Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, Swello said:

Agree with this - if every managerial appointment is a gamble, this would would be the safest bet we could have. Probably wouldn't be very exciting but we haven't had any excitement this year anyway, so that isn't a problem.

Wright in a caretaker role till the summer

Just now, ropy said:

Wright in a caretaker role till the summer

Wright is the only one being touted/listed in polls at this early stage that I'd realistically see us going for and being able to turn it around. Like you though, he doesn't inspire me in a long term sense. 

Get him in to steady the ship and hopefully shitfest us to survival, then in the summer go baws oot on some wild, leftfield gannon-esque style punt in the hope of some actual entertainment next season. 

My take on the whole thing has largely been covered by (variously) @Desp, @thisGRAEME, @Swello and @Casagolda's posts earlier today so I won't labour it.

A bit surprised and kind of sad he's gone in so much as I thought he'd probably get the window to fix it but equally he's sounded increasingly scunnered and I wondered where he was going with his take a look at himself in the mirror chat in his post-match last night. It kind of feels like he's hit the point where it's probably a drain to keep reinventing things and for all we've been shite this season there have been games where it's clicked and we've been absolutely fine. Which I imagine makes it even more frustrating from his point of view.

He kept us up after the wheels fell off with McGhee, took us to 2 cup finals, fucked it a bit then fixed it, then took us to 3rd. I'm a big believer that managers have shelf lives and tbh I couldn't blame him if he didn't fancy a January rebuild and another full scale rebuild in the summer.

IMO he's the best manager we've had since McLean all things considered and from that point of view it's probably a good thing that he's taken the decision. It also helps his profile for any future gigs given he's going to be remembered overall as a very, very good Motherwell manager.

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'm a big believer that managers have shelf lives and tbh I couldn't blame him if he didn't fancy a January rebuild and another full scale rebuild in the summer.

I think there's a lot in that to be honest. 

With attitude problems in the squad as he has hinted at numerous times, he would have had to use the transfer window to try and put the current fire out, whilst preparing for six games in the month, rather than sunning it in Tenerife before facing another new fire in the summer. There's only so many rebuild jobs on small budgets he'd have the energy to navigate.

Most of our previous managers have had continuity in the squad, a healthy budget or both. For me, Robinson has had neither and you have to factor that in when judging how good a job he done.

I think it was time for him to go, but as I said last night, he seemed very conscientious, a nice guy and achieved a lot for the club, so he'll leave with my best wishes. 

It's a very different departure than just about every other one, bar McCall and there's a lot of similarities in their tenures, some incredible highs and consistency and then a final season where they just stayed on too long and it got stale and went downhill very quickly. Both left with the vast majority of fans sad to see them go but aware it had to happen.

Such contrast from the departures of McGhee x 2, Malpas, Gannon and Baraclough.

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

It's a very different departure than just about every other one, bar McCall and there's a lot of similarities in their tenures, some incredible highs and consistency and then a final season where they just stayed on too long and it got stale and went downhill very quickly. Both left with the vast majority of fans sad to see them go but aware it had to happen.

Such contrast from the departures of McGhee x 2, Malpas, Gannon and Baraclough.

I think the "manager who has done well but ultimately gone stale" type departures are the worst of the genre. Usually you either get the catharsis of hating someone for jumping ship for a better job or the celebration when an incompetent clown gets their jotters.

@capt_oats has hit the nail on the head tbh. Best manager we've had in my lifetime and it'll take quite a lot of beating. 

He sounded a bit fucked with it last night. I'm quite sad about him leaving but I don't blame him. He's maybe just scunnered with the thought of another bloody rebuild in January with the state of our squad. 

There's definitely a good number of the players should be ashamed of themselves. While tactically there's been some strange decisions, there's a heap of the players appear to have downed tools. 

Hopefully training today was just Mo Ross going full Clockwork Orange on the first team to show them how fuckin hopeless they've been:

clockwork orange no GIF

27 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think the "manager who has done well but ultimately gone stale" type departures are the worst of the genre. Usually you either get the catharsis of hating someone for jumping ship for a better job or the celebration when an incompetent clown gets their jotters.

I thought Barraclough's departure was the one that broke the mould as it was neither - he was clearly a nice guy who wasn't working out and there was no satisfaction in him going. Craig "I'll speak to Aberdeen out of courtesy" Brown on the other hand, I'm still massively bitter about years later.