalmers or Craig Clay we may well have been down this season.
Pearson played a big part in dragging us away from the bottom of the league last year to get us what will probably be our last Top 6 spot for a good while. Didn't do much this time but that's all in retrospect.  Do you think better options were queuing up to join us at the winter transfer window?
Were we better with or without McManus?  Obvious answer.  Look at how Ben Heneghan completely disintegrated as a player when he didn't have an experienced centre half to play next to.
Ainsworth - Frustrating player but hardly the reason for our poor season.
What we need is a stronger squad that can absorb the kind of injury problems we had this season.  The guys that came in weren't good enough.

Was just about to say more or less the same thing. The players mentioned are the best we have in those positions and while they've been involved in the recent relegation battles, they were also key players when we were "best of the rest".

Just seen the end of the game on Alba, no idea what Robinson was complaining about. Bowman had a half a celebration in front of the Motherwell fans after scoring which was the last kick of the game. Then the players went over and applauded the fans for making the trip up on a meaningless last day of the season.

If Robinson was that bothered about losing he shouldn't have put on Adam Livingston at left wing back, his lack of experience and positioning was a key factors in all 3 goals.