Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, dezz said:

I know he’s not exactly set the heather alight for us, but what’s the chances of Celtic trying to grab O’Donnell this month now that it looks like Frimpong is away and by all accounts El Hamed is desperate to get back to Israel.

Honestly if Celtic are pinning their future title hopes on Gallagher & O'Donnell I'll be piling money on Rangers to win the league for the next couple of years. 

I think O'Donnell's probably came in for some harsh criticism at times based on peoples expectations of him rather than his actual performances for Motherwell. 

He's a decent Scottish Premiership right back, that's about it and that's largely what he's been for us. Would ideally like him to stay but if he can wangle himself a lucrative deal out of Celtic or some Championship mob then fair play to him. Would leave us short in the full back area again though, especially as Grimshaw seems to have disappeared in recent weeks.

1 hour ago, dezz said:

I know he’s not exactly set the heather alight for us, but what’s the chances of Celtic trying to grab O’Donnell this month now that it looks like Frimpong is away and by all accounts El Hamed is desperate to get back to Israel.

20 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Honestly if Celtic are pinning their future title hopes on Gallagher & O'Donnell I'll be piling money on Rangers to win the league for the next couple of years. 

3 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I think O'Donnell's probably came in for some harsh criticism at times based on peoples expectations of him rather than his actual performances for Motherwell. 

He's a decent Scottish Premiership right back, that's about it and that's largely what he's been for us. Would ideally like him to stay but if he can wangle himself a lucrative deal out of Celtic or some Championship mob then fair play to him. Would leave us short in the full back area again though, especially as Grimshaw seems to have disappeared in recent weeks.

O'Donnell has been extremely average. I thought he was extremely average beforehand but based on the love for him I assumed I was missing something and I think my expectations soared. 

He defo steadied that side of the defence a bit. 

If Celtic are thinking of signing him I will laugh myself to death.  Gallagher I could understand and make a case for, just about. 

8 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I'm not going as far as saying he's rubbish. He's very average. The recent Rangers game was his first good game in months. 

As @Busta Nut's said. If Celtic try to stop Rangers by pinning their defensive hopes on him I'll absolutely piss my pants. 

Given how Grimshaw was playing at the start of the season O'Donnell's come in and been...fine? I'd say he's improved us based on where we were without necessarily screaming 'International Footballer'.

I don't think anyone's ever been under the illusion that his situation is very much of convenience; we needed a full back as the one we had went off a cliff, he lives 5 minutes away and needed minutes to keep ticking over for his international aspirations.

It's not a criticism of him because, as I say, the arrangement with SOD has been pretty clear but in a way his 'one foot out the door' status has kind of been indicative of the malaise and general funk that's been around the team this season.

Of our regular-ish starting XI at least half have contracts expiring in the summer (unless there are any other 'plot twist' clauses like Gallagher's).

Edited by capt_oats

I agree that he’s not the level of player they should be pinning their hopes on if they want to start winning leagues again, and I wouldn’t expect them to make him a key player or anything like that, but they could do worse (see Laxalt) than get a Scotland international in as a filler for 6 months and as a reliable squad player next year.

Fingers crossed he stays because I’m not the biggest Grimshaw fan.

23 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Was flicking through Twitter and Scott Burns has us trying to get a 34 year old midfielder from St Mirren called Foley. I don’t recall the guy at all tbh but Scott Burns is usually right. It was in the Record.

See what you told us about Tait when we came in to sign him? Well it's the same here. Rather than re-write I'll quote what I wrote in our thread..

To anyone looking in from the outside they must see Foley as a pretty solid addition to their squad. Experienced, somewhat versatile, unlikely to be on high wages and (presumably) desperate to get some game time.

50 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Was flicking through Twitter and Scott Burns has us trying to get a 34 year old midfielder from St Mirren called Foley. I don’t recall the guy at all tbh but Scott Burns is usually right. It was in the Record.

I'm guessing he might be a replacement for Crawford if we're not renewing his loan?

I have no idea who Kyle Gunn is but it seems Foley's the St Mirren club captain.