Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, Swello said:

I thought Barraclough's departure was the one that broke the mould as it was neither - he was clearly a nice guy who wasn't working out and there was no satisfaction in him going. Craig "I'll speak to Aberdeen out of courtesy" Brown on the other hand, I'm still massively bitter about years later.

Yeah Baraclough was an odd situation. To me it felt similar to McCall/Robinson but his sense of goodwill was due entirely to the playoffs rather than any actual achievements. 

If he'd kept us up by finishing 10th he'd be remembered far less fondly :lol:

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Yeah Baraclough was an odd situation. To me it felt similar to McCall/Robinson but his sense of goodwill was due entirely to the playoffs rather than any actual achievements. 

i thought it was the dinosaur patter that swung it for him. 

5 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I’ve no idea why you’re using that as an example of a bad thing for you. That would probably be the ideal person, given your views.

My only views on politics is that they are devisive and that they certainly have no place in football. Therefore the political background of a player or manager is utterly irrelevant to me. 

At least Robinson- like McCall- left with his dignity intact and with the best wishes and gratitude of most of the support. Best way to leave I suppose. 

He gave me some of my favourite days supporting Motherwell and presided over a period of evolution from the utter clusterbourach McGhee left him, to a team that played some outstanding football in the latter half of 18/19 and first half of 19/20. He also reenergised my passion for the club when it had been completely on the wane under McGhee too. Probably one of the best managers we've had in my lifetime and he certainly leaves a healthy legacy in many ways. 

At least Robinson- like McCall- left with his dignity intact and with the best wishes and gratitude of most of the support. Best way to leave I suppose. 

He gave me some of my favourite days supporting Motherwell and presided over a period of evolution from the utter clusterbourach McGhee left him, to a team that played some outstanding football in the latter half of 18/19 and first half of 19/20. He also reenergised my passion for the club when it had been completely on the wane under McGhee too. Probably one of the best managers we've had in my lifetime and he certainly leaves a healthy legacy in many ways. 
I don't remember Mccall leaving on bad terms? Obviously that changed slightly when he pitched up with Rangers just in time for the play-offs.

I genuinely wouldn't be too disappointed if Mccall came back but our budget and "business model" these days is a clearly very different to his last spell.

46 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I genuinely wouldn't be too disappointed if Mccall came back but our budget and "business model" these days is a clearly very different to his last spell.

See, I was wondering about this.

Given this time last week we were 6th coming off the back of a draw against Aberdeen to 'stop the rot' I'd be surprised if we'd actively been thinking about a new manager inside 7 days. I can see how someone like McCall could be appealing given he knows the club and knows most - if not all - the coaching staff and Burrows of course.

Kind of begs the question what we're looking for now? I know everyone's expected Lasley to have been trained up for the job but it feels like that was more likely to have been a scenario where there was a handover with Robinson having traded up rather than bailing mid-season as he has.

Are we looking for someone to come in and take us to the end of the season or are we looking for a long term guy who will have to tick all the boxes in terms of development, player trading and the like? I mean, we're probably looking for a Robinson v2.0 as an ideal.

Also, given the way the backroom team is in place I'd have thought that a pre-requisite for any candidate would be that they'd have to work with the guys who are already in place in the same way that McGhee ended up keeping Robinson on.

A few folk are talking about Tommy Wright but I'd genuinely be curious as to whether our model would be something that would appeal to him. I mean, developing players then selling them on for millions after a season (or less) seems like the complete opposite of what got him success at St Johnstone.

I thought  the comments from both Robinson and McMahon in the statement earlier did a decent job of setting the club up as a sales pitch:

“We have qualified for Europe, reached two cup finals and achieved a third-place finish, on top of developing some wonderful players in my time here.

“We cleared the club’s external debt through player sales, cup runs and league positions. The club has numerous assets going forward, and I’m sure that there will have a strong finish to the season with the brilliant coaching staff currently there."

“On the field, that entailed reaching cup finals, achieving a third-place finish and reaching European competition. Those moments will live long in the memory of supporters and will go down in our history.

“Off it, his success in player development and sales has ensured this club is in a strong financial position. His ability to rear new talent was commendable and delivered great benefit to us."

Granted we're 10th (with games in hand) but it feels like broadly we're in a more attractive place than last time we were looking for a manager.

Edited by capt_oats

35 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I don't remember Mccall leaving on bad terms? Obviously that changed slightly when he pitched up with Rangers just in time for the play-offs.

There is absolutely no way that Stuart McCall should be considered for the post.

McCall has had his time managing us and he left when he realised he had run his course. He is also a proven bottle merchant when the going gets tough and is tactically inept. Not what we need just now.

I know we as a club have a habit of trying to retrace old steps when it comes to played and manager recruitment, but we need to look ahead and not backwards. 

I will be genuinely disgusted if we bring McCall back here.

2 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

It's a very different departure than just about every other one, bar McCall and there's a lot of similarities in their tenures, some incredible highs and consistency and then a final season where they just stayed on too long and it got stale and went downhill very quickly. Both left with the vast majority of fans sad to see them go but aware it had to happen.

Such contrast from the departures of McGhee x 2, Malpas, Gannon and Baraclough.

Third time lucky, eh?

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I only have fond memories.

57 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Remembered fondly for services to us in the play offs.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

A few folk are talking about Tommy Wright but I'd genuinely be curious as to whether our model would be something that would appeal to him. I mean, developing players then selling them on for millions after a season (or less) seems like the complete opposite of what got him success at St Johnstone.

That comes on the club more than manager though. 

Remember that he brought Stevie May into the team and he was sold a year later. He signed Michael O'Halloran from the wilderness and got a wad for him a couple of years later. 

The team now has Kerr, Gordon, McCann etc... and whilst they are still in Perth, would they have been with the right brand profiles, or whatever they are called?

I'm not gonna do a hard sell on Tommy Wright but my only advice would be don't just blindly follow the misconceptions. 

Just now, ropy said:

The interview process should lay out some in game scenarios and then ask the candidate how he would deploy his resources from the bench.

There would be some key words that would get the interview stopped.

Jordan and seedorf 

Do many of you have a leaning either way on Bradford? I'm not going to pretend I follow their results or anything but I've always vaguely wanted them to do well solely because of the Claret and Amber thing.

Never felt any particular affection for Galatasaray or Roma though for some reason.