Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

49 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Not sure I can see us bringing in 4 more players, certainly not of a level of quality that would make any real difference to the team. 

We've got a fairly big squad as it is, I know were thin on the ground on Sunday in terms of numbers but we were without O'Hara, Long, Hastie, Grimshaw, Carson as well as Donnelly. Not to mention in terms of budget, we're also still paying guys like Chapman and Fox.

Sadly we can't force anybody out the door and I get why Alexander might think it's not the most effective use of our limited time/money to do so. Getting more out of some of the underperformers could be just as effective(and a lot less costly) than emptying bodies mid season and bringing in replacements. 

Although, sounds like there's a new striker coming in shortly(with another one possibly going out from what I've heard). Think having to choose between bringing on White or MacIver these last few weeks has probably made Alexander's mind up on that front.

I'd imagine it'll be a nominal sum but Dunne is someone else who'll be on the wage bill. That's not a criticism just more a point that it's another body in the squad.

I mean, I can see us signing 4 players but the only way that happens is if we move 3 or 4 out the door given the size of the squad and in these 'unprecedented times' that's a big ask unless clubs are chapping our door looking at our waifs and strays as Alexander has made it clear he's keen for us to keep hold of our better players for the moment.

As it stands we've already brought in 2 in Kelly and Lawleff.

If we're able to bring in a couple of a decent quality then it'd make a difference as we've already seen a bit of an improvement with a vaguely competent goalkeeper and an actual left back.

To get an idea of the squad as is based on who's been in the match day squads:

GK: Kelly, Morrison, Chapman. Carson (injured) Fox (injured) - (5)
DF: Grimshaw, Carroll, Lamie, McGinley, Mugabi, Dunne (injured), Devine, Hussain, Gallagher, O'Donnell, Johnston - (11)
MF: Campbell, O'Hara, Crawford, Maguire, Polworth, Donnelly (injured), Cornelius - (7)
FW: White, Hastie, Lawless, Seedorf, McIver, Watt, Cole, Long (injured) - (8)

That's 31 players (albeit with the reduced Reserves (6) and (3) Out on Loan this season it means we're probably in line with a normal season overall - last season when the league was curtailed it was 39 all in with 4 out on loan).

I suppose that's just a really long-winded way of agreeing and saying we're pretty maxed out in terms of squad at the moment.

Edited by capt_oats

In November/December, we certainly looked like we needed an influx of players.

However, when you think about it Carroll has been like a new signing. I'm not saying he's been amazing or revolutionary, but he's just been a natural left back, playing in position, relatively competently. That's a big upgrade on what we've had the rest of the season. Hopefully, Donnelly will be fit soon enough and similarly have a fresh feel to his play.

As much as I still lament their attitudes and performances so far, I'm hopeful that Alexander will get more out of Long and Polworth between now and the end of the season. There's already evidence in the past couple of weeks of more fire in Polworth's belly.

I'm not sure when we'll see Long back, but there is the potential for four players we already have making a difference and hopefully in Lawless we've already brought in some creativity out wide.

I still think we could do with bringing in a centre-half, MOTM or not on Sunday, one swallow doesn't make a summer for Mugabi. Lamie speaks for himself and although I don't think McGinley has been catastrophic, his place in the pecking order for three different men in charge probably speaks for itself now.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

And on that note...

One of my old team from work is a Cobblers fan. I have asked his opinion and will report back. Interesting that other League One teams were interested. Hopefully a good sign, although being let go from a League One team battling relegation....is that much of a difference standard wise to our current predicament...

All the posts above re squad size and even quality are spot on. Carroll is getting more games and each time he looks better and more competent. We now have a competent goalie. Suspect at crosses but seems assured enough and coped well on Sunday even although most shots were straight at him. You can guarantee Chapman would have spilled one or more based on his Accies non performance. OHara back with Lawless and we have a stronger midfield.

If we could get Donnelly and Long back and performing then assuming we lose nobody of any quality then there is enough there (if they perform) to avoid bottom 2 places in league which is our first and only consideration for the immediate future. 

As a by the by Harry Smith seems to have been part of a weird 3 way type thing for Bristol Rovers where they've been looking at various lanky centre forwards.

297112893_ScreenShot2021-01-21at13_51_28.png.24d6c0789ba7da979a4367d473f9f66d.png

Link

Oddly when I saw that video of him the other week when he was first mentioned I got heavy Stockley/Cosgrove vibes.

Either way, if he does end up here it feels like a strong 'not Jordan White' move.

https://talksport.com/football/efl/708424/mental-health-awareness-week-northampton-harry-smith-gambling-addiction/

Has had a few issues in the past but hopefully that is all behind him.

He clearly has talent but lest we forget that Jordan White was top goalscorer for ICT for a couple of seasons iirc. 

If he comes in a scores the winner v Aberdeen that would be just fine. We can out Cosgrove Aberdeen. 

9 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

I'm getting some heavy Jacob Blyth vibes.

Posts like this occasionally remind of the sheer amount of utter dross we've signed over the years - it's incredible that we've survived three and half decades in the top league

16 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I think, when all things are considered, I hate Jacob Blyth more than I hate anyone else on this planet.

Something that's always sat weirdly with me is why, for that particular photo, that he's done for the 'gram, he posed in front of a banner for an all day breakfast.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Something that's always sat weirdly with me is why, for that particular photo, that he's done for the 'gram, he posed in front of a banner for an all day breakfast.

Must have been some wake.

I actually didn't think Blyth was that bad. He was obviously a massive weapon to a ridiculous degree but I thought when he occasionally came on he was at least a bit of a handful for defenders. Sure he almost scored a decent header at home to St Johnstone once and was okay at Firhill too.

He was still totally shite obviously, but I'd take him over a Fisher or a White at least.

7 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I actually didn't think Blyth was that bad. He was obviously a massive weapon to a ridiculous degree but I thought when he occasionally came on he was at least a bit of a handful for defenders. Sure he almost scored a decent header at home to St Johnstone once and was okay at Firhill too.

He was still totally shite obviously, but I'd take him over a Fisher or a White at least.

Fisher > White & Blyth. White's shit at football and Blyth's a dick. Therefore I'd take the Fish all day long.