Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

25 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Any news on anyone who has left the club today...I believe at least O'Donnell contract is up although I think we had an option until the end of the season or was I dreaming that up.?

17 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

O'Donnell's contract is a weird yin

According to Robinson O'Donnell's contract runs "for a few more weeks".

This interview is really weird reading, given that Robinson resigned the next morning.

Robinson, who confirmed that Callum Lang is returning to Wigan Athletic tomorrow, and said he's talking with Robbie Crawford about extending his loan from Livingston, said: "Stephen will decide in the coming weeks what he decides to do.

"He's contracted for a few more weeks and then it will be his decision after that.

"Ultimately this club should only have people here that want to be here - and I'm not saying Stephen isn't, by the way, so don't quote me, I'm not using Stephen as an example - but as a general rule we should only have people here who are desperate to be here, desperate to play here, this club deserves that amount of respect."

Link

There's an option to extend to the end of the season but I'd imagine that's in the player's favour.

Stephen O’Donnell has joined Motherwell.

The 28-year-old has signed on a short-term deal until the next transfer window.

O’Donnell’s contract has the option to extend the deal until the end of the season. He joins subject to Scottish FA clearance.

Link

55 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Anyone remember this wee gem from New Year's day 2014?

Lionel Ainsworth was unplayable that day. I was sitting in the east stand and any time he got the ball in the 2nd half something seemed to happen. Faddy's goal to finish things wasn't bad either. Not that I'm drawing any conclusions but he started to go downhill after his hair transplant.

This is what we want to see, games that cheer you up and remind us of why it's fun - let's batter in. I think as they are tomorrow's opponents, I'll go for:

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Anyone remember this wee gem from New Year's day 2014?

Lionel Ainsworth was unplayable that day. I was sitting in the east stand and any time he got the ball in the 2nd half something seemed to happen. Faddy's goal to finish things wasn't bad either. Not that I'm drawing any conclusions but he started to go downhill after his hair transplant.

Being fully serious I think this might be the best solo performance I have ever seen at Fir Park. Every time Lionel got the ball he was flying past defenders like they weren't there.

Being fully serious I think this might be the best solo performance I have ever seen at Fir Park. Every time Lionel got the ball he was flying past defenders like they weren't there.
I can't disagree. He really was brilliant that day.

If he played like that every week he'd have cemented his position as the greatest Lionel ever to play the game.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

This is what we want to see, games that cheer you up and remind us of why it's fun - let's batter in. I think as they are tomorrow's opponents, I'll go for:

Despite it being a terrible season (apart from the playoffs) these two games always stuck in my mind along with the 4-0 hammering of Accies. 

The less we talk about the St Mirren away game that followed the better. 

These videos are great to watch but they also highlight our lack of goal threat and pace throughput the current team.
Even the play-off year, when there were a lot of performances similar to this season, we had attacking threat and when it clicked we were able to hammer teams. There's currently no sign of that whatsoever.

These videos are great to watch but they also highlight our lack of goal threat and pace throughput the current team.
Even the play-off year, when there were a lot of performances similar to this season, we had attacking threat and when it clicked we were able to hammer teams. There's currently no sign of that whatsoever.
Was just about to post similar. Our current team is crying out for a John Sutton just to put the ball in the net. An actual striker rather than an "attacking option".

13 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

There's a lot of love for Ainsworth (myself included) but it's easy to forget that season he looked utterly disinterested for a large spell until that night he scored twice against Accies. 

Getting Johnson, Pearson and McDonald in after the turn of the year was pivotal to being able to click and hammer teams, especially as McDonald really brought out the best in Erwin, who went August - April without a goal.

The first half of that season was turgid, I reckon if we had that March - May team all season, we would have been absolutely fine.

24 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

There's a lot of love for Ainsworth (myself included) but it's easy to forget that season he looked utterly disinterested for a large spell until that night he scored twice against Accies. 

Getting Johnson, Pearson and McDonald in after the turn of the year was pivotal to being able to click and hammer teams, especially as McDonald really brought out the best in Erwin, who went August - April without a goal.

The first half of that season was turgid, I reckon if we had that March - May team all season, we would have been absolutely fine.

This is all correct because if that team played to it's potential post January, we would have been no where remotely near a playoff - but as @Archie McSquackle says, that team at least had the players that could step it up and blow teams away, we simply don't have that now - the decline in quality even from a team that finished 11th is pretty obvious. 

I joked the other day about us signing 35 year old c***s - but a bit of leadership on the park is essential as far as I'm concerned as there is none of that at the moment, Carson aside. Gallacher is a brilliant defender when his head is in it and he deserves the move he's after - but I'm not seeing any evidence that he's a good captain.

32 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

From the end of the January window after Baraclough's trolley dash until the end of the season we were 6th in form (County were 2nd).

1681927218_ScreenShot2021-01-01at14_09_32.png.144c61c32f7240fed38d2599149a7bb9.png

Edited by capt_oats

25 minutes ago, Swello said:

This is all correct because if that team played to it's potential post January, we would have been no where remotely near a playoff - but as @Archie McSquackle says, that team at least had the players that could step it up and blow teams away, we simply don't have that now - the decline in quality even from a team that finished 11th is pretty obvious. 

I joked the other day about us signing 35 year old c***s - but a bit of leadership on the park is essential as far as I'm concerned as there is none of that at the moment, Carson aside. Gallacher is a brilliant defender when his head is in it and he deserves the move he's after - but I'm not seeing any evidence that he's a good captain.

The point in part I was trying to make was that if we were sitting here on January 1st 2015 (incidentally the day we got royally pumped by Accies) we’d probably have been saying the same about not having players who could blow teams away.

Maybe our January dealings will dictate if we are able to become a more creative team in the second half of the season. Mind you I think getting three bodies in with the quality of Johnson, McDonald and Pearson is pretty much an impossibility 😆

Totally agree with Gallagher, seems like the captaincy sits heavy on him the way it did with Carl McHugh. For all Peter Hartley had some shortcomings on the pitch (albeit he would walk into our team just now) and said/done the odd moronic thing (Imrie/Bowman breaking noses) he did appear like he was a decent captain. A lot of our problems are probably highlighted by the fact that we can identify Gallagher doesn’t seem to be a great captain, but there’s no real candidate to take over.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

I watch McCall-era videos all the time, it's by a million miles the most fun I've ever had going to football. I just remember always being gutted at the final whistle, purely because it meant the game was over...and being desperate for the next one to roll round. As was said earlier it was an amazing feeling rocking up to your seat knowing you were pretty much guaranteed a goal of the season contender.

The Higdon, Ojamaa and Ainsworth highlight reels should be preserved in the club archives forever. Imagine trying to play against that.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

According to Robinson O'Donnell's contract runs "for a few more weeks".

This interview is really weird reading, given that Robinson resigned the next morning.

There's an option to extend to the end of the season but I'd imagine that's in the player's favour.

Long story short, I was told he is contracted to the end of the season but can leave if he gets a better offer.